Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to invest in Street Edition rims and a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports for this season..... i just wish it would start, not much time on the road since they were put on :banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
167 Posts
looka good. now go for the stripe also. i think it would look good on that color.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
where did you get the rims ? tires ?
what was the cost ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what was the cost ?
They were purchased through my dealership Holloway Cadillac here in Portsmouth. GM still has an inventory of the rims and pricey at 375 each and the tires were 265 each. When you need center caps and TPM's you can see where the price goes from there. I am sure if i wanted to take the time i could have found a better deal but everything was delivered to the dealer in great shape and new in the box.
As much as payed i am still happy with the purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Looks really, really nice!:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
That's the colour I'd have chosen for my coupe, if they'd only made it in that colour!

I also use those rims and like the look of them. What do you think of the tires compared to stock?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Those look a lot like stock Lotus rims. awesome. I was looking at a gray Elise that had those but took the less expensive route and went with the solstice. Insurance was a hell of a lot cheaper too.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
what was the cost ?
$175
09 10 Pontiac Solstice 18" Polished Wheel New Take Off Factory Rim 6647 | eBay

Assuming most of us who bought them simply had OEM tires switch from our OEM 5 spokes switched to the split spoke.

Also, not sure why they're advertising these Q9Y as "takeoffs" since they never offered them on a production vehicle. Also, may want to contact seller (1-800-981-8321 Ext. 123 ) to verify quantity (or order direct) available since this posting doesn't include how many are left/available.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Chrome Split Spoke Street Edition

Also love those wheels. We were able to get them chromed from a wheel house in California.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Also, not sure why they're advertising these Q9Y as "takeoffs" since they never offered them on a production vehicle.
Sure they did. They came on the 2009 Street Edition.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's the colour I'd have chosen for my coupe, if they'd only made it in that colour!

I also use those rims and like the look of them. What do you think of the tires compared to stock?
So many were ordering red , yellow , and black back when i ordered mine that i wanted to be different and the Emerald Green Metallic (Envious) really appealed to me and i have had many comments since. The Michelins are fantastic compared to the stock but i have not had much road time yet since the weather has not favored well here. Cannot wait for warmer days of driving.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Sure they did. They came on the 2009 Street Edition.

Every 2009 Pontiac Solstice, Street Edition, Google/Image displays that same car. Only other vehicle displaying split spokes was the GMs Autorama silver coupe show car and I'm thinking the split spokes on that were 19s, but ended up being 18s for production. That why I've always been under the assumption that split spokes were only going to be offered as optional equipment or a dealer available option on 09/10s.

The 09/10 OEM wheels did have a minor styling change.
http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/media/eVox/stills_0320/5741/5741_st0320_042.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Every Google/Image displays that same car, only other vehicle I've seen split spokes shown on is a silver coupe 09/10? concept.
FWIW...We ordered our Coupe with the Q9Y wheels and the order was rejected :brentil: later by Pontiac and we then reordered with standard Chrome wheels.

Was a real thrill to be able to buy a set from E-bay later to dress our Coupe as we originally wanted. :party:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also love those wheels. We were able to get them chromed from a wheel house in California.
I have a set on my car. They were take off's. I am not happy with the finish on mine. Do you have any pictures of the chromed wheels you could share?

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
I have a set on my car. They were take off's. I am not happy with the finish on mine. Do you have any pictures of the chromed wheels you could share?
Be careful!

I removed chrome wheels that came on my car to put the alloy Q9Y on. IMHO it is a bad choice to chrome them if you live anywhere with significant winter. Jaguar mandated that no chromed alloy wheels be sold in Canada or, IIRC, the Northern States, as they were tired of replacing expensive wheels (a lot more than our Kappa wheels) on warranty when the chrome flaked in a couple of years.

If you have chrome wheels and the chrome corrodes, your only option is to completely strip them and rechrome. If you have polished alloy wheels you only need to polish the corrosion off and re clear coat them.

I'll bet a local refinisher could buff and clear coat your rims as good as new.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts