Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Classic66vair asked for my Monsoon review. I PM'd him but thought I would share...

Me said:
Will it rattle the paint off of the car next to you at a stoplight? No. Does it provide plenty of volume to clearly here and enjoy every bit of a song while at 70mph with the top down? Easily!

I'm a bit of an audiophile, if that helps. I'm a musician with very picky ears when it comes to sound (I spent 2 hours finding the correct angle for my floor speakers in my home theater ) and I'm very happy with the tone and crispness of the sound throughout the volume range. The bass from the sub-woofer fills out the sound nicely. Like I said before, 70mph is no problem. I can easily have the volume loud enough to mask almost all the engine and wind noise at that speed without a hint of distortion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chris said:
Classic66vair asked for my Monsoon review. I PM'd him but thought I would share...

That's good to hear. What did you think about the EQ setting?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ACBUNNY said:
I always do custom settings via the bass/mid/treb settings. One thing to note is that the setting are per source so you'll need to set it up for radio/CD/Aux individually. (Not sure if AM and FM are shared or not. Hopefully they are independent cause I like my AM flat. I'll check this evening.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I find that with the monsoon you have to be at about 3/4+ volume at highway speed to accurately hear the tunes. Mind you I think I am slightly deaf and all my other vehicles have custom stereo systems. So in summary don't expect to blow the doors off your car, but you will get a clean sound.

I am looking at amplifiers for the stock system which I think will boost the whole sound incredibly without ripping out all the components.

Will post results later

Steve

·
Registered
337 Posts
ACBUNNY said:
I like the EQ pre-settings, for some reason most music sounds better on the Jazz setting. I did notice also, if you move the passenger seat up a couple of clicks it lets the subwoofer really work well.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Any comments on the speed controlled volume? This is one feature I am really looking forward to having.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dengel said:
Any comments on the speed controlled volume? This is one feature I am really looking forward to having.
I haven't played with it much. I set it to high, but doesn't seem to change the level as much as the last vehicle I used it in. (95 Impala SS) Is this a good thing or a bad thing? It's too soon to tell. I've been listening to the engine most of the time and only really playing the radio when on the highway or in the driveway, not in between.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Rds

Chris said:
I haven't played with it much. I set it to high, but doesn't seem to change the level as much as the last vehicle I used it in. (95 Impala SS) Is this a good thing or a bad thing? It's too soon to tell. I've been listening to the engine most of the time and only really playing the radio when on the highway or in the driveway, not in between.
works better in my 98 Malibu.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Jazz EQ

SolTex said:
I like the EQ pre-settings, for some reason most music sounds better on the Jazz setting. I did notice also, if you move the passenger seat up a couple of clicks it lets the subwoofer really work well.
I found the same thing, I guess because it is boosting both the low end and high end. Deep bass and clearer vocals and rythmn instruments.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I've said it before, and I will say it again:

Generally, the amplifier is the weakest link in the chain of audio. Upgrading the amp will generally do wonders more than upgrading speakers will (unless of course the speakers are REALLY crappy).

Analogy:
Generally, the amount of RAM in a computer is the weakest link in performance. Upgrading the RAM will generally do wonders more than upgrading the processor will (unless of course the processor is REALLY crappy).

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fortimir said:
I've said it before, and I will say it again:

Generally, the amplifier is the weakest link in the chain of audio. Upgrading the amp will generally do wonders more than upgrading speakers will (unless of course the speakers are REALLY crappy).

Analogy:
Generally, the amount of RAM in a computer is the weakest link in performance. Upgrading the RAM will generally do wonders more than upgrading the processor will (unless of course the processor is REALLY crappy).
Good analogy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chris said:
I always do custom settings via the bass/mid/treb settings. One thing to note is that the setting are per source so you'll need to set it up for radio/CD/Aux individually. (Not sure if AM and FM are shared or not. Hopefully they are independent cause I like my AM flat. I'll check this evening.)
That's what I wanted to hear "custom setting" :cool: . I like the idea of setting per source. Is it easy to find the setting, or do you have to read the book?

·
Registered
22 Posts
SolTex said:
I didn't even think about how close the seat is to the subwoofer. Thanks that's good info to know. Does a passager muffle the subwoofer at all?

·
Registered
710 Posts
anyone have the single disk with mp3? would like to hear what people have to say about this vs the 6 disk. I have been told that the single disk and 6 disk are the same head unit with just the added disks. wish i could find out for sure as i have just placed my order and would be a good time to find out :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
eq is very easy there is either a button to push for custom settings or an eq button for presets and yes 6 disk is the same head with a changer inside

·
Registered
123 Posts
Single Disc

I got the single disc with mp3. In retrospect, I'm sorry that I didn't order the 6 disc. I was trying to save money. The CDs are stored in the cubby between the seats and isn't easily accessible while driving,so, iut's hard to put in another CD when you want. My advice is to get the 6 disc changer.

·
Registered
710 Posts
the reason why i asked is that my concern is more about sound quality...

ParTee said:
I got the single disc with mp3. In retrospect, I'm sorry that I didn't order the 6 disc. I was trying to save money. The CDs are stored in the cubby between the seats and isn't easily accessible while driving,so, iut's hard to put in another CD when you want. My advice is to get the 6 disc changer.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ACBUNNY said:
That's what I wanted to hear "custom setting" :cool: . I like the idea of setting per source. Is it easy to find the setting, or do you have to read the book?
As GradSoulStice said, it's cake. 1 button gets you into the custom EQ settings. I actually found them before I found the presets.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Temple said:
the reason why i asked is that my concern is more about sound quality...
De ja vu...

There is NO... ZERO... NADDA... ZIP... NULL sound difference between the single disk and the 6-disk. I would bet my life on it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts