Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i turn my key the engine makes a dull warring sound for a second then stops, all electrics work (stereo, power windows, lights) no warning lights stay on or anything, tried to jump start and push start it the other day, when push start after i popped the clutch it started for a second then died, happened twice, anyone know what could be the problem? :(

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Happened to me when the BCM "forgot" the key. If you have the lock light illuminated, the BCM is shutting the car off as soon as it starts.

There is a procedure for relearning the key that you can perform at home.

Basically, if you see a green padlock when the key is turned on for a few seconds, then you need to run the procedure.

Make sure your battery is fully charged.

Turn the key on (run position) with the engine OFF. Wait 11 minutes. The lock symbol should go off at about 9.5 minutes.
Turn the key off, wait 30 seconds.
Turn key on for 11 minutes as above
Turn key off, wait 30 seconds
Repeat key on for 11 minutes as above
Turn key off, wait 30 seconds.

Then the car should start and continue to run.
I uploaded a new tune to my car and in the process the BCM forgot my key unique code. The car would start, fire a couple of times and immediately shut down.

It was the security system shutting off the motor.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
I have to admit that I had no clue when it happened to me. I had to call my tech and he asked me if the lock warning light was on . .. after that I remembered a post by Small Dealer that had the procedure in it. And fortunately it worked to solve my problem.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Happened to me when the BCM "forgot" the key. If you have the lock light illuminated, the BCM is shutting the car off as soon as it starts.

There is a procedure for relearning the key that you can perform at home.

Basically, if you see a green padlock when the key is turned on for a few seconds, then you need to run the procedure.

Make sure your battery is fully charged.

Turn the key on (run position) with the engine OFF. Wait 11 minutes. The lock symbol should go off at about 9.5 minutes.
Turn the key off, wait 30 seconds.
Turn key on for 11 minutes as above
Turn key off, wait 30 seconds
Repeat key on for 11 minutes as above
Turn key off, wait 30 seconds.

Then the car should start and continue to run.
I uploaded a new tune to my car and in the process the BCM forgot my key unique code. The car would start, fire a couple of times and immediately shut down.

It was the security system shutting off the motor.
A new tune caused that? Weird. I have loaded around 100 tunes to my car alone, and at least 50 on other kappas, and I've never had something like that happen. <knock on wood>

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
If I am not mistaken the procedure is also listed in the owners manual.
It definitely has to be done if you change ECM's.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When i turn my key the engine makes a dull warring sound for a second then stops, all electrics work (stereo, power windows, lights) no warning lights stay on or anything, tried to jump start and push start it the other day, when push start after i popped the clutch it started for a second then died, happened twice, anyone know what could be the problem? :(
Sorry to hear about the issues occurring with your Solstice. Please keep us posted on the situation. If you decide to have the dealership look at it, please let send a PM with the VIN#, your name, situation, contact information, current mileage, and name of the dealer. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Did you check the battery? Could well be the battery and/or alternator (alternator is not charging, so battery is dead). No juice in the battery to start, and when jumped, no alternator to keep the engine running (and battery charged).

·
Registered
728 Posts
Did you check the battery? Could well be the battery and/or alternator (alternator is not charging, so battery is dead). No juice in the battery to start, and when jumped, no alternator to keep the engine running (and battery charged).
+2 Happened to me when my battery died, car would NOT start with jumper cables either.. With me the entire electrical system died, no power any where, key got stuck in the ignition, after trying to boost the car, I got some power back on the dash, was able to remove the key, but car however would NOT start until I replaced the battery.. My battery was 6.5 years old..

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
...as i said at first everything electrical still works (radio, windows and lights)
Battery problems are VERY weird with these cars. Many posts on this where people report that electrics all work but car won't start, and a replacement battery 'fixed' it.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
The problem could be the clutch switch.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The OP states that the engine makes a noise when he turns the key. That suggests power supply issue. If the clutch safety switch was not working, it shouldn't make any noise at all, just dead key.

I'm going with TS on this one: Check the battery and terminals. Just get a new battery and put it in. At least you will eliminate that variable for sure.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It sounds like a weak battery issue to me too. Of course you should also check the cables from the battery, if a ground wire is not good it will give the same symptom as a weak battery.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I suspect the battery fixed it as the member joined January 2013 ans hasn't posted here since the 17th. would have nice to get an update though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts