Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

My solstice is getting water inside.

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  yellsnake 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my solstice has developed a water issue over the past couple of weeks. If it rains moderately or heavily the passenger floorboard gets soaked with water. I don't think it is coming from the top which was my first thought because only the carpet is wet and there aren't any water stains or wetness in any other location. I am fairly positive that it is coming from under the dashboard even though I have not seen proof. It will not leak every time. I ran it through a car wash the other day, it didn't leak a drop, it sat through a down pour and the passenger floor was soaked. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with this or any thoughts on what to do? Thanks guys. Merry Christmas.

#3 ·
A couple of years ago I was caught driving in a downpour. I was in the far left lane of a divided street; so there was a curb there and standing water. Twice I hit the standing water with the result being my legs from the knee down being drenched with a violent spray of water. The water came from somewhere under the steering column (naturally door was closed, windows shut tight, and top fastened.
This never has re-occurred since and I never was able to pinpoint where the two shots of water came from.

#4 ·
speaking of water, I removed the waterfall over the weekend and when I pulled the carpet back on the drivers side, I had water in the low spots behind the seat. I can't remember if it rained hard the week before but I'm at a loss as to how it got there. I blotted it up real good and dried the 2 white foam squares that were wet and put a fan on it. could have been left over from when I had my windows down a little and it rained inside but that was a few weeks ago and I haven't smelled anything. However, with the cooler weather, it hasn't had a chance to get funky.

#5 ·
Ok my did this once also take seats out and carpet and dry it out good ,
I read there's a seem on the firewall that leaks , again it's hard to find but do a search on here you should be able to find the thread on it
Good luck
By the way I never found the exact spot or fixed mine I just don't drive in heavy rain anymore

#6 ·
I just don't drive in heavy rain anymore
That's the whole reason I bought the Solstice. Got tired of riding my motorcycles in heavy rain.
I have driven in heavy rain with no leaks, but not through a lot of standing water (puddles).

mcpigm01, you also state that the car was just parked in a rain and water got in? Sounds like experiment time to deduce where the water is getting in.

I would place some paper towels in various places inside the car from along the bottom edge of the windows to high up under the dash and leave the car out in a rain and look for evidence of where it might be coming from.

Good luck and I hope you find the source sooner than later.

#8 ·
If the paper towel doesn't help, take cornstarch and place in specific areas....if there's a waterleak, the cornstarch will help you trace it. Flour doesn't work!! It falls off the paint, cornstarch sticks to it. Just be sure to wipe it all off after you figure out where it's leaking. It can be messy if your putting it on interior trim, so I only put it on my painted surfaces. I had a door seal leak and found where it was coming from very quickly!

#9 ·
had this issue with my honda del sol.thought it was a windshield leak but apparently it was raining hard enough where the water was backing up in the cowl drain and going over the top of the box for the cabin air intake.if its only happening once in a while check the drains in the cowl,make sure they dont have crap built up in them.

#10 ·
I have found that there is a floor frame lap just forward of the fuse box on the passenger side. What I did was disconnect the battery, then remove the fuse box and the plastic black frame that it sits in. This will uncover the seam that requires resealing. I was able to retrieve some PRC sealant from work and inject sealant into the frame seam. I tested the seal by driving thru a puddle where normally it would've turned that side of the car into a wave pool..I've been looking for this leak on and off for about a year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.