Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
20,025 Posts
Interesting. My riders use both handles so its not an option for PunisheR

Since my dash is painted and has a good surface for mounting I have a magnet holder taped to the dash that is convenient to the drivers seat but out of the way of operating the car.

· Premium Member
20,025 Posts
I learned to operate in an environment where I was commanding my tank, commanding the company listening to the Battalion command net and responding as necessary and listening to the company command net. All while executing a movement to contact and hasty attack. With people shooting at us with direct and indirect fires. Having my phone on is pretty much not a challenge. Most humans are more than capable of multi-tasking.

But you can't let the phone distract you from your primary tasking.

Its kind of like watching a football game while your wife is giving you a detailed rundown on every thing she learned from her sister during a four hour phone call. "Yes dear"

· Registered
slivergxp&.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler twin turbo ford
2,746 Posts
I learned to operate in an environment where I was commanding my tank, commanding the company listening to the Battalion command net and responding as necessary and listening to the company command net. All while executing a movement to contact and hasty attack. With people shooting at us with direct and indirect fires. Having my phone on is pretty much not a challenge. Most humans are more than capable of multi-tasking.

Its kind of like watching a football game while your wife is giving you a detailed rundown on every thing she learned from her sister during a four hour phone call. "Yes dear"
"most humans"...... there's a lot of gray aera there!!!

· Registered
241 Posts
My phone is not off when my car is on, how else am I supposed to listen to music off youtube lol.

Although I do get your message, I ride motorcycles. It's gotten so horrible to ride anymore with people on their phones.
I have my GPS paired with my helmet on the BMW, on my other bike NO Bluetooth helmet just the motorcycle and wind. The cars old 6 disc cd player gives me a reason to still hang on to the thousands of cd,s we still own.

· Registered
241 Posts

I agree but I think it is “ learned skill” and most people have learning disabilities

· Registered
1,310 Posts
According to research, no one can truly 'multi-task'. It's more like rapidly switching your attention from one task to another. Heck, I only turn the radio on twice a year, to reset the clock for [email protected]## savings time. I like to hear the music played by the car.

Reactions: agent008

· Registered
2008 Solstice manual
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not suggesting that anyone talks on the phone while they're driving. When I was still working I spent many hours traveling for work and sitting on the side of the road with my Bluetooth on, and laptop on my seat. I like having a phone for gps also. Whatever you're comfortable with and can do safely

· Registered
7,158 Posts
Some state that using hands-free is no different than talking to someone in the vehicle. I've read studies that show that is not the case for most people. When talking to a person in the vehicle your mind is in the "here and now". On the phone your mind is wandering to the other end of the conversation, especially if it is a heated conversation. I've had it happen to me years back when I was chewing a customer's ass that was trying to penalize my employer for a mistake THEY made. I was about 10 miles past my exit when I realized I had blown by it.

I'm sure many people can handle it, but my little 12 mile commute in the morning and evening usually produces 2 to 5 examples each day of those that can't!

· Registered
7,158 Posts
I think that most people think they can handle multi-tasking simply because they have always gotten away with it. And then one day they don't.
A few years back I was behind a woman who was obviously distracted as she nearly ran a red light. I immediately threw my SUV into reverse because I saw what was happening. Sure enough, she threw hers into reverse and started to back out of the intersection without even looking behind her..

When the light changed she was driving 20 mph in a 45 in a 5 lane (center turn) state highway. As I drove around her I saw she was holding her phone up for a "facetime" video chat!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts