Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was miss-informed on what I was goinig to see. This was a pre-production VIN 100570 going around Orlando/Central Florida. Nice Red color. I was under the assumption this was a EOP car. However it's good it wasn't cause I got to sit in it and poke-prod stuff as much as I wanted.

I got to sit in my first Solstice. I have to say all my fears are gone. Added some of my coments vs the MSM and Z3 since they're the only other modern Roadsters I've driven. This is NOT a knock on the MSM, it's a valid comparison for those who tried it and had various height based issues that stopped them from beeing able to drive one like me (because otherwise I would have bought the MSM).
  • I perfectly fit with the roof up!!! I had a good half inch above my hair (which I spike up) to the roof when sitting completely upright. I'm 5'10" but I have a short inseem so I sit like I'm over 6'. In the MSM the roof crushed my hair and rested on my skull even while slouching down. Headroom height was very comparable to the Z3.
  • Thanks to the tilt wheel I can see the guages perfectly fine. I don't remember having a big issue with the Z3 or MSM with this, but the wheels on both of those did slightly cover the very tops of the guages.
  • The AFBTSs block my line of site as much as the pillars in my wifes RSX. I'm used to having very miniimal blind spots from my ZX2, it's just an issue of me becoming more accustomed to using side/rearview mirros more then I'm used to. I've only driven the Z3 and MSM with the roof down, so no comments on those cars.
  • Side mirros are small, but sufficient. Since I didn't drive the Solstice I didn't get to test them in traffic, but they're comparable to the MSM and Z3.
  • The rearview mirror is perfectly designed to encompass the entire rear window, which (the rear window) amasinigly supplies a very nice rearward view. Comparable to Z3 mirror. In the MSM I sit so tall I had to put the rearview mirror in night-brightlight viewing mode because it doesn't tilt up high enough to even see out the back of the car.
  • The clutch ended up being better then my ZX2 S/R, and I already loved the clutch throw on the ZX2. It was much better then the older Z3 and I'd say on par with the MSM. I can definitely see this being very easy to blip on down shifts.
  • Shifter throw distance is nice, and gave very good gate feedback that let me know when I was in a gear. I had issues with the MSM being too smooth that I was very unsure if I had engaged it completely. The Z3 had good feedback, but not as good as the new Solstice (Z3 was an older 97).
  • The windshield height is high enough for me to look out of it without issues at all. I wouldn't complain if it was a bit taller though. The sun visors are very small and reverse fold flush with the surround, but if you're like me it's a major plus. The Z3 seemed to have more viewable space up and down since it's less angled, but the Solstice seems to have more left to right since it's more rounded and doesn't have little side windows. MSM is very much like the Z3 but when I sit in it completely upright I'm stairing directly at the windshield surround. It's actually easier to see over the windshield then under at that point. When I slouch down in order to see enough to drive the sun visors then take up a good 1/3 of my vission.
  • With my build I sit high enough I can put my arm on the window. It's at a slight angle upwards, but still doable. However the only reason I did this is because it seems important to a lot of people. Persoally my left arm is never in the window unless I'm stuck in rush hour traffic, which isn't very often. I've got cruiise cocntrol on my Solstice but I don't plan on ever using it, so while driving there is absolutely no reason my left arm should ever be away from the stearinig wheel. MSM & Z3 have much lower doors so arm resting is very easy on them. However this is part of the reason I like the Solstice. All my larger friends who own the Z3 or Miata who sit in them look so out of place in this low down car with such low doors. Like they're in a Shriner car. I love how you look like you're down in the car, instead of riding on the car.
  • This car is HOT

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am 5'10" with a short inseam. My girlfriend is the same with a long inseam. As such, I sit much more reclined than she does. Funny how the same dimensions on you cause you to sit upright with the seat forward as opposed to reclining the seat further. (I admit in feverish driving, I sit with my back off of the seat.)

In the Miata (or MSM), the top blocks your view as bad or worse than the AFBTSs. It's just the area blocked is in the interior as opposed to on the decklid. Really no difference, though like you, I was impressed with the rearward visibility with such a small backlight. Worked really well. And yes, you do get used to using the mirrors (trusting them is the hard part!)

You're right on the clutch feel. You do get used to the Miata clutch though. It's second nature to me, but yes, the Solstice feels better.

With my reclined driving position, resting my arm on the sill was totally impossible. This was a major reason I was leaning away from the Solstice, but I found that it didn't bother me as much as thought it would. Not as bad as the S2000 feel.

Yes, the car is hot.

Tony

·
4,592 Posts
Good review!!!

I like the comparison with the MSM and BMW, I did the same with my review, gives people a chance to compare it to something they might alreay know something about.

I REALLY would have loved to hear a review on the ride/drive capabilities, oh well, someday.

Your review reflects on the point I made, SIZE.......bigger people need a bigger car, plain and simple.......If you are too large for a NB Miata, the Sol WILL be a good fit.

Thanks for sharing, now go find one you can drive, I want another perspective on MSM v Sol comparison based on ride and drive :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RODEO said:
I REALLY would have loved to hear a review on the ride/drive capabilities, oh well, someday.
Thanks for sharing, now go find one you can drive, I want another perspective on MSM v Sol comparison based on ride and drive :)
Mine should arrive in the next 2-3 weeks. When I get done driving all over the plaace I'll come expand my thoughts on this. :D

·
4,592 Posts
brentil said:
Mine should arrive in the next 2-3 weeks. When I get done driving all over the plaace I'll come expand my thoughts on this. :D
When you do, drive your new Sol over to a MSM dealer, and do a test drive back to back with a Sol..........

I can't wait :lurk:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thanks to a VERY nice owner I finally got to sit in one too! #488 got delivered this week and the owner allowed the dealer to keep it on the floor one day (What a guy! Really sorry about the drool on the leather, undestand saddle soap will clean it right up). I fit very well but I'm only 5'8", tall torso, short legs. Finally got to see in real life everything I've heard about, the Myan Temple, GM "chicklet", tiny storage, clear film on the rear deck, panel fit/finish, yadda yadda...

Flat out an amazing quality car for under 25K, just amazing! I do not wish to sound cold but after seeing it in the flesh I will have a hard time listening to complaints about anything on this vehicle (besides true quality/repair issues). I mean seriously folks, all this for 25K???

I needed this shot in the arm, thoughts of bailing have been foremost in my mind...not today (maybe again tomorrow :lol: )

·
Registered
2 Posts
How will I fit?

I'm sort - 4'11" - How do you think it will be for us shorties?

brentil said:
Was miss-informed on what I was goinig to see. This was a pre-production VIN 100570 going around Orlando/Central Florida. Nice Red color. I was under the assumption this was a EOP car. However it's good it wasn't cause I got to sit in it and poke-prod stuff as much as I wanted.

