Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I baby my clutch and shift at low rpm's in order to try and get good gas mileage. I still get only 23.5 mpg. I've put premium in it. I started filling up at shell because of the kroger 10 cent discount. Could it be because I put premium in it? Could it be shell gasoline? Could it be in my head? I don't know. I just remember when it used to get 26 to 27. would it hurt it to put regular gas in it if it is just a 2.4 n/a? oh and while your at it, what are your all's 0 to 60 times and what engine do you have? haha

·
Registered
406 Posts
looks normal... check this out... Fuel Economy of the 2006 Pontiac Solstice
your getting better than most i only get around 18 when im driving for fun, and for the n/a regular wont hurt... i run premium because it seems to get better MPGs and lasts longer, but of course remember its a SPORTS CAR :willy::willy::willy:not a hybrid if you want good mpgs get a volt/prius/leaf!!:brentil: haha just do as i do, enjoy the car and fill up when needed, dont think too much about you mpgs... :thumbs:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear what your saying and trust me, my car gets driven pretty hard at times. It's fun. I was just curious. I would never buy a hybrid though. Pieces of crap.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Jeez guys, I have averaged 21.6 over 15k miles on the Mallett, with a V8. And, you can bet, I don't ever baby the throttle.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have an '07 GXP, with regular I got 32 mpg for the first year, 2nd year I used only premium, get 31.5 mpg. I may get 'on' more now than before though. It is our fun machine, never goes to work, but we have put 27,000 miles on it in the last two years.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hello, the GXP will always get better fuel consumption as its a turbo and more effiecent. Kind of a strange as its more powerfull, but thats how it is.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Regular Gas causing pinging

I tried regular and going up hills all I heard was the engine pinging when trying to accelerate and even a little when just keeping my speed even.

Switched back to premium after that.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
First off this car was not designed to be shifted at low rpms. It should be shifted around 3k, especially the NA.

Secondly...how many miles on your car? Maybe it's time to change the spark plugs. That would definitely increase the gas mileage by a little.

I have a 2007 with 70k and I still average 26-27 mpg...higher if it's just highway miles.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey Norm! Well the GXP is a 2.0L, so as long as I don't use a lot of boost, I will use less fuel than a 2.4L. But even playing hard or using the lower gears a lot the worst mpg I have gotten is over 27 mpg.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
After putting the turbo on I bumped up my average MPG from 19 to 25 around town. Still get 33-35 on the highway. I'm assuming that since I'm doing more work at lower RPMs (and I still haven't replaced my slipping clutch) that I'm not ragging it out as much.

The tune for my specific engine probably made it a little more efficient on premium as well.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Your lucky your seeing those numbers at city i get from 17 to 18. I have 37k manual 2.0.
I only use exxon and premium. Would like to put reg. But cant theirs just some times where you want to floor it. (if i do that with reg ill get knocking)

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
In my GXP my average MPG for the last 20K miles or so is 23.7. I do not try to baby the car. I am usually a somewhat aggressive driver.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I measure mine with each tank full and it comes in anywhere from 21 to 21.5 with my normal "aggressive" driving style. Of course that is a combo of city and highway, but most roads here are fairly hilly and I'm sure that has an effect as well.

I did try one tank of gas with me driving slow and easy and it came in at 22.6! It just didn't make enough difference for me to lose the enjoyment I get from my normal driving......so....back to aggressiveness :woo:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I live in a more rural city and have averaged 28.5mpgs over the last 6 tanks with about 300 miles of highway which tends to hurt my mileage as I was driving very aggressive. Best tank was 29.4mpg and worst has been 25.5

I coast alot and never turn down a chance to run away from others at a light.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2008 NA that belonged to my Dad when he lived in Florida. He averaged 27mpg and in Virginia I average 21. I'm not a lead foot but I drive short distances frequently and the terrain is much more hilly. Maybe these two data points help give some perspective.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I have a 2008 NA that belonged to my Dad when he lived in Florida. He averaged 27mpg and in Virginia I average 21. I'm not a lead foot but I drive short distances frequently and the terrain is much more hilly. Maybe these two data points help give some perspective.
I think it's the short distances that's doing it. In my normal day to day life I rarely drive more than 2 miles away from my house (I work from home) most of it in stop and go traffic. I easily get under 20mpg under these conditions in my '07 gxp. I rarely get to go .25 mile without having to stop at a light. This is also in FL so really flat terrain. I don't always punch it, but when you get stopped at every light, you feel like you have to try and race to the next one to try and beat it...LOL

When I get it on the highway though and go long distances, I can see upwards of 33-34 with the top up, 31ish with the top down.

·
Registered
431 Posts
With the drop in gas prices recently, I fear my gas mileage is gonna go down. But my permagrin keeps getting bigger.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
With the drop in gas prices recently, I fear my gas mileage is gonna go down. But my permagrin keeps getting bigger.
:lol: I have noticed the price of gas seems to be inversely proportional to the weight of my foot...... and the width of my permagrin :yesnod:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Our just completed California Bucket trip:

Total Miles: 5527.2
Total Fuel: 200.61 gals
Avg Mileage: 27.55
Best Mileage: 31.92 on one section between Vegas and Albuquerque. Second best 31.87 also on that leg. Musta been a good westerly tailwind and going downhill.

Around town we're in the 22-23 range.

·
Registered
260 Posts
does this have to do with the location and air pressure? I don't understand how some of you only get 22 mpg. I'm somewhat of an "agressive" driver, and still manage to get 28 mpg out of the car. I tried to get more, but hypermiling is not for me. i've also noticed that the car seems to get the most mpg right between 3k and 3.8k rpm. when i just cruise on the highway my avrg shown on the dash ist. meter is 32-37, but my avrg is always right around 28. give or take a couple of decimal points. Best i ever got was 32.3, worst was 25.6, and that was with an auto x. My Leila just turned 47k miles this morning, and she's a whole lot of fun to drive around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts