Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hit by a guy running a red light sending me into a traffic pole.
my 2009 solstice coupe (automatic) was written off and I went thru the icbc ordeal of having a reasonable value assessed for this limited production model. This vehicle is not classified as rare as some state and although there are over a 1000 made, in the eyes of the insurance corporations, it is not rare......yet.

I found several listed with asking prices, and the one thing they had against me was that I had 46000 km on mine as opposed to the average 5000 km as those shown.

I loved this car as much as you all and am so angry about the fact it is gone.
I have a hard time wanting to spend the money on another coupe, or any solstice model for that matter as I had had some pricy serv ices

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
sorry about you loss, hope you are ok.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Oh, Gladiator, that just breaks my heart. I sure hope you reconsider and get another Sol. And may your first baby RIP. :(

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Gladiator, I see you mention ICBC. Where abouts are you? I saw a black coupe in Coquitlam once (that wasn't mine)

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I was hit by a guy running a red light sending me into a traffic pole.
my 2009 solstice coupe (automatic) was written off and I went thru the icbc ordeal of having a reasonable value assessed for this limited production model. This vehicle is not classified as rare as some state and although there are over a 1000 made, in the eyes of the insurance corporations, it is not rare......yet.

I found several listed with asking prices, and the one thing they had against me was that I had 46000 km on mine as opposed to the average 5000 km as those shown.

I loved this car as much as you all and am so angry about the fact it is gone.
I have a hard time wanting to spend the money on another coupe, or any solstice model for that matter as I had had some pricy serv ices
Your best bet is to not accept the settlement and sue for actual replacement cost.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
The important thing is you survived. And while your insurance company may not have given you what you hoped or felt deserved, I encourage you to begin searching for another if your truly enjoyed it. No, they may not be considered truly rare but with the passage of time coupes will start becoming more difficult to locate. In addition; Norm's hardtop coupe may be another option. Also, if you could please report your last 4 VIN numbers to forum member Shadowfax (keeper of the coupe list) it would be appreciated since he's keeping a listing of coupes and totaled coupes. And again, I'm sorry for your loss but glad you are OK.

Also, for everyone else that reads this;; the only way an insurance company will pay you want you feel your vehicle is worth is to search for an insurance company that offers Agreed value and NOT Stated value.

Agreed value guarantees a set amount of coverage agreed upon at the time the policy was issued and is generally accepted as the best position for the owners of classics, unique, or highly modified vehicles. It carries a number of advantages:
• Allows the driver to secure and present a professional appraisal of the vehicle that they
accept as a valid representation of its worth.
• Unlike standard insurance, the value of your car does no depreciate over the life of the
policy.
• Is the only type of coverage that guarantees the owners will be paid in full in the event of a loss.

Whereas

Stated value coverage pays the cost of repair to the car or the stated value of the car, whichever is less, at the time that a claim is filed. There are a number of problems with this type of policy:
• The stated value is actually used only to determine the premium level. The higher the stated value, the higher the premium.
• In the event of a claim, the language of the contract allows the insurer to set an actual cash value instead of paying the stated amount as the insured party was given to believe. Essentially, the company accepts the owner's stated value at the time the policy is issued, but does not issue any formal agreement with that value in the event of a claim. This gives them considerable leeway in honoring the benefits of the coverage. It's a rule of thumb in insurance that the company will always pay the least amount possible.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Your best bet is to not accept the settlement and sue for actual replacement cost.
Except that he's in Canada, so that may not actually be an option. I'm not sure.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Sorry to hear Gladiator, did you get any pics, I assume if the insurance company is calling it a total loss it's not good? I'd have to consider with this car, if ours was ever badly damaged, possibly buying back and making all the mods I don't want to do to a stock Coupe ride.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Glad you are okay!

We just went through the same experience earlier this year with our H3. To make matters worse, the repair vs. total cost was under $1k yet we were still forced to take the loss. I was all set to buy our truck back for salvage value but the fact that I couldn't then get comprehensive insurance for it after the repair made me reconsider.

On the positive side, we were able to upgrade from an '06 with 160k miles to an '09 with only 18k miles.

The '09 Hummer is the first used vehicle that I've purchased since 1985, if our Solstice gets hit, I would do the same deal. In fact, I may never buy a new car again because if one has patience, there's a used car out there that is a much better deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts