Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I got tired of all the red backlighting in my speedometer and decided to see how to change out the colours. My first option was to consider just removing the red rubber inner lamp lens for a night light white on black look as my aging eyes, I could no longer see the red as well in the evenings. Then I had a crazy thought when I took the faceplace apart and decide to go to Staples and a Dollar Store to look for options on how I could change the color of the faceplate by adhering a color filter along the back of the faceplate.

I tried a few scenario, such and green, purple, yellow, orange, finally settled on a blue lens...and you wonder how I got this lens right...well I found a translucent blue pencil case for $1.00, and got a extra strength clear tape from Staples....I did some cutting and taping along the back of the face plate and made sure all the red lens caps where removed from the back light lamps. Well, the results were very good...can't complaint, since I was looking at a more expensive option, but I felt if I just wanted a color change I could alter it myself... it took all of 1.5 hours, since I was trying different colour options...

Here's the new look:
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t385/Deep642/20120612_2332213.jpg

Here's the 1.00 pencil case!
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t385/Deep642/20120613_161753.jpg

·
Registered
868 Posts
Looks nice BryGuy how does the thing come apart ? does it just pull out? step by step would help.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just when you think you seen it all
Very nice!
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
It looks very good.
There was another member, I believe it was TomatoSoup that did it and posted step by step instructions.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Very impressive!!! :cool:

At this point I still like the red but I haven't had the car that long and can definitely see wanting a change eventually. I'll have to keep this method in mind...turned out great!!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Very impressive!!! :cool:

At this point I still like the red but I haven't had the car that long and can definitely see wanting a change eventually. I'll have to keep this method in mind...turned out great!!:thumbs:
Ever since I got my Grand Am in 2000, I've never been able to stand anything BUT red interior lights. IT actually bugs me that the DIC in the soltice isn't red (the Odometer in the Grand Am is).

The reason I love it so much is that red is much easier to see at night (at least for me). I often find other colors too distracting when I drive.

To each his own, and to the OP, if you couldn't see it, then I'm glad you found a cheap effective (looks Awesome!) way to change it :)

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Absolutely no question that you win the MacGyver of the year award!
Seriously, nothing impresses me more than someone using their ingenuity. It beats buying the finished product and just installing it.
WELL DONE!

Sent from my GT-P1000R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
406 Posts
How hard was it to remove the red caps and can the entire thing be made to change to one color? I noticed yours was blue and the KPH were red, I would like that another color, but I would like to leave the revs red, would that be do-able?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks good.... I keep forgeting the Canadian cars are unique. The other half bought a Canadian 93 Jimmy and it had D.R.L.'s before the U.S. had them, but it had the digital dash you could change from metric, so the instruments looked normal to us US folks.
P.S. Are there restrictions on bringing US cars into Canada? They did have some different bumper requirements then the US right?
LJ

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely no question that you win the MacGyver of the year award!
Seriously, nothing impresses me more than someone using their ingenuity. It beats buying the finished product and just installing it.
WELL DONE!

Sent from my GT-P1000R using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Yeah, I guess I'm old school, I like to fix and look for alternatives! I'm a creative type...:lol::thumbs:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok...Give me a few days and I will post a step by step...but I won't include the trips to the Dollar Store or Staples! ROFL! It's not the difficult...
The inner gauge chart and the rev marks have to remain RED, as it is coloured that way on the faceplate, but the rest you can play with. Also keep in mind, since I remove the red lens cap from the back of the speedo bulbs, the needles originally were all back lit red, now in my case they actually look yellow, due to the incandescent bulb colour. Thus, the over all look is not too colourful, but serves my purpose. So whatever you do, it will have to stay all RED or you can change the blue part on mines to any color, but the needle would be gold.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ahhh I see, well one last thing is it reversible? Can you put the red caps back on the needle lights and on the other lights?:thumbs:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahhh I see, well one last thing is it reversible? Can you put the red caps back on the needle lights and on the other lights?:thumbs:
Yes, all is reversible to factory setting! Cheer!:thumbs:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Are the bulbs replaceable??? Or if they burn out you have to buy new cluster like on most new vehicles?
LJ

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Another type of material I once used to do the same thing on another car I had, (PT Cruiser Turbo) was to use Blue Tinted CD/DVD plastic gem cases. They can be bought in colored multi-packs at your local WALMART and work just the same. Just cut off the top half and use it. They are already circular and are much thicker material than the pencil case you are showing.

I did this a few years ago when the INDI-GLOW Gauges were all the craze. I wanted my factory gauges to match my blue Ind-glow gauges in my A-pillar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts