Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my 2006 Solstice for about 2 months now and I would like to do some upgrades. Nothing to crazy expensive. What do you guys suggest doing? starting with? I do have a after market intake on it already. Any suggestions would be awesome. Links to products.

thanks,
slim

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Slim, there are so many things to do, I don't know where to begin.

Oh wait, yes I do. Super-charge !!!!

Check the vendors in our forum, outstanding performance for the price. Be sure to add their exhaust as well, and shorty or long-tube exhaust headers.

Go to the vendors list and see what each has to offer.

And welcome to the SOS (Solstice Owners Society) !!!!

:party::party::party:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hmm where to begin. Well the most important thing is to watch what you buy. If it is to good to be true. You know the rest. Buy smart and ask questions here before you buy.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
DDM ProBeam

Windrestrictor

Check the center console for cracking and reinforce as necessary

Check the rubber feet in the trunk and get a fiber for the top while in the trunk

Treat the top

Treat the rubber bits

Lubricate the folding, sliding joints of the top over the side windows

Dump the factory fix a flat and get a plug kit for tubeless tire repair

Never open the coolant cap when the car is hot.

Never lift the car with a standard floor jack. Get lifting pucks

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
The most bang for the buck? DDM ProBeam, Backbone, and LV Brace. They make a world of difference in the handling of the car, and won't be too expensive.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
People people people. You're describing how to eat an elephant and leaving out the first step. You have to KILL the elephant before you eat it.

Now, the proper "step one" slim is to get a second job. You'll need the income once you start modding.

:lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who would you normally trust to put on after market stuff like an exhaust? only a GM dealer? What are some websites you recommend for getting this kind of stuff?

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Check out the sponsor's lineup in this forum. If you know which way to turn a screwdriver and have a bit of patience, you can install the exhaust and chassis parts yourself. Otherwise, find a competent mechanic and pay him/her to do it and have them show you all they did. Save your stock parts for resale.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Yes - visit the sponsors on the site. Members here have had high praise for many of them.

As for a GM dealer - I wouldn't trust just any GM dealer as most have little or no experience with this vehicle. pontiac.com has a dealer locator or you can PM gmcustomer service (a member on this site). Whomever you locate, I'd have in depth discussions on whether they have any experience at all with this car. They are finicky.

Bella is right though, if you have moderate mechanical skills you can do a lot yourself. If you DON'T, then you're much better off hiring someone who IS.

That is, after you get that second source of income to pay for it! lol

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Congrats welcome to the asylum, and don't shut the hood w/the door fully open, and have GM dealership run the VIN to make sure recalls been performed or are still open.

BTW, seem to remember a do & don't thread for these types of questions but couldn't find it.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
You have the good fortune of being a couple hours away from DDMWorks if you prefer to have your mods installed. Check out their site and give them a call if you have any questions.....great people to work with!

Most mods are pretty personal, but I would have to agree with DaveOC. I was amazed at the difference the upgraded backbone made on my handling. I would recommend that being a good place to start and would give you a chance to get to know Dave, Ivy and the gang at DDM.

(I'm sure I will get a discount on my next purchase for this plug.....:lol:)

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Good advice from Rob as for the lifting pucks I went on Ebay and they were looking at 50 bucks for a set so I had a brainstorm and thought these things sure look like hockey pucks so went to my local sporting goods store and bought a couple to try out.Have used them for 3 years no with no issues and at a couple of bucks a piece if one finally cracks I pitch it and have spares.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Good advice from Rob as for the lifting pucks I went on Ebay and they were looking at 50 bucks for a set so I had a brainstorm and thought these things sure look like hockey pucks so went to my local sporting goods store and bought a couple to try out.Have used them for 3 years no with no issues and at a couple of bucks a piece if one finally cracks I pitch it and have spares.
I also use actual hocky pucks.

I have a pair of steel pucks made for a Corvette but prefer the rubber ones as they have less potential for damage and since my lifting points are badly deformed, the rubber construction pucks allow for a less stressful lifting experience. :willy:

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Hockey pucks, that's funny. my son has 3 or 4 in his closet. think I'll go get them. great idea. I'd tint the windows and get a shorty antenna and then check all fluids, wax it real good and get a car cover if you plan on keeping it out doors. then go for more power and louder music!!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I would drain all the fluids and oil and check all the hoses. That way you have fresh and correct fluids. Spark plugs been changed? They used to put a dab of paint on the very top (flat spot) of the original plugs. Have fun with your permagrin.

·
Registered
107 Posts
na improvements

Hello all-
For a little over $1500, ,I did the following:
Venom brace,Probeam, DDM backbone ,solo NA axle back exhaust, Hankook Ventus v-12's,mudguards,stubby antenna,DDM cam cover, painted calipers red epoxy. Car corners flat,and sticks like glue. Ditch the RSA's if you have them.. I did the rubber mallet thing and ditched the intake muffler box. I believe these are the best,inexpensive upgrades. I also made my lifting pucks usinf eyebolt/hockey pucks..work great... At 2800 miles, I had the antifreeze changed..still was a 2006. From there on ,it's all about the money!
Enjoy your Sol!
John

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Hockey pucks, that's funny. my son has 3 or 4 in his closet. think I'll go get them. great idea. I'd tint the windows and get a shorty antenna and then check all fluids, wax it real good and get a car cover if you plan on keeping it out doors. then go for more power and louder music!!!
Yo TX - before you do that with the hockey pucks, check for little squiggly lines on them that might look like signatures or something.

;)

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I also use actual hocky pucks.

I have a pair of steel pucks made for a Corvette but prefer the rubber ones as they have less potential for damage and since my lifting points are badly deformed, the rubber construction pucks allow for a less stressful lifting experience. :willy:
Do you guys get your car advice from Don Rickles? :leaving:

The Hockey Puck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts