Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Just be glad you can learn from a stupid moderator who continues to make all the mistakes first :(

Got my first ding today and I did it myself :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy:

Was loading a golf bag into the trunk. It's a little awkward because of the clamshell trunk and the height of the rear (it's higher than you think!). I lifted it up and started to move it toward the trunk. I had the bag high enough but it was a walking bag and has those plastic legs and the legs must have been hanging down a bit and one hit the side of the rear quarter panel.

It was not a hard hit and I expected only a scratch at best. When I got out into the sunshine I was a bit shocked to see it had dinged the metal (no paint problem just a 1 or 2mm indent). Makes me wonder if the hydroformed sheetmetal is more prone to dings?

Looks horrible because of where it is...high/middle of the rear quarter panel. Anyone know if a body shop can get a very small ding out? How about Pontiac service people? Do they have some kind of suction cup thing that can pop it back or am I stuck with this?

I'll post a tip in the owners tips and tricks about being careful about loading stuff into the trunk.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
mceb said:
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Just be glad you can learn from a stupid moderator who continues to make all the mistakes first :(

Got my first ding today and I did it myself :willy: :willy:

Was loading a golf bag into the trunk. It's a little awkward because of the clamshell trunk and the height of the rear (it's higher than you think!). I lifted it up and started to move it toward the trunk. I had the bag high enough but it was a walking bag and has those plastic legs and the legs must have been hanging down a bit and one hit the side of the rear quarter panel.

It was not a hard hit and I expected only a scratch at best. When I got out into the sunshine I was a bit shocked to see it had dinged the metal (no paint problem just a 1 or 2mm indent). Makes me wonder if the hydroformed sheetmetal is more prone to dings?

Looks horrible because of where it is...high/middle of the rear quarter panel. Anyone know if a body shop can get a very small ding out? How about Pontiac service people? Do they have some kind of suction cup thing that can pop it back or am I stuck with this?

I'll post a tip in the owners tips and tricks about being careful about loading into the trunk.
There are body techs that specialize in paintless ding removal. Check the yellow pages. Sorry for your loss. :(

·
5,600 Posts
Man, that is rotten all the way around. You must feel terrible. I'd be upset. It isn't the end of the world but it may feel like that today.

This won't really help, but if you think about all the brave servicemen who have returned from Iraq without a hand or a foot, a little ding in your car doesn't seem like such a bid deal. Just trying to help. What can I say?

·
Registered
175 Posts
mceb said:
: Anyone know if a body shop can get a very small ding out?
Bet your dealer can refer you to a paintless dent removal guy. A lot of used car lots hire indepentants to remove door dings. Very common.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i did a ding

mceb i beat you by one day-grocery boy was trying to put a pop cube in the trunk and i opened my door into the corner of a table-paint okay but there is a little dent-i feel terrilbe-and i know how bad you feel. my own stupidity

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jimbo said:
This won't really help, but if you think about all the brave servicemen who have returned from Iraq without a hand or a foot, a little ding in your car doesn't seem like such a bid deal. Just trying to help. What can I say?
Yup, ding is not bad compared to that...keeps it in perspective :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Ding help

oldlady said:
mceb i beat you by one day-grocery boy was trying to put a pop cube in the trunk and i opened my door into the corner of a table-paint okay but there is a little dent-i feel terrilbe-and i know how bad you feel. my own stupidity
You should of bought beer at lease you could have drowned your sorrows.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Those paint-less dent repair people can work wonders. It sounds like your ding is not too bad. Definately look one up!

I think their prices are fairly reasonable too, compared to traditional body repair. Since they don't have to prep or paint anything, your really just paying for an hour or two so of labor, depending on how easy it is for them to get it out.

·
Registered
944 Posts
mceb said:
Makes me wonder if the hydroformed sheetmetal is more prone to dings?
I keep wondering if there is going to be major problem with this car down the road. I hope your preminition is wrong. Why couldn't they have made those lines with the Saturn polymer? dog'on it!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
silversolstice said:
I keep wondering if there is going to be major problem with this car down the road. I hope your preminition is wrong. Why couldn't they have made those lines with the Saturn polymer? dog'on it!
I doubt it's any more susceptible to dings than any other car. Sometimes it's just the angle, not the power behind the hit, that does the damage. Kinda like rocks hitting the windshield. Sometimes they leave damage, and sometimes they don't.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stang said:
Sorry man. Got any pics of it. It would be nice to see the ding and the fix. Then you can pretend you did it a lesson on Solstice repairs. ;)
I just took one but the flash makes it look worse....the flash catches in the ding like a little sun !

Attachments

·
5,600 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
You should of bought beer at lease you could have drowned your sorrows.
ALWAYS a good suggestion of last resort! :lol:

And sometimes first resort...

·
5,600 Posts
Why can't that be hammered out from inside the trunk?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Been using a place called Dent Wizard. Sometimes listed as Dent Dr.
Miracle worker depending on where the dent is located.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mceb,

Don't sweat it man that is an easy fix for a good paintless dent shop. My car got caught in a bad hail storm and the damage was so bad I thought about selling the car "as is" because there was no way they could fix it right. I was shocked when I went to pick up the car, I couldn't spot a single ding/dent and there was some huge ones that needed to be repaired. From the looks of that ding it should be no problem.

Here is a website that describes the process...

The Fine Art of Paintless Dent Removal

Here is some tools if you want to give it a shot...

Tools

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
kyoung said:
Here is some tools if you want to give it a shot...

Tools
If anyone decides to try this, experiment on something that doesn't matter first. The art of sheet metal work takes time and practice.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts