Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
mrfredsporty said:
silly question, but when you take your car to the dealer will they automatically try to reset it to gm specs??:cool:
From what I understand the ECM flash is undetectable by the dealer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Fred,

Yours is not a silly question...

I have a friend who used to own a C5 Z06 Corvette (he has a Viper GTS now), and he spent a lot of $$$ to re-tune his ECM, only to have it re-flashed by the GM dealer when he took it in once for service. He lost all the performance upgrades the ECM flash gave him as a result.

He didn't tell the Corvette dealer what happened, since he was afraid they might have voided his warrany if they knew about his previously installed ECM upgrades.

·
Registered
417 Posts
hey thanks mike," soon to be owner of new red solstice". so does that mean that this great upgrade (which i truly believe it is) may backfire on us??????:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
575 Posts
If we do take it in for service and for some reason the dealer does do a reflash without telling us --- how would we know? I assume the car would start to run sluggish and all the improvements we gained would be obviously gone?

Also -- would there be any reason for the dealer to do a reflash and if so what would it be?

From what I understand though -- Vector would give us a new retune for no charge. Correct me if I'm wrong ........

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
solactor said:
If we do take it in for service and for some reason the dealer does do a reflash without telling us --- how would we know? I assume the car would start to run sluggish and all the improvements we gained would be obviously gone?

Also -- would there be any reason for the dealer to do a reflash and if so what would it be?

From what I understand though -- Vector would give us a new retune for no charge. Correct me if I'm wrong ........
Maybe GTPprix needs to answer this. I took out my ECM (very simple thanks to Rodeo's instructions and pics) and will be shipping to Chris tomorrow. An answer at this time would be good. My wife has no idea what this is costing. I also ordered the shorty headers.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It would run like a stock Sol; ask anyone who has the tune, you'd know immediately ;) In which case we'd reflash it for free. So far of all the vehicles we support we havent had to do this for a single user yet except someone who had thier ECM replaced due to a faulty processor. No worries :)

When you guys ship your ECM's in they are updated automatically to the newest GM release current to that day anyhow!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
GTPprix said:
It would run like a stock Sol; ask anyone who has the tune, you'd know immediately ;) In which case we'd reflash it for free. So far of all the vehicles we support we havent had to do this for a single user yet except someone who had thier ECM replaced due to a faulty processor. No worries :)

When you guys ship your ECM's in they are updated automatically to the newest GM release current to that day anyhow!
Good to know Chris, mine will be on the way tomorrow! Thanks for the quick response.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
GTPprix said:

So how about figuring out a way to turn off the auto lock/unlock function? If you can't do that for "safety/liability" reasons, how about a two-button combination on the steering wheel that will unlock the doors while the car is running and under 5 MPH or so?

This is probably in the wrong thread, but the idea just hit me and I was reading this one...:willy: :willy:

·
Registered
365 Posts
maxblast said:
Maybe GTPprix needs to answer this. I took out my ECM (very simple thanks to Rodeo's instructions and pics) and will be shipping to Chris tomorrow. An answer at this time would be good. My wife has no idea what this is costing. I also ordered the shorty headers.
You're the man!:yesnod:

·
Registered
505 Posts
GO_DRVN said:
So how about figuring out a way to turn off the auto lock/unlock function? If you can't do that for "safety/liability" reasons, how about a two-button combination on the steering wheel that will unlock the doors while the car is running and under 5 MPH or so?

This is probably in the wrong thread, but the idea just hit me and I was reading this one...:willy: :willy:
Eh ya never know! ;)

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
KYSol said:
Shadow... Please post another update in a couple weeks. This is promising. You installed the new ECM yourself, right? (scale of 1-10, how much work do you do on cars... 10=mechanic, 1=can find the key hole)

To for me to explore this more and +3mpg will be a good selling point with my rev limiter (;) )
OK, here it is. Just like you stock Sol gets a little better as you put some miles on it, the re-tuned Sol does the same thing. I guess as the ECM re-learns the set up, things start to open up.

It looks like my gas milage increase has settled at about 1.5 miles per gallon better than before. I attribute this decrease from my first post to the fact that I have now adopted more spirited driving habits because the re-tuned car is just more fun to drive. ;)

I also noticed that my car seems to run aobut 10 or so degrees cooler than before. I don't really understand this as Vector does nothing to change any of the operating temperature points (at least I don't think so). But the fact remains, the engine definately runs cooler. It used to run around 200 degrees, and now it operates closer to 190.

I am just as excited as when I first had it done, and I highly recommend this modification to all Solstice owners. :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
While I too seem to gun it a bit more since it now certainly wakes up over 3Krpm, I wonder a couple of things:

1. Does the drive-by-wire go through the ECM, or are they unrelated?

2. Will I have to go back to a stock tune before my first CA emissions test a few years hence?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Tuxford said:
While I too seem to gun it a bit more since it now certainly wakes up over 3Krpm, I wonder a couple of things:

1. Does the drive-by-wire go through the ECM, or are they unrelated?

2. Will I have to go back to a stock tune before my first CA emissions test a few years hence?
1. Yes it does
2. Nope, it'll pass with flying colors :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
As the answer to number 1 is yes, could it be that the reprogramming just throttles up more (more gain) in the 3K range, or are we really seeing a performance efficiency gain from the engine in this range?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts