Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I am in the Army and brought my GXP with me to Germany. I finally managed to make the 4 hour trip over to the Nurburgring last week. :D

Some quick disclaimers before I get all of the "experts" telling me what I shoulda done or how slowly I was driving or you name it. I already caught it over on FB. (If I sound a bit negative or disgruntled, I apologize but I really hate it when people who have no idea what they're talking about try to talk smack) I'm always open for pointers or tips but snarky comments really rub me the wrong way as I am sure they do most people. :rant:

Also, please keep in mind that while I was waiting to get on the track, I saw no less than 4 "track prepped cars" being taken away on flatbeds. Also, later in the day there was actually a fatality on the track. Which makes my caution seem a bit wiser in hindsight, especially considering I had only ever seen the track on YouTube and in video games. (which BTW are no where near the experience of actually driving the track) Yes, I know I missed the apex more times than I can count and slowed down when I should have sped up and got passed like I was sitting still (yes, even by a Miata :leaving:)but like I said, I was learning the track. It was a blast and the experience of a lifetime and I will be back :yesnod:

Having said all of that keep this in mind:
1. I am NOT a professional driver
2. I do NOT own a "track prepped car" (she is more or less a daily driver)
3. This was my 1st lap around The Ring
4. I am NOT the Stig

I hope you enjoy. :)

And one with a little music:

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Looks like a blast!!! :cool:
I would love to drive the Nurburgring someday (it's unfortunately way down on the old bucket list)....and yes, I'm sure I would go even slower the 1st time on the track. You can't find the limits of what a car (and driver) can do without exceeding that limit which rarely ends well..:lol:. It would make me want to go again and again.. :willy:

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
lol! Maddog, tell the haters to piss off! Just the opportunity to do what you did is more than most of us could hope for. Looks like a blast!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I really enjoyed this! Thank you for posting it. Just wondering if you get a lot of looks/ curiosity in a Solstice GXP in Germany? Or, are there quite a few Opel GT's around so people are used to them?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Awesome Vid, thanks!

That track looks a little unforgiving with it's fender munching guard rails. I bet I could drive any rental car there faster than my own Sol!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Great vid. As someone who takes his cars to California Speedway I can appreciate you being cautious. I can't tell you the number of cars I have seen damaged there and they tend to always be Porsche's. My brother is stationed in Germany and I keep telling him he needs to do this before he comes back. Thank you for your service to our country.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for posting. Do they give you a stat of your average speed, time etc?

All I can say is wow, that's a time to ALWAYS remember. Thank for your service to our country.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Very cool! No apologies needed. It is a huge track that bites many. I'd love to try it and would probably do no better.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
AWESOME....thank you!!! :dthumbs:

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Awesome. It's a shame others can't appreciate this for what it is:
A remarkable experience.
Congrats. I'm jealous.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
That was great. I drove Daytona many, many, many years ago. I don't think I drove any faster than you did, and that was an oval.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Awesome. Goes to show you the average talent of drivers over there vs here. Over here, if you go out to daytona or the like to ride around, you get to go single file and slow speed and NO passing. There, they put bikes, exotics and what looked to be a mini van on at the same time as regular cars. What was the cost for this? Is it open only special days or what? How many laps did you do? Pay per lap? And did you listen to Magic carpet ride on repeat while driving?

I would fear being run over or smoking a bike or something. I know you are only responsible for those in front of you, but a little wide through a corner when someone is doing twice your speed would be a bad day for both.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Awesome. Goes to show you the average talent of drivers over there vs here. Over here, if you go out to daytona or the like to ride around, you get to go single file and slow speed and NO passing. There, they put bikes, exotics and what looked to be a mini van on at the same time as regular cars.
Thus, why someone died the day he was there. I think it has less to do with talent level and more to do with blissful ignorance. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like a blast. In the mid 1970's I had the opportunity to take my 1961 MGA out on to the 2 mile oval at what was then Ontario Motor Speedway in Ontario, California. Had the little MGA going a s fast as it could go (couldn't accurately judge the speed because the Werner speedometer bounced wildly once it went above 85 mph). I remember distinctly feeling like I was going to slid down the track because I couldn't go fast enough in the MGA. I don't think that would be a problem at the ring.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First, thank you all and it is indeed my honor to serve our great nation. (no bs there, I truly believe that) :patriot: I chose this job because it was something I always wanted to do as a kid and ended up falling in love with it. Can't ask for much more than loving what you do.

Yes, this was a bucket list item that I finally crossed off. :willy:

This was a huge blast to do and I look forward to doing it again before the snows come.

I will try to answer your questions in the order they were asked. :)

1) I have only seen one other Solstice over here but she left for the States about 3 months after I got here. I know that there is another GXP up in Leipzig (GTfastbacker) but we haven't managed to meet up yet. As I told him in a PM, I am almost afraid that we are going to get sued for all of the injured necks. I have seen a guy fall out of a chair, a cyclist lose his balance and have come back to the parking lot more than a few times to find people taking pictures. So, I would say that most Europeans appreciate our little cars. I've seen 3 Opel GTs since being here.
2) That track is very unforgiving. There are only 2 run off spots and even those aren't very big and actually where a good deal of the accidents happen.
3) Tell your brother he MUST do this, he will NEVER forget it and will probably regret not doing it when he could have. :yesnod: (BTW, where is he stationed?)
4) They do not give stats or times. There is a big clock at the start but from my reading, that is the best way to bend a car. The logic is that if you are timing yourself, you will try to beat the clock and not drive well. It's not recommended to time yourself until you have at least 50 or so laps under your belt.
5) I came to the conclusion while driving through Paris and Milan that the average American driver's head would explode if they were just thrown into this driving style. It is insane. Then again, it is much more expensive and much harder to get a license over here, your average 16-17yo does not have a car.
6) There wasn't a minivan in the video but plenty of little hatchbacks.
7) Yes, any road going vehicle can go on the track. It is a public road (albeit a toll road). This day there was a tour bus and an Ford F250 that made the loop, needless to say they didn't set any track records.
8) It cost 30euro (approx $35) a lap or 4 laps for 98euro (approx $110)
9) I only did 1 lap. I didn't want to press my luck. This was day 2 of a week long roadtrip.
10)It is open most days except in really bad weather.
11)I knew that Magit Carpet Ride was going to be the song I started out with but I got too excited and hit the wrong button and it just repeated.
12)You MUST watch your mirrors or you will hit someone. Rule #1 of the Ring: There is ALWAYS someone faster than you! :yesnod: They typically won't pass unless you put your right signal on to let them know that you know that they are there (or at least the smart ones do).
13)The bikers are suicidal. Notice at approx 4:04, that biker was literally less than 2 feet from my bumper, at 70-80mph that is TOO close! It was a biker that was killed that day.
14)If you notice, most of the time I missed a good angle on a corner, you will see a car pass me shortly afterwards.

It was a helluva ride, that is for sure. If any of you do come to Germany, plan a day to come here. You can rent a car (everything from a Renault Clio to a 911) or you can take the Ring taxi, a BMW M3 (the white M3s that kept passing me). I also did the Stelvio Pass in Italy but I am still editing that video. It's not as exciting to watch but absolutely beautiful. My avatar was taken on the Stelvio Pass.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. :)

MD4

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
Great Video and thanks for the posting.
Is your car, your time and it is for your benefit, enjoyment etc...
I do not know why people make stupid coments on something like this.
Just been there and driving it is a great experience and something unforgatable.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I would be as conservative as you were on my first visit. Those other maniacs passed you like you were standing still and were immediately out of sight. How fast were those other cars going anyway?

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I would be as conservative as you were on my first visit. Those other maniacs passed you like you were standing still and were immediately out of sight. How fast were those other cars going anyway?
Yes, they were. :leaving: As to how fast they were going, I am not sure but if you figure that I was doing between 50-90mph...well, you can do the math. I'm not saying that I will ever drive like that but I do know the track a little better now and I know what to expect. I do know that it wasn't because of my car that I was going so slowly. My nerve gave out way before the Sol's grip. :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts