Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer just received a Solstice that apparently GM has making the rounds for dealership viewing, so I took a little trip today to see a Solstice in the flesh. It was black with the steel and tan interior.

No major surprises. To me, it looks just like the photos I've seen. I will have to agree that some of the interior plastics look a little on the cheap side, especially the upper door panels. They just didn't look well finished. I believe it stood out more with the lighter color and may not be as noticeable if the interior is all black.

The body is definitely an "eye catcher." Lots of nice curves and it looks more like a Jaguar or '50s Porsche (for some reason, I see a little 550) than a Pontiac. A very attractive car for the price but I definitely would not pay over MSRP for it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cooler King said:
Lots of nice curves and it looks more like a Jaguar or '50s Porsche (for some reason, I see a little 550) than a Pontiac.
I see the Porsche resemblance as well. To me, it's one of the attractions, as owning and driving a 550, while desirable, is completely unrealistic for those of us with mortal salaries. Sure, replicas are available, but would you want to be on the receiving end of any modern auto's bumper in one? Just as the Elan is the spritual ancestor of the Miata, so's the 550 Spyder for the Solstice. Anybody put vintage Porsche badges on theirs yet? ;-)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Over the years, I've considered getting a Beck Spyder 550 replica. It's just a little too rudimentary for me. Now, for less than a Beck replica, I can get a more refined Solstice. Let me rephrase that. I can ORDER a more refined Solstice. ;)

Yes, I too see cars such as the 550 as a spiritual ancestor for the Solstice. A neoclassic roadster with some of today's amenities.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yup, the Beck Spyders are sweet, but I'd be surprised if their average owner puts 1000 miles per year on one. When you do the math, a Solstice will be a FAR better investment, at least in terms of dollars per miles per year.

·
5,600 Posts
Solstice - the pictures just don't do it justice.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
jimbo said:
Solstice - the pictures just don't do it justice.
They don't I love ours. We took it for a three hour drive yesterday, and it handles GREAT ! Every time we saw Mazda, Vett, Bmw even a viper the people would just stare.There is no car in comparison with the Solstice in looks. And I really don't know why people are saying there is no power, I think the power was great and the dealer put in 87 gas. So I figure with the 91/93 gas, my updated catback when it comes in and they say it goes faster after break in there is no way I would need to get the turbo. Now if it was an automatic you might need the turbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts