Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is absolutely wonderful to drive and so much more beautiful in person. I was a little nervous at first and it took some time to adjust to the pedals and shifter but by the time I put the car away for the night everything felt natural. It corners and handles like a dream. I couldn't believe how easily and fast I could take a turn. The acceleration is quick enough to put a smile on your face, but it's not going to throw you into the back of the seat. The breaking is phenominal too. The Monsoon stereo's sound is excellent, especially while playing CDs. However, I plugged my IPOD into the jack and was dissappointed at the volume level. There's also no place to place the IPOD. It was also really difficult to read the stereo in the sunlight. At one point the stereo lit up when I hit a button but I couldn't figure out how I got the light to stay on and it's nowhere in the manual. Once I find this button I'm set. Features of stereo also great. I was a little worried that the painted rims wouldn't look good with the black paint but thankfully, they look great since they match the windshield and rear decklid trim.

These are not complaints because I have none, just the reality of the car:
- the glove box is barely large enough to fit the owners manual
- the cupholders are useless (I wouldn't risk drinking in the car anyway)
- the storage area between the seats doesn't lock, it's a weird reach around to access, and it's smaller than I expected
- passengers who don't weigh alot might not trigger the passenger air bag, my girfriend only activated it once on about 4 or 5 start ups.
- at 5'8" I cannot see the entire hood of the car
- the trunk is even smaller than you think, adds to the personality though
- random pockets don't provide much storage space
- my cell phone fell out of my pocket and landed behind the seat, was not easy to retreive

Overall, Pontiac got it right and the car is designed to be driven by those who have a passion for driving. The ride and the seats are very comfortable. The best part came when a guy driving a $125k Mercedes SL 500 convertible followed me to a light and pulled up next to me to say how great the car looked. It was very flattering coming from someone with such a great and expensive car. Let me end this summary by saying the car is worth the wait, you won't be dissappointed and a huge thanks to all the forum members that provided a world of information during the process. I look forward to keeping the forum going strong.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
OK. I'm Envious even though I ordered Sly.

I'm planning on using one of the "cup holders" in the center as a "cell phone holder". Trying to get a cell phone out of my front pants pocket in this car might be darn near impossible.

·
Registered
152 Posts
sol4soul - pics, brother!

do you have 2tone or ebony?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congrats sol4soul!

I'm envious as well as I wait for my Sly. Rode in one during a ride & drive, and your reaction is very similar to mine. What a car! And, yes, it has some quirks, but what roadster worth having doesn't?

But thanks for the review, and enjoy your Sol. Hoping to have the same chance before snow flies up here.

·
Registered
542 Posts
sol4soul said:
The car is absolutely wonderful to drive and so much more beautiful in person. I was a little nervous at first and it took some time to adjust to the pedals and shifter but by the time I put the car away for the night everything felt natural. It corners and handles like a dream. I couldn't believe how easily and fast I could take a turn. The acceleration is quick enough to put a smile on your face, but it's not going to throw you into the back of the seat. The breaking is phenominal too. The Monsoon stereo's sound is excellent, especially while playing CDs. However, I plugged my IPOD into the jack and was dissappointed at the volume level. There's also no place to place the IPOD. It was also really difficult to read the stereo in the sunlight. At one point the stereo lit up when I hit a button but I couldn't figure out how I got the light to stay on and it's nowhere in the manual. Once I find this button I'm set. Features of stereo also great. I was a little worried that the painted rims wouldn't look good with the black paint but thankfully, they look great since they match the windshield and rear decklid trim.

These are not complaints because I have none, just the reality of the car:
- the glove box is barely large enough to fit the owners manual
- the cupholders are useless (I wouldn't risk drinking in the car anyway)
- the storage area between the seats doesn't lock, it's a weird reach around to access, and it's smaller than I expected
- passengers who don't weigh alot might not trigger the passenger air bag, my girfriend only activated it once on about 4 or 5 start ups.
- at 5'8" I cannot see the entire hood of the car
- the trunk is even smaller than you think, adds to the personality though
- random pockets don't provide much storage space
- my cell phone fell out of my pocket and landed behind the seat, was not easy to retreive

Overall, Pontiac got it right and the car is designed to be driven by those who have a passion for driving. The ride and the seats are very comfortable. The best part came when a guy driving a $125k Mercedes SL 500 convertible followed me to a light and pulled up next to me to say how great the car looked. It was very flattering coming from someone with such a great and expensive car. Let me end this summary by saying the car is worth the wait, you won't be dissappointed and a huge thanks to all the forum members that provided a world of information during the process. I look forward to keeping the forum going strong.

Can I meet your girlfriend?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
:thumbs: great review. Thanks.

BTW - how many miles did it have when you picked it up?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sol4soul try turning the volume all the way up on the Ipod and then use the Sol's stereo to adjust the volume. See if this will get you more volume.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try to address all questions without quoting everyone:

I'll hopefully have pictures by the end of the weekend. No, you cannot meet my girlfriend (thanks for asking though) and she won't be in the pics as she refuses to have her picture on the internet. I got the ebony leather seating. Car had 22 miles on it when I got it. IPOD's volume should only be at about 80% for maximum clarity and yes the stereo was cranked up. It's just a huge difference from a CD or radio station. I forgot to mention this earlier and it's a not a big deal but when your left hand is on the wheel at 10-11 o' clock you can block your view of the speedometer (and I don't have freakish gargantuan hands). You also have to look toward the left to see the speedometer, the placement seems a little off and something I'll need to get used to. I hope you all get your Solstices soon, it's not fair that we all can't enjoy them together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts