Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had my chance to sit in a Solstice yesterday at the Massachusetts Ride and Drive thing for dealers. I came away with two distinct observations.

1. This is definitely a $20,000 roadster. It’s beautiful but has very few bells and whistles to round out the interior and raise it to the level of a car that anyone should shell out $30,000 for. Unless your totally impetuous and influenced by these production delays no one should pay more than MSRP for it. I know these are probably ‘mules’, but the body panels don’t fit together as well as my Neon SRT-4. The panel that covers the top when it is down was lifted slightly on one side of all the ones that I looked at.
2. I’m 5’-6” tall and plan to install 3”- 4” spacers under the drivers seat in order to get a clear unobstructed view out the windshield.
That being said, I can’t wait to get mine and will probably trade up to the turbo next year because I am impetuous. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
flaj said:
I finally had my chance to sit in a Solstice yesterday at the Massachusetts Ride and Drive thing for dealers. I came away with two distinct observations.

1. This is definitely a $20,000 roadster. It’s beautiful but has very few bells and whistles to round out the interior and raise it to the level of a car that anyone should shell out $30,000 for. Unless your totally impetuous and influenced by these production delays no one should pay more than MSRP for it. I know these are probably ‘mules’, but the body panels don’t fit together as well as my Neon SRT-4. The panel that covers the top when it is down was lifted slightly on one side of all the ones that I looked at.
2. I’m 5’-6” tall and plan to install 3”- 4” spacers under the drivers seat in order to get a clear unobstructed view out the windshield.
That being said, I can’t wait to get mine and will probably trade up to the turbo next year because I am impetuous. :)
Very few bells and whistles....isn't that what a ROADSTER is suppose to be!! ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SCISOLSTICE said:
The deck lid was not properly closed thats why it stuck up.See other thread that adresses that issue.
Granted, but my 1958 or 1960 Corvette didn't give me that option and that was 45 years ago. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Hmm, Driver Information Center, Leather seats, Leather steering wheel, Leather shift nob, 6 disc mp3 cd changer with external aux-in, fog lights, Cruise Control, Stereo and CC controls on the steering wheel....

These sound like some pretty nice bells and whistles to me. Plus, although they may not be considered bells and whistles, you have power windows, remote keyless entry, remote trunk release, A/C...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Primus said:
Hmm, Driver Information Center, Leather seats, Leather steering wheel, Leather shift nob, 6 disc mp3 cd changer with external aux-in, fog lights, Cruise Control, Stereo and CC controls on the steering wheel....

These sound like some pretty nice bells and whistles to me. Plus, although they may not be considered bells and whistles, you have power windows, remote keyless entry, remote trunk release, A/C...
I guess your right. The one that I sat in didn't have leather so it kind of gave me a feeling that something was missing. I think I need to spend some time with this little bad boy with all the options to really make a good judgment. :yesnod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
You are right though. I have seen some of the base models and they do have that, "something's missing" feel to them IMO. That's why I ordered mine with just about every option. I think it really gives more of a quality feel to the interiors.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
flaj said:
I finally had my chance to sit in a Solstice yesterday at the Massachusetts Ride and Drive thing for dealers. I came away with two distinct observations.

1. This is definitely a $20,000 roadster. It’s beautiful but has very few bells and whistles to round out the interior and raise it to the level of a car that anyone should shell out $30,000 for. Unless your totally impetuous and influenced by these production delays no one should pay more than MSRP for it. I know these are probably ‘mules’, but the body panels don’t fit together as well as my Neon SRT-4. The panel that covers the top when it is down was lifted slightly on one side of all the ones that I looked at.
2. I’m 5’-6” tall and plan to install 3”- 4” spacers under the drivers seat in order to get a clear unobstructed view out the windshield.
That being said, I can’t wait to get mine and will probably trade up to the turbo next year because I am impetuous. :)

Flaj, I, also attended yesterday's event and agree that it's pretty much all business. No rosewood dash etc. it does come across as pretty uncomplicated inside. I'm not worried about the fit on what we saw. These are mules that are ridden hard and put away wet. What came across clearly to me was that they compared very favorably with the S2000 and the Miata which were present. All three ars straightforward roadsters with the Sol clearly the best in my opinion in the looks department. Having seen all three together I don't know why anyone would pay more for either of the other two. Now, I also rode in two Sols yesterday and that was where the worth of the car became far more obvious. Nothing you can buy for under $30k can do what that car did wih me in it yesterday. I was blown away by the performance.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
flaj,

You said that you were going to install seat spacers so that you get an unobstructed view.

I am 5'7", and my wife is 5'5". Would you please go into a little bit of detail about how the view was when you were seated?

Could you see out the sides okay?
Could you see out the rear view mirror okay?
What about blind spots?

I would hate to think that I have waited awhile for this car, only to have to reject it because of the views from inside.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BadAzSolstice said:
flaj,

You said that you were going to install seat spacers so that you get an unobstructed view.

I am 5'7", and my wife is 5'5". Would you please go into a little bit of detail about how the view was when you were seated?

Could you see out the sides okay?
Could you see out the rear view mirror okay?
What about blind spots?

I would hate to think that I have waited awhile for this car, only to have to reject it because of the views from inside.
Unobstructed was a poor choice of words. I like the feeling of seeing the front of the car when I’m driving, probably from all those years of racing go karts. In the Solstice you sit well down in the car. It actually gives you a very secure feeling, like the little roadster is a lot bigger than it is. The top was down so I couldn’t make a judgment on blind spots. I think for most people it will be fine and taller folks will benefit from the low seating. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
flaj said:
I guess your right. The one that I sat in didn't have leather so it kind of gave me a feeling that something was missing. I think I need to spend some time with this little bad boy with all the options to really make a good judgment. :yesnod:

Yes u do :devil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
birdliver said:
What came across clearly to me was that they compared very favorably with the S2000 and the Miata which were present. All three ars straightforward roadsters with the Sol clearly the best in my opinion in the looks department. Having seen all three together I don't know why anyone would pay more for either of the other two. .
One word comes to mind "performance".
lol
Some people buy roadsters for more than just how they feel they look in them.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
REDNINE said:
One word comes to mind "performance".
lol
Some people buy roadsters for more than just how they feel they look in them.
;)

You quoted me quite selectively (lol). My main impression with the Sol was it's performance (which I pointed out in my earlier post) and how much it embarrassed the s2000 and the miata on the closed course (which I didn't bother to rub it in about in my post). I was there, I was in the car and it simply outperformed the other two. Apparently you missed this, the Sol's performance/value was in fact the thrust of my post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
birdliver said:
You quoted me quite selectively (lol). My main impression with the Sol was it's performance and how much it embarrassed the s2000 and the miata on the closed course. I was there, I was in the car and it simply outperformed the other two. Apparently you missed this, the thrust of my post.
Some people are strictly concerned with how fast the thing will get you to 60 when you floor it and don't realize that performance means a heck of a lot more than just straight-line acceleration.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
birdliver said:
;)

You quoted me quite selectively (lol). My main impression with the Sol was it's performance (which I pointed out in my earlier post) and how much it embarrassed the s2000 and the miata on the closed course (which I didn't bother to rub it in about in my post). I was there, I was in the car and it simply outperformed the other two. Apparently you missed this, the Sol's performance/value was in fact the thrust of my post.
I agree, even though I didn’t get to ride in it the way it accelerates with a little chirp of the tires and the way it tip toes over the rumble strips they laid down and the quick steering this car is a handler. :agree:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
flaj said:
I agree, even though I didn’t get to ride in it the way it accelerates with a little chirp of the tires and the way it tip toes over the rumble strips they laid down and the quick steering this car is a handler. :agree:
Flaj, I think, based on my experience at the R&D, you are in for a thrill when you get to put it through its paces. It looks swell and I love that fact but the fun your gonna have based on what it can do on some curvey country roads will be the best surprise. I expected it to do well but it really exceeded my expectations. My experience has been with a 61 MGA 1600 and an 59 Alpha Spyder and this car goes around a corner far better than either of them (loved em both dearly).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Grip and cornering can mean lower lap times than the car with more power

SlySol said:
Some people are strictly concerned with how fast the thing will get you to 60 when you floor it and don't realize that performance means a heck of a lot more than just straight-line acceleration.
Yup, grip and cornering can be much more important than power. The Zytek LMP1 was much faster than the Audi Le Mans LMP1 class in 2004 at Nurburgring. The Audi had more power, and would pull away from the Zytek in the straight aways, but when the Zytek was out in front, its lap times were much faster than the Audi's.

I run a high grip low power car, and can keep up with some much more powerful cars on the road race tracks. It's actually kinda fun to have a lower power car... It's that underdog thing. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Primus said:
Hmm, Driver Information Center, Leather seats, Leather steering wheel, Leather shift nob, 6 disc mp3 cd changer with external aux-in, fog lights, Cruise Control, Stereo and CC controls on the steering wheel....

These sound like some pretty nice bells and whistles to me. Plus, although they may not be considered bells and whistles, you have power windows, remote keyless entry, remote trunk release, A/C...
:agree: All except that a lot of people are going to have to do without all the leather and steering wheel controls (or push back their order) due to B.S. limitations/restrictions.
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top