I got to sit in my first Solstice. I have to say all my fears are gone. Added some of my coments vs the MSM and Z3 since they're the only other modern Roadsters I've driven. This is NOT a knock on the MSM, it's a valid comparison for those who tried it and had various height based issues that stopped them from beeing able to drive one like me (because otherwise I would have bought the MSM).
  • I perfectly fit with the roof up!!! I had a good half inch above my hair (which I spike up) to the roof when sitting completely upright. I'm 5'10" but I have a short inseem so I sit like I'm over 6'. In the MSM the roof crushed my hair and rested on my skull even while slouching down. Headroom height was very comparable to the Z3.
  • Thanks to the tilt wheel I can see the guages perfectly fine. I don't remember having a big issue with the Z3 or MSM with this, but the wheels on both of those did slightly cover the very tops of the guages.
  • The AFBTSs block my line of site as much as the pillars in my wifes RSX. I'm used to having very miniimal blind spots from my ZX2, it's just an issue of me becoming more accustomed to using side/rearview mirros more then I'm used to. I've only driven the Z3 and MSM with the roof down, so no comments on those cars.
  • Side mirros are small, but sufficient. Since I didn't drive the Solstice I didn't get to test them in traffic, but they're comparable to the MSM and Z3.
  • The rearview mirror is perfectly designed to encompass the entire rear window, which (the rear window) amasinigly supplies a very nice rearward view. Comparable to Z3 mirror. In the MSM I sit so tall I had to put the rearview mirror in night-brightlight viewing mode because it doesn't tilt up high enough to even see out the back of the car.
  • The clutch ended up being better then my ZX2 S/R, and I already loved the clutch throw on the ZX2. It was much better then the older Z3 and I'd say on par with the MSM. I can definitely see this being very easy to blip on down shifts.
  • Shifter throw distance is nice, and gave very good gate feedback that let me know when I was in a gear. I had issues with the MSM being too smooth that I was very unsure if I had engaged it completely. The Z3 had good feedback, but not as good as the new Solstice (Z3 was an older 97).
  • The windshield height is high enough for me to look out of it without issues at all. I wouldn't complain if it was a bit taller though. The sun visors are very small and reverse fold flush with the surround, but if you're like me it's a major plus. The Z3 seemed to have more viewable space up and down since it's less angled, but the Solstice seems to have more left to right since it's more rounded and doesn't have little side windows. MSM is very much like the Z3 but when I sit in it completely upright I'm stairing directly at the windshield surround. It's actually easier to see over the windshield then under at that point. When I slouch down in order to see enough to drive the sun visors then take up a good 1/3 of my vission.
  • With my build I sit high enough I can put my arm on the window. It's at a slight angle upwards, but still doable. However the only reason I did this is because it seems important to a lot of people. Persoally my left arm is never in the window unless I'm stuck in rush hour traffic, which isn't very often. I've got cruiise cocntrol on my Solstice but I don't plan on ever using it, so while driving there is absolutely no reason my left arm should ever be away from the stearinig wheel. MSM & Z3 have much lower doors so arm resting is very easy on them. However this is part of the reason I like the Solstice. All my larger friends who own the Z3 or Miata who sit in them look so out of place in this low down car with such low doors. Like they're in a Shriner car. I love how you look like you're down in the car, instead of riding on the car.
  • This car is HOT

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
naoki said:
Brentil, was this at McNamara? (I was there too)
Yup, it was.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
OMG! for sh*t's sake guys, tell me how sweet the red looks in person compared to pics!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dotti Trulin said:
I'm sort - 4'11" - How do you think it will be for us shorties?
Unfortunately I don't know. I'll asak my wife her iimpressions tomorrow when she wakes up. She's 5'.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dori-san said:
OMG! for sh*t's sake guys, tell me how sweet the red looks in person compared to pics!
I hate red cars, and this was HOT.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
B, depending on when we ACTUALLY get the cars and scheduling conflicts we've ALL got to meet up sometime soon! I think it may be nearing time to organize our first FL meet. When is Troy gonna give us regional sections? And don't forget, I'll totally help mod the SE section, cause any minute I'm not working or sleeping I'm on this forum!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I agree. I think SE Solstice owners should schedule a meet somewhere. I know that I would offer our business as a location for such a meet. I personally am very jealous of all owners. Since I "technically" cannot have one right now.

BTW - We have #238 sitting in our showroom for another few weeks thanks to the charity of the owner.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MSG_McKee said:
How much hotter would it be with the Sky's red/black interior? ;) :cool:
HOT + 10 !!!

I want to find out how much those seats cost when the Sky comes out and possibly get them to put in my Solstice.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dori-san said:
B, depending on when we ACTUALLY get the cars and scheduling conflicts we've ALL got to meet up sometime soon! I think it may be nearing time to organize our first FL meet. When is Troy gonna give us regional sections? And don't forget, I'll totally help mod the SE section, cause any minute I'm not working or sleeping I'm on this forum!
Unfortunately Troys been occupied as of recently. We've talked about a bunch of this stuff, but it's Troys call and only he can do it too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts