Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is my current project, I bought the car about a year ago, 06 NA 2.4 5-speed.

scored a ls1 from a vette on craigs list and i am bolting it to the stock ar5.
this is my winter project so i will update as i make progress.

motor out!

the new motor

torn down for new bearings, rings, ARP hardware etc..

Z06 cam

ls6 springs

re-assembly

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How to connect the transmission!

well after researching forever i couldnt find much info on this setup so i'll try to give as much info as i can.

i am using the bellhousing adapter from advance adapters for a jeep ax-15 to chevy w/ 168tooth flywheel

i had two tabs welded to the lower portion of the bellhousing to allow it to bolt to the motor with more bolts

the bellhousing

tabs i had welded

the trans needs to be spaced 3/8" from the motor so a 3/8" spacer from summit was used. the spacer does not connect the entire circumference of the bellhousing so i cut some steel to extend the spacer the complete 360.

here is the spacer, see how it does not make a complete circle

the bellhousing needs to have a hole made in the side for the internal slave cylinder line to pass thru. *note: the slave from the na solstice will not work it is too tall, i had to order the gxp slave, it is shorter.

also the side of the bellhousing needs to be ground slightly around the starter for clearance

the bellhousing came with a new pilot bearing, however you must use a roller pilot bearing for a 2004 2.8l chevy colorado. it fits in the outer ring of the crankshaft allowing the input shaft to fit perfectly inside it. a needle style pilot bearing will sit too far inside the crank and not come in contact with the input shaft

bearing

the slave cylinder will need some spacers placed behind it, 3/4" for it to be completely compressed when the trans is mated to the engine.

I am using a LUK clutch, pressureplate for a Z06 vette with a 168t flywheel

the two attached

side view

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the motor i am using has the batwing style oil pan from a c5 vette, which would come in contact with the factory solstice motor mounts, so rather than buying a new oil pan i just cut the stock mounts completely off and made some new ones

i also notched the frame rails to clear the bellhousing, and spaced the rack and pinion about 5/8" foward to clear the balancer

the c5 exhaust manifolds would not clear the lower crossmember, so i bought a used set of camaro manifolds on ebay

they are very shiny

test fitting

installed!

i test fit the hood the other day, its a tight fit, had to cut the middle rib from the throttlebody, other than that plenty of room!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still a lot of work to do, next on the list is to order a radiator $$$$$$, build an exhaust, do some plumbing etc.

relocated the battery to the trunk today, some allthread and scrap aluminum turned into this

·
Registered
59 Posts
WOW!!!!!! I admire your vision for the build and will keep a close eye out for any updates. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. How long would take to complete? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, my plan is to have it done before spring next year, the only reason it will even take that long is because i am buying things as money allows, but all to be expected. cant wait to drive it again!

·
Registered
167 Posts
looking great so far! let me know how the wiring part of it goes!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I love to see at home V8 swaps. I'm in. :lurk:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cool. In for updates.

What is your expected power output with that cam? Custom driveshaft?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am copy this to JohnRR we are working on His
73 big block. 454.
Great post.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Subscribed (pics?)

Does modified 3/8 bellhousing spacer mean no one offers a complete 3/8 bellhousing spacer?

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
This is FASCINATING! Thank you for the thread & photos. I'll love to follow along.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Just curious - are you a V8 fan and just wanted that in there? A tuned LNF would easily equal the LS1 output, otherwise, and would be dead easy to bolt in there. Although I know a lot of guys (self included) enjoy the fabrication exercise.

Anyway, nicely detailed swap thread, always nice to see good pictures and descriptions.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
I am interested in how you are planning on tuning the ECM. Which ECM are you using? One of the bigger challenges others doing swaps have had is getting the ECM to talk with the engine and the BCM. There are still issues with the cruise control for example.

When DDM Works started doing LS swaps, they initially could get the engine to run or the AC to work but not both at the same time. They also had to build a custom cable with specific pinout changes to get the BCM and ECM talking.

:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
Is anyone else worried about that big metal bar being in such close proximity to the two battery terminals ?

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
How can the engine not run, but the AC work?
LOL

Ask Dave. That problem took a few weeks for him to solve. Its got to do with the pinouts in the ECM and how the ECM software talks with the BCM to turn on the AC.:willy:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Battery,
I change out mine to a dry cell.
After that no big deal at all.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the support,

What is your expected power output with that cam? Custom driveshaft
maybe 35 extra hp w/ the cam (optimistic) im using the stock driveshaft, trans mount etc.

Just curious - are you a V8 fan and just wanted that in there? A tuned LNF would easily equal the LS1 output, otherwise, and would be dead easy to bolt in there. Although I know a lot of guys (self included) enjoy the fabrication exercise.
mostly just a v-8 fan, i know the 4cyl is very much capable, but the sound of a v-8 gets me hard, and i got this motor for a steal.

I am interested in how you are planning on tuning the ECM. Which ECM are you using? One of the bigger challenges others doing swaps have had is getting the ECM to talk with the engine and the BCM. There are still issues with the cruise control for example.
im using the ls ecm, going to run completely separate from the bcm. basically the ls only needs about 6 wires to run, positive, accessory pwr, grounds, tach, etc.

i have already de-pinned the ls harness, i will re-wrap it once it is in the car and i decide where i want to mount the ecm.

i dont plan on running ac, ill put the top down, and cruise control; well i am gonna have to overcome that hurdle in the future (trying not to think about that right now:willy:)

i am planning on running aftermarket gauges, and i have a pedal from a c5, tach module, and the pedal harness from eficonnection.com

i am waiting to install them once the radiator is in etc.

Is anyone else worried about that big metal bar being in such close proximity to the two battery terminals ?
it looks close but its just the angle of the picture, shouldnt be a problem unless something catastrophic happens

ill hopefully be ordering a radiator soon so i can make some more progress

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Sounds like a fun if complex exercise. Keep us informed. Best of luck. Sounds like you have a good plan and expectations.

Personally, having more than 400 hp is problematic. You cant get it to the ground anyway.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts