Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from a car show last week the low coolant light came on. I kept an eye on the temp and topped it up with dexcool. Next day on the way to work same thing happened. No leaks, no steam? Checked the dipstick, and I got a milkshake. Onstar sent me a tow truck and got it to the dealership, where they told me that it came in on the last day of the 5 year power train warranty. They replaced the head although it passed a pressure test and gasket. Picked it up last night, and got halfway home when the low coolant light came on again. Checked the dipstick, and I got another milkshake. Now the warranty is replacing the whole motor. I am very interested in the cracked block I have. The motor only has 34k. I will post any findings they will share with me.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
This is not the first instance of cracked block. I have read of at least one other. It is very rare but hot unheard of to develop a crack.

Happy that its covered under the PT warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
That's aluminum blocks for you. Does the EcoTech have steel sleeves?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
That is what knocking will do to this engine.
The ECM does is best to adjust to this condition specially when people insist on using 87 & 89 octane.
Glad it was replace under warranty.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
In my opinion: The cracked blocks that have occurred has to do with a design flaw in the LNF block. There is a return oil path between the #3 & #4 cylinder (if I am remembering it correctly) that is to close to the water jacket. And with sand cast aluminum, there is always a possibility of micro-fractures anyway. Certainly engine knock can always be a contributing factor to any failure. But typically pre-detonation failures will result in things like burnt valves and holes in pistons.

And yes, these are steel sleeved engines.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
He has the GMPP tune, and although pre-detonation will result in the type of failure you posted, driving this motor with a GMPP tune and using less than 93 octane, is an invitation to failure in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Agreed: But I would think anyone with the GMPP tune would pay attention to the "Premium Fuel Required" sticker that came in the installation kit, which is pasted on the inside of the fuel door when installed. :willy:

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Erm, some places don't have 93. For instance, California has 91 as premium. Some stations have 92 here in WA

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought my GXP with 3000 miles on it. Having a turbo, I have never considered anything less than premium fuel. I added the GMPP stage tune about 15k miles ago, still running premium. There is no octane available here higher than 91, if there was I would go out of my way to get it. Upon tear down the shop has not found any evidence of detonation, on the pistons or head. I'm not sure if they are going to tear into it any more. Now that a new motor is on its way.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I bought my GXP with 3000 miles on it. Having a turbo, I have never considered anything less than premium fuel. I added the GMPP stage tune about 15k miles ago, still running premium. There is no octane available here higher than 91, if there was I would go out of my way to get it. Upon tear down the shop has not found any evidence of detonation, on the pistons or head. I'm not sure if they are going to tear into it any more. Now that a new motor is on its way.
Go here, check the pictures and read my comments:
(Same thing, no evidence of detonation or abuse, engine was pristine.)
Should GM Buy Back My Car? - Page 9 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts