Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear window glass came loose... I dawdled and one of the defrost wires came off as well. Eventually (after searching SolsticeForum.com) bought some urethane glue... suggested by somebody or another. I cut out a piece of 1" thick styrofoam board to go under the convertible top (in the trunk), propped open the top, disconnected the trunk light, and put down a bead of the urethane glue. I weighed down the glass with a 12 pack of Diet Coke and four bricks (newspapers underneath, of course). After two days the glue had set some, but there was still wet glue up under the top. Propped the top up almost fully and the glue dried fine... one little run I can live with.

The glue seems to be holding, I'll let you know if it fails.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Most urethanes are a moisture cure, so low humidity and cool temps can make them set up slowly. Keep us posted on success or failure!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I used the black 3m stuff and did it with the top up. I used wood and blocks against the glass and tilted the seats back to hold the glass in place, then applied the goo to both sides with a brush and used blue masking tape to keep it in place. Been about a year now and it's still solid but mine was totally dry in a few hours.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
My window was leaking as well (I have a thread about it somewhere on here from over a year ago). I've had the tube of stuff, but work and family and a family medical emergency have kept me from doing anything about it. Because if it I refused to drive it if I thought there was any chance of rain, I didn't wash it anywhere near as much as I should have (in fear of getting water in it), and I haven't even done the recall because I don't think my dealer would keep it from the rain (it's Florida, you never know when it's gonna rain).

Needless to say, there is a great convertible top guy in my town who is going to try the 3M stuff. He said he's tried similar fixes on our cars with little success, but not with that 3M sealant. He's made a "gentleman's agreement" to do what he can, but understandably won't guarantee the work. I know he'll do as good of a job as me and he has a covered garage to keep the car to let it cure, so I figured why not.

I would think that he'd try and mess it up on purpose to get me to have him put a new top on, but he said he can't find anyone who makes tops for our cars and he doesn't do custom tops. He did ask what my contingency plan was if this didn't work and I said "custom top". It's that or sell the car and buy another one. I bought a used top from someone on here and the front had little rips and tears in it. I'm out $750 on that one, so I'm iffy on buying used tops sight unseen from now on. Luckily I found someone to buy it, though for less than I paid, so I'm still out on some cash.

Either way, I can't wait to get my car back and based on the "reviews" of this fix from on the boards, I'm very confident that it will work!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I checked and what I used was 3M super weather strip adhesive (black). This was a $10 fix including the 6 pack of beer I bought.

The entire bottom and a couple inches up the sides had separated and I had it fixed in about an hour. However, I masked everything off real good first thinking it was going to be a mess but since I elected to use a small solder paste brush, the application part only took 20 minutes and it wasn't messy at all.

Automotive Adhesives - 3M Auto

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
My window was leaking as well (I have a thread about it somewhere on here from over a year ago). I've had the tube of stuff, but work and family and a family medical emergency have kept me from doing anything about it. Because if it I refused to drive it if I thought there was any chance of rain, I didn't wash it anywhere near as much as I should have (in fear of getting water in it), and I haven't even done the recall because I don't think my dealer would keep it from the rain (it's Florida, you never know when it's gonna rain).

Needless to say, there is a great convertible top guy in my town who is going to try the 3M stuff. He said he's tried similar fixes on our cars with little success, but not with that 3M sealant. He's made a "gentleman's agreement" to do what he can, but understandably won't guarantee the work. I know he'll do as good of a job as me and he has a covered garage to keep the car to let it cure, so I figured why not.

I would think that he'd try and mess it up on purpose to get me to have him put a new top on, but he said he can't find anyone who makes tops for our cars and he doesn't do custom tops. He did ask what my contingency plan was if this didn't work and I said "custom top". It's that or sell the car and buy another one. I bought a used top from someone on here and the front had little rips and tears in it. I'm out $750 on that one, so I'm iffy on buying used tops sight unseen from now on. Luckily I found someone to buy it, though for less than I paid, so I'm still out on some cash.

Either way, I can't wait to get my car back and based on the "reviews" of this fix from on the boards, I'm very confident that it will work!
You can still buy from GM a replacement top. The canvas with back window installed was under $1000 last time I checked.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,546 Posts
You can still buy from GM a replacement top. The canvas with back window installed was under $1000 last time I checked.
I have heard multiple times recently about replacements tops having rear window failures almost as soon as the new top was installed. It appears that the windows were originally made using a two sided tape to secure the window to the canvas. Apparently the tape and/or the adhesive used on the tape has dried out and/or failed after all these years of storage and when the top is mounted and then stretched when put up, the tape/adhesive fails.

Or so I've heard.

YMMV

:dunno:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2020 update... urethane glue let go, some time ago, actually; I believe I will be trying the exterior 2-sided tape idea. See you on the highway!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tried the 2-sided tape 9/2020, I'll let you know. Top half of window is still factory glued. I am also considering running the tiniest bead of something along that exterior seal... Here's the other post scroll down Rear window. Someday maybe I'll reattach the defogger...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you have an update on the top I have the same rear window problem
It just needs to reglued properly. Its a common problem. Any auto glass shop should be able to take care of it. Refer to the attachment in post #9

The adhesive is expensive and youll need some magnetic clamps to maintain pressure on the area. It may be easier and cheaper to let a shop do itthen doing it yourself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts