Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I went to the Covert dealership in Bastrop Texas and met with the salesman who sold me my Vibe.

Together, we went through the modest options list and pieced together my Solstice order.

If it's filled as expected in early June, I should have a Shadow Solstice with leather interior (black is the only current leather option), all options packages, etc. The final price with options and delivery should be around $24,000.

They did not require a $2,000 deposit or any sort of signed committment. Basically, I think they are curious to get the order feedback of a 20-something single professional while waiting to see if GM can deliver the Solstice as promised.

One question: I've heard that the ecotech engine is appropriated from the cavalier(or cobalt?), and it's described as bulletproof and capable of fitting a supercharger -- can anyone confirm this? I was relaxed with my Vibe purchase knowing it was a Toyota underneath. The Solstice has me more excited but a bit less confident.

~TJ

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
You may want to check back with your dealer regarding the Early Order Program. To order in that program to try and get one of the first 1000 cars, you will need to get online, create your car (after the Apprentice airs next week) and then go to your dealer at 2 PM Friday to put your order in the system and see if it gets accepted. Otherwise, your order will be for a post 1000 EOP car, and it probably will be later than June before you see it.

As for the engine, the Solstice is getting a 2.4L Ecotec which is a derrivative of the engine in the Cavalier (2.2L). However, it has a number of differences too, from a higher displacement to VVT, and some internal changes. Its compression is also very high, so boosting this motor may not be tricky (although certainly not impossible). It should still be exceptionally strong internally.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Actually, there are two leather choices. Ebony and the two tone granite/sand (gray+tan).

The engine is a varient of the 2.2L ECOTEC and the 2.0L Supercharged ECOTEC. It's pretty much a 2.4L version of the 2.2L with some extra technologies from the 2.0L. PLUS it adds Variable Valve Timing (VVT) which is used to increase the performance across the power band at various levels, and to increase fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Maybe we should raise our hands so he can choose on who to post first. :D
We do a great job of all posting at once. :lol:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
What took you guys so long to reply! Lets get to down to less than a half hour, OK? :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wowo, thanks for all the quick replies!

I'll find out about those particulars of ordering that you mentioned -- the Covert dealership definitely meets the volume reqs to participate, but they just sounded unfamiliar with the program in general.

Hmm, if a sand leather interior is possible, I might switch to the red or white...my dealership was only aware of the ebony color.

Thanks for the info on the engine. Now if it's reliable, I'm really looking forward to it -- it sounds like it has a lot of potential.

Last thing is, I'm kinda disappointed to see the thing on the Apprentice. I mean, it's probably a great move for GM and all, but there goes the mystique of belonging to an elite clique...

~TJ

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The other interior is sand and steel (dark grey). We have conflicting reports about if it's available on 2 of the colors (red & green). The order book online says no but that might be changing based on newer info but still not confirmed.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
tjac003 said:
wowo, thanks for all the quick replies!

I'll find out about those particulars of ordering that you mentioned -- the Covert dealership definitely meets the volume reqs to participate, but they just sounded unfamiliar with the program in general.

Hmm, if a sand leather interior is possible, I might switch to the red or white...my dealership was only aware of the ebony color.

Thanks for the info on the engine. Now if it's reliable, I'm really looking forward to it -- it sounds like it has a lot of potential.

Last thing is, I'm kinda disappointed to see the thing on the Apprentice. I mean, it's probably a great move for GM and all, but there goes the mystique of belonging to an elite clique...

~TJ
Size of dealership has nothing to do with EOP. If they sent in (or had billed) the $295 dealer kit and signed up for the program back in March then they are good to go. And so are you - IF you watch The Apprentice on 4/14, log on afterward, get a consumer ID, go to dealer on 4/15 at 2 PM and they successfully get one of teh first 1000 ordered, IF, IF, IF :willy:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Maybe we should raise our hands so he can choose on who to post first. :D
We do a great job of all posting at once. :lol:
I was in first, so you and mceb were just late to the party! :lol:

Hey, its better to have too many people responding than not enough! :thumbs:

·
Registered
11 Posts
brentil said:
The engine is a varient of the 2.2L ECOTEC and the 2.0L Supercharged ECOTEC. It's pretty much a 2.4L version of the 2.2L with some extra technologies from the 2.0L. PLUS it adds Variable Valve Timing (VVT) which is used to increase the performance across the power band at various levels, and to increase fuel economy.
Just curious, I do believe the block is aluminium. If so, makes me think of the split block migraine inducing Northstar engine that was plagued with leaks. Any resemblence per chance?

cheers

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
guenter said:
Just curious, I do believe the block is aluminium. If so, makes me think of the split block migraine inducing Northstar engine that was plagued with leaks. Any resemblence per chance?

cheers
I haven't heard of any issues like that with the ECOTEC that I know of.

·
Registered
338 Posts
brentil said:
I haven't heard of any issues like that with the ECOTEC that I know of.
Block and heads both aluminum. I think the Northstar issues were with first run blocks. The central foundry where most of the alum. blocks/heads & alum casting research is on my way to work, about 10 miles from my house. Actually have a few inside contacts, maybe I'll ask for the chief metallurgist's take. Don't know if they're casting them there, but at lest he'll have a real idea of the alloy/strength, but with the compression, gotta be high tensile stuff. In fact, one of the engineers emailed me about 3 months ago to find out if a golf club set would fit. ;) :lol: :cool: Gives me a reason to call.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts