Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first 1,000. I know there is/was an issue with GMS pricing on the first 1,000. I know that for certain. But, I thought it was all resolved and employees or family members COULD purchase at MSRP.

If this is the case, this is going to put a sour taste in many peoples mouths.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Josh said:
One of the first 1,000. I know there is/was an issue with GMS pricing on the first 1,000. I know that for certain. But, I thought it was all resolved and employees or family members COULD purchase at MSRP.

The program is designed to get the car into the hands of the NON gm/new consumer. They want to bring attention to the GM brand. You can't do that with a lot of the cars going to GM employees or relatives. They typically already buy gm because of the discount.

Its actually a pretty good marketing move. I understand why people are upset, but it makes sense from a marketing perspective.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A GM employee (or relative such as myself) is going to drive it just as much, spread just as much word about it through sites like this, word of mouth, etc as a non-GM employee would. I'm waiting for official clarification through a contact with Pontiac before I let my blood pressure sky rocket.

·
5,641 Posts
Josh said:

Sorry you hadn't picked up on this as you had been reading this site recently.

During a dealer order program training broadcast on the 23rd of March, the restriction on Employee orders was made know to dealers. Then when dealers received the actual rules on the 29th, it was there in black and white. It was explained that the restriction was to keep "insiders" who would have the appearance of an advantage from getting cars instead of the general public.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just looked at the official rules for registering online

"Employees, officers, and directors of General Motors Corporation, its subsidiaries, affiliated companies, Dealerships, advertising and promotion agencies, and those associated with the development, distribution or implementation of this promotion, their immediate families (including parents, in-laws, siblings, children, spouse or partners, regardless of where they live) and members of the same household, whether related or not, are not eligible to participate. However, GM retirees may participate but GMS discounts cannot be applied to these first 1,000 exclusive retail orders. Maximum of five (5) vehicles are available per Participating Dealer, while quantities last. Dealers and dealership employees may not participate, register, order, or purchase on behalf of a customer"

Better give your neighbor a wad of cash and send him to the dealer.

Interesting that dealers themselves are excuded. Why do I now think that about 950 of these first 1000 will end up in the hands of slimeball dealers?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Employees, officers, and directors of General Motors Corporation, its subsidiaries, affiliated companies, Dealerships, advertising and promotion agencies, and those associated with the development, distribution or implementation of this promotion, their immediate families (including parents, in-laws, siblings, children, spouse or partners, regardless of where they live) and members of the same household,"

The way I'm reading that is people related specifically to the Solstice are not eligible. I should stop grasping at straws here, huh?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well, no dealers can do it, sales people or anyone related to the dealer cant order. They also will call all 1000 people to confirm eligability chances of it being scammed are pretty tough although still possible.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Dealers are prohibited from ordering for a couple of reasons:

1) the first 1000 are not part of the dealership 4 month allocation. If the dealer were to order and get any of the first 1000, that's like getting more than their allocation,

2) Imagine how many cars would actually get out to the public if the dealers all had first crack at the first 1000? About one, or maybe two. The rest would be sucked up by every dealer around and show up on ebay or be re-sold for +$$$ above MSRP.

I think it's a smart move. Sucks for some, but still a smart move. I bet the limitations on relatives is because of the potential for "switched" purchases. If they did allow family or supplier to order them, and a GM employee really wanted one, they call their sister or their good friend that qualifies, and have THEM order it, then repurchase the car.

I can also see how this works for retirees - switch purchases are much less likely, since if a retiree is eligible and they buy one, they prolly really want one.

Can't say I disagree with you Josh, about exposure, but I don't think that's the major reason why. I think it is an attempt by Pontiac to limit the loopholes to make sure the cars actually get to CUSTOMERS not DEALERS, AT MSRP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Retiree Family Members?

So if retirees are eligible for the first 1,000, are their family members eligible as well?

·
Registered
338 Posts
me3head said:
I called Pontiac and asked them, and no one there knew either!!
Retirees and their families are eligible, but cannot use any retiree discount certificates or GM Retiree discount, ie: Yes, but you (or your family members) will pay MSRP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts