Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a FIRST 1000 member. After contacting my dealer about my Solstice today, I was shocked by the dealer's cocky attitude...about the allocation of cars outside of the 1st 1000 group.

I asked if my order had been picked up. The dealer wasn't sure and suggested that I call back late Tuesday or early Wednesday. However, he went on to say that I was lucky to get a 1st 1,000 car because the price is guaranteed not to exceed retail.

However, the dealer went on to say that their 4-car allocation (outside of the 1st 1000 group) will have a mark-up of at least $3,000. Although the vehicles are not sold (and will not be sold until they arrive), this could cause a bidding war when they're delivered.

If you're buying an allocation vehicle, I would suggest making your deal now before dealers suffer from price amnesia.

RJINAZ

06 Cool | 2-Tone Leather | Polished Wheels | Huge Smile |Upgraded Audio | XM

·
Registered
27 Posts
This kind of stuff makes me angry :brentil:

Who are they to mark up a car just because it is Hot.

GM should do something about this. If they (the dealer) wants to mark it up
just so they can make more money is totaly wrong and everyone should
stay FAR away from this dealership.

I'm sure Bob Lutz would get upset since he promised the car would be available under $20k

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Craigar said:
This kind of stuff makes me angry :brentil:

Who are they to mark up a car just because it is Hot.

GM should do something about this. If they (the dealer) wants to mark it up
just so they can make more money is totaly wrong and everyone should
stay FAR away from this dealership.

I'm sure Bob Lutz would get upset since he promised the car would be available under $20k
I would assume that most dealers would have sold their allocation cars by now. It's unfortunate that a few managers at one dealership operate prefer to operate as morons.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Realistically, GM can't do much about greedy dealers. If they tried, they'd be sued for restraint of trade, etc.

I'm afraid that we'll see a fair amount of gouging through the end of the year, as supply of Solstices will likely fall far short of demand. Once the Sky is out, though, and a similar vehicle is available at MSRP, Pontiac dealers may have to follow suit.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Since 1990 I've purchased 9 new cars, all GM...the Solstice will be the tenth. I hate the buying experiance, dealers like this one make it a negative purchase when it should be enjoyable. I love new cars, it's the dealers I can't stand!!!

I know there are good dealers out there but you're the ones being sullied by these bozo's. Their bad actions hurt you as bad as me! You are the ones who need to join us and complain to GM about these clowns.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is identical to what happened with the elise, didn't affect me as I was lucky enough to be #1. But other people were told horror stories about dealer markup. Now you can get a brand new elise for $2k UNDER msrp. Same situation will be with the solstice, once the got to be firsts who're willing to pay markup for the solstice have theirs, they'll be msrp or better. Mark my words, winter of 06, these cars will be discounted.

BTW>My dealer maintains they won't markup their cars but I'll believe that when I see it.

Chris

·
Registered
157 Posts
You know, I think people need to understand that car dealers are a business and businesses exist to make money. Now don't get me wrong, I would never pay over sticker for a car...I wouldn't even pay sticker (I am going to be paying under sticker for my EOP car thanks to my family having bought 14 cars from the dealership I am getting it through). But the fact of the matter is that the dealers would only charge over sticker if someone is willing to pay it. It's simple supply and demand and it occurs in almost everything you buy.

When new DVDs come out they are 19.99-22.99 and then a year later they are in the 5.50 or 9.99 bin at Wal-Mart. Plasma and DLP TVs were 10K plus when they came out and now they are $1500-2000. Cell phones, etc. all work the same way. If you want to be the first one on your block to have one then you gotta pay to play.

I personally believe that it is a better business model to sell them at sticker and that you will make more long term customers and thus more profit in the long run. (Heck, that's the whole reason my family has bought so many cars at the same dealership...we paid $800 under sticker on the first Denali in our town when other dealers were getting 2-5K over sticker). But it is their right to charge over sticker...they are just trying to maximize their profit, which IS THEIR REASON FOR EXISTANCE. I mean, it's not like they make tons of money moving all the current GM models at invoice...when was the last time a Pontiac dealer really had a hot product that was affordable (you can't really count the Corvette, XLR, etc.).

On top of that you guys act like this is unheard of and it's just greedy "GM" dealers. Mazda dealers were doing it with the Mazdaspeed Miata and RX-8s, Nissan 350Z, Ford GT, BMW Z3 & Z8, Chrysler PT Cruiser and Crossfire...the list goes on and on. The truth is that they will sell it for what the market will bear and if you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the stupid moron that pays 3-10K over sticker for a car that will be worth 5-10K UNDER sticker in a year or so.

If you don't want to pay over sticker, then by all means wait (it is what I would be doing...like I said above, I wouldn't even pay sticker price for a car). But just because you don't want to pay a premium to have it now and can't get what you want right away seems like sour grapes to me. Argh....I guess I need some sleep....I sure am grumpy tonight. :willy:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Another GREAT example is trying to book a hotel room when an event/convention is going on. Almost anywhere the prices are jacked up to a HUGE amount and people just pay it. Do I see people in an uproar calling for the CEO's head?

BTW, I 'used' to have a hospitality career.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
But it is their right to charge over sticker...they are just trying to maximize their profit, which IS THEIR REASON FOR EXISTANCE.
You're right, of course, but it is a very short-sighted business model. They are sacrificing long-term goodwill, and the possibility of future purchases, for a little extra profit now. I talked to a dealer that wanted a $1500 premium, and not only did I not order from them, I will never buy anything from them. I found a dealer that will sell for msrp, and they have my order, and will very likely get future business, and recommendations from me.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Editguy said:
You're right, of course, but it is a very short-sighted business model. They are sacrificing long-term goodwill, and the possibility of future purchases, for a little extra profit now. I talked to a dealer that wanted a $1500 premium, and not only did I not order from them, I will never buy anything from them. I found a dealer that will sell for msrp, and they have my order, and will very likely get future business, and recommendations from me.
:thumbs:

·
Registered
292 Posts
On top of that you guys act like this is unheard of and it's just greedy "GM" dealers. Mazda dealers were doing it with the Mazdaspeed Miata and RX-8s, Nissan 350Z, Ford GT, BMW Z3 & Z8, Chrysler PT Cruiser and Crossfire...the list goes on and on. The truth is that they will sell it for what the market will bear and if you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the stupid moron that pays 3-10K over sticker for a car that will be worth 5-10K UNDER sticker in a year or so.
I was almost one of those morons. LOL :) After missing out on the first year PT Cruiser. I drove 90 miles to make a "deal" with a dealer to pay 2K over MSRP because he said the vehicle was on the way to his lot as we spoke. I came back home sold my old car to use as a down payment. After almost two months of waiting and numerous calls to my dealer, I call Chrysler's hot line and they tell me the the vehicle is still sitting at the factory in Mexico. Then I just happen to be on line checking out a dealers inventories and low and behold there is a Cruiser exactly as I ordered, 15 minutes away. I call to see what the mark up is an low and behold it's MSRP, not a penny more. I told them I was on my way. It was a Saturday and I drove it home less than two hours later. Now get this. The first dealer had the nerve to get pissed at ME when I called and told him to tear up my deposit check. Wanted to know if I'd reconcider if he "could get his manager to drop the 2K mark up". Needless to say I was LMAO.
Moral of the story. DO NOT PAY MORE THAN MSRP.

·
Registered
249 Posts
True, If we are going to blame the dealers for charging over sticker, we have to blame the fools that allow them to do this because they pay over sticker.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
mcronec5 said:
True, If we are going to blame the dealers for charging over sticker, we have to blame the fools that allow them to do this because they pay over sticker.
:agree:
If no one paid it it would hurt them in the end because while everyone else was selling cars they'd have their s sitting on the lot. Could even effect their next allocation who knows (why would GM ship you more cars when you have not sold the first ones?)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I went with a friend to a local Ford dealership because he wanted to look at the new Mustangs. He wants a GT of course, but this dealerhsip has them supposedly back ordered till Oct time frame. They said all of their 2005 allotments were sold and any new orders would be 2006 models. The sales person kept giving us a bunch of BS too. Like they couldn't give us official pricing on a GT UNLESS he started all the paperwork. That they were marking them up, but as said previously they wouldn't say how much. That supposedly Ford actually causes some of these markups by charging the dealerhsip more for certain GT's due to color/options (huge load of BS, we know the car maker doesn't add any type of inflation costs, it's all dealerhsip costs). It was a giant crap load of BS, and we just pretended to go along with it so we could look at the cars we wnated to see. We walked out of the dealership and I turned to my friend and told him all the lies the sales person was saying so he would never get trapped in those types of dealer traps to make you pay more because you don't know any better. :brentil:

·
Registered
705 Posts
C5Vette said:
When new DVDs come out they are 19.99-22.99 and then a year later they are in the 5.50 or 9.99 bin at Wal-Mart. Plasma and DLP TVs were 10K plus when they came out and now they are $1500-2000. Cell phones, etc. all work the same way. If you want to be the first one on your block to have one then you gotta pay to play. :willy:
Yeah your right but when I go buy that DVD they don't try to soak me for more then the asking price, they don't need to go talk to their manager, they don't dealer 'prep' it, they don't give it to the next guy for less, they don't send me to the finance guy to shake me down for extended warranty's or worthless DVD fabric protectant, they don't offer me a tiny sum for my last DVD...in short dealers have a long deserved reputation for making the biggest profit without concern for repeat business. Their goal is to take you for whatever they can get. I know this is changing but I do not forgive being preyed on for years over-night!

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Pterosaur said:
Yeah your right but when I go buy that DVD they don't try to soak me for more then the asking price, they don't need to go talk to their manager, they don't dealer 'prep' it, they don't give it to the next guy for less, they don't send me to the finance guy to shake me down for extended warranty's or worthless DVD fabric protectant, they don't offer me a tiny sum for my last DVD...in short dealers have a long deserved reputation for making the biggest profit without concern for repeat business. Their goal is to take you for whatever they can get. I know this is changing but I do not forgive being preyed on for years over-night!
You've obviously never been to Circuit City. :lol:

Just kidding with ya. I've walked out of a dealership twice because of the same crap. I told everyone I could about them too. :rant: The dealership is an outdated sales model. I should be able to buy straight from Pontiac or at the very least go to an AutoCity that sells every type of car and just takes care of the ordering and delivery process for you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the smart dealers are the ones filling their order books at MSRP. the markups will not last, and potential buyers who turn away from a dealer marking them up - won't come back to them. Chrysler dealers killed the crossfire with this practice in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
nyca said:
the smart dealers are the ones filling their order books at MSRP. the markups will not last, and potential buyers who turn away from a dealer marking them up - won't come back to them.
Sure, don't hold the cars on the lot at markup, move 'em out and get more while the MSRP bandwagon is in town.

:agree:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ordered today..Paying MSRP

I had to call a dealer in Florida (Im in Maryland now) that I bought cars from in the past to even order one. I contacted 6 local dealers to be told not to even bother with ordering becasue they werent getting any fulfilled anyway. I know I'll have to wait...but isnt anything good even better when you have to wait?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts