Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the few down-sides of owning more than one Sky is that each of them has four tires, and those tires eventually have to be replaced. Sometimes they all have to be replaced at the same time.

The '07 NA got new Michelin MXV4s in the spring of 2012 in anticipation of the Annual Meet in Asheville. Great tires for that car, I really liked them and was quite disappointed to learn that they were no longer available. Now into 2020 those tires are 9 years old so they are ready to be replaced.

The '08 RL got new Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s in the spring of 2016. Unfortunately the alignment that was done on it during the rebuild omitted the rear caster, and two of those tires lasted just about a year before i found the problem, so it got two more new AS3s in the spring of 2017. Those tires were doing great until last month when one of the original pair picked up two nails and was determined to be non-repairable with about 2/3 of its tread remaining.

So, what to do? I don't want to replace one four-year-old tire since the RL is fairly picky about its tires and even on "regular" cars I have had problems after replacing one tire in that condition. That means that I need two for the RL, but to further complicate things the AS3 has been replaced with the AS3+ and is no longer available. Are the new tires close enough to the old tires to mix them on the car? I don't know. Michelin's replacement for the MXV4 is the Premier, but they actually cost 25% more than PS AS3+, so I won't be buying them since they are a lower performance tire and I will not put enough miles on them to benefit from the longer tread life of 65k vs 45k miles.

My solution was to move the newer set of AS3 to the front of the NA, put two new AS3+ on the back, and then put four new AS3+ with new TPMS sensors on the RL. I also bought a TPMS sensor reader that is worth twice what I paid for it, even if I never use it again, because it made teaching the sensors to the car take just about one minute. Amazing.

Buying six new tires was a bit painful, but driving two cars with newer, and in one case better, tires is really nice.
tires.jpg IMG_20200115_193655131_MP.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of curiosity - why were the tires deemed unrepairable from a couple nails? Sidewall?
They were completely in the tread, but about 2 inches apart. 16 inches is considered by many to be the minimum spacing between repairs, but 4 inches is pretty much an absolute based on the size patches they use and the restriction about them overlapping. They were also really big nails.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
ok, please post a link to the TPMS tool ...

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I've never patched a tire in my life, but I've put in a couple dozen plugs - I wouldn't be scared to throw two plugs in and never look back.

My dad's been plugging tires since the 60's and has never had a single issue with them. When I was 16 I had 6 plugs in one tire and then drove it till they were bald.

When I googled on plugs tonight it said that they should only be used for a temporary fix. That was laughable to me. Between my father and I, we've put enough in and then driven hard on them that I wouldn't bat an eye on throwing two in.

I've never in my life taken a tire into a shop to have them repair a nail, but then again, I've never in my life taken a vehicle to a shop to do anything other than paint.

·
Super Moderator
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I too have plugged a number of tires and driven on them without any problems. I have also driven after drinking and occasionally without a seat belt.

I took this one in after tugging on the nail for a while and deciding that i would rather pay someone else to fix it. They gave it back to me with the nails out and the notice that it was not considered repairable, so I took it home with the intention of plugging it myself and continuing to use it, but made the mistake of reading up on why they said it shouldn't be repaired. Once I understood the reasoning I decided that the risk was greater than the cost avoidance and chose to replace it.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I too have plugged a number of tires and driven on them without any problems. I have also driven after drinking and occasionally without a seat belt.

I took this one in after tugging on the nail for a while and deciding that i would rather pay someone else to fix it. They gave it back to me with the nails out and the notice that it was not considered repairable, so I took it home with the intention of plugging it myself and continuing to use it, but made the mistake of reading up on why they said it shouldn't be repaired. Once I understood the reasoning I decided that the risk was greater than the cost avoidance and chose to replace it.
Yeah, I completely understand not running on it with plugs - after reading the internet. Everything I read made it sound like the car would explode in a firey inferno if driven very far. I wonder how many of the articles were written by tire manufacturers trying to get another tire sale. Despite spending 60 sec trying to find a single real life story on the interwebs of someone experiencing a problem after a plug....I couldn't find a single story.
What I did find however was article after article of how they're "unsafe" - but not a single story to back that up. I'd never encourage or recommend someone to do something that may endanger themselves - but I'll personally take the "risk" of a tire plug any day, and not think twice about it....

I will concede that I've never raced, but google "autocross tire plug" - looks like lots of people have run plugs and still raced.

·
Super Moderator
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't really worried about the fiery inferno thing, it was more about being out on a trip when the cord breaks and ruining a nice weekend. Just to be clear, a plug wouldn't have been a problem for me or the tire shop, and there are a lot of things that I will do in a parking lot that I won't do on a twisty mountain road a hundred miles from nowhere.

Besides which, driving on new tires is enough worth it that I may start replacing them every five years regardless.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Yeah, I completely understand not running on it with plugs - after reading the internet. Everything I read made it sound like the car would explode in a firey inferno if driven very far. I wonder how many of the articles were written by tire manufacturers trying to get another tire sale. Despite spending 60 sec trying to find a single real life story on the interwebs of someone experiencing a problem after a plug....I couldn't find a single story.
What I did find however was article after article of how they're "unsafe" - but not a single story to back that up. I'd never encourage or recommend someone to do something that may endanger themselves - but I'll personally take the "risk" of a tire plug any day, and not think twice about it....

I will concede that I've never raced, but google "autocross tire plug" - looks like lots of people have run plugs and still raced.
No way? People on the internet could have an ulterior motive? ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts