Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested in old British cars (my main automotive focus) they might want to take a look at the 1956 MGA with after market Jamaican body I restored and fitted with a 3.4 GM V6 and T5.

It goes pretty well, having a slightly better power to weight ratio than a stock GXP (2100 lbs., 200 BHP), though you'll never beat a good IRS with a beam axle on take off, not to mention traction control etc. Probably a lot more aerodynamic than the Kappa shape though! ;)

The car was just featured in a British magazine, MG Enthusiast.

http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/f/Jamaican_Article.pdf

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob, as a V8 guy and thus lusting after power ;) you can appreciate power to weight. I keep having the temptation to take the engine out of my 88 Fiero and stick it in the Jamaican. That would give (in 3.4 form) around 320 BHP in a 2000 lb. car, getting up toward the same power to weight you'd get with a Solstice that had around 460 BHP.

Tell me I don't need it and I should be happy with my Solstice! :devil:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Nice car Bill. The windshield is 63/67 Vette? Does Moss Motors sell a posi unit for that rear end? I miss my MGB, parts availability is like having a new car.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Corvette windscreen laid back a bit more than in the Corvette.

I runa Quaife LSD in my MG race car, but never bother on the street. Very used to driving an open diff at speed and I don't use it for off the line acceleration contests (the banjo diff robably wouldn't like that much).

Moss does sell a unit for exorbitant amounts - it would probably cost about the same to get a Ford with limited slip cut down to fit the MG track width ($1800)

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Lookin Color Too!!! :thumbs:
Yeah, that's always one of the hardest decisions. I wanted a dark red with very little orange/yellow in it, like they used on Ferraris in the 1950s. Came up with two , a Toyota colour and the BMW Imola Red that I finally decided on, and I think it is exactly what I was hoping for.

It has a clean aerodynamic shape but I was a little concerned that ity might generate lift in the front end. I had a modied chin spoiler from a Triumph TR-6 all reconfigured for it, but when I stuck it on the car temporarily, I took one look and my friedn and I both said "Oh crap - it looks like a Datsun 240Z!" so I left it off.

I also didn't want to use mag wheels as I think they'd make it look like any other modified car and I wanted it to look like it was a real vintage car that people just couldn't quite identify, so I used 15x6" AC Cobra well laced wires from Dayton and think they turned out well.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Very Very NICE!!!

I like wires, but not for high mileage driving, I would have hung a set of Mini-Lites on my Coupe if they had made them. :thumbs: Second choice would have been some Cobra/Halibrand oval slots, but no one made them when I got the Double Spokes from GM.

Now I have 3 sets and 42K miles on the car. :brentil:

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Nice! IMO, keep the wire wheels. They really give it a classic look.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Rob, as a V8 guy and thus lusting after power ;) you can appreciate power to weight. I keep having the temptation to take the engine out of my 88 Fiero and stick it in the Jamaican. That would give (in 3.4 form) around 320 BHP in a 2000 lb. car, getting up toward the same power to weight you'd get with a Solstice that had around 460 BHP.

Tell me I don't need it and I should be happy with my Solstice! :devil:
Do as I say, not as I do. . . .

You dont need it. There I said it.

But actually you WANT it.:devil:

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good Bill. That shot on the way to Grouse Mtn?
No, up above my place on Cypress Mountain. It is where I always take cars on test drives and photo shoots - 11 km of road almost all uphill (which means if something goes wrong with a new build, you can coast almost all the way back down again!).

Those were taken in May - no snow around here, just at the top of the mountain near the ski area.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am probably one of the least likely persons to enjoy the aesthetics of older cars, but that car is gorgeous.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks brap.

There are a few car shapes that are just so RIGHT, and for me I think my favourite is the original Ferrari GTO.

1964 - last front engined Ferrari race car. As they go for $35 million or so, I had to settle for the Jamaican!!:devil:

PS - they also did a very successful kit to rebody a Datsun 240Z as a GTO and because the windshield angle was right, it worked very well. Ferrari sued them.

A member here has/had a Factory Five coupe, which is a replica of a Cobra Daytona coupe (only 8 ever existed) and the styling idiom is the same as the Jamaican and the GTO.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
What a sweet ride. Nice.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I got to sit in 1 of the 6 Daytona coupes that was in for a restoration. Shelby built enough parts to assemble 12 complete cars but assembled 6 cars to race so that each car had a complete set of extra parts. Body parts got used up the quickest. I saw the 6 never used frames with ID#s, that was about 20 years ago. The best aluminum body fabricators I've ever met were 2 brothers from New Zealand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts