Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, im new to posting in the forums. ive used this site several times to fix my wifes 2008 Solstice and appreciate all the awesome DIY. i just recently installed a new sound system in her solstice (as everyone knows the stock one sucks). I replaced the Door speakers the rear speakers and the tweeters with alpines and i put a low profile 8"sub thats built into the 800w amplifier by Boss Audio (I managed to fit it behind the panel behind the passenger seat). i replaced her stock radio with a decent JVC head unit 4channel 50w built in amp. the problem i have is... i plugged the new speakers to the old wires and now the right side tweeter blew. the tweeters are the Alpine SPS- 110TW Type-S they say they 100w RMS and 300w peak. so im assuming that blowing these isnt easy... anyways anyone know how I can prevent this from happening again? i heardcrossovers*are the way to go. i have also seen the trick where you wire a 12v lightbulb in line with the speakers so if theres too much*power*being sent to them the lightbulb lights up and takes the excess power (at the same time limiting the performance of the speaker). anyways if anyone has came across this issue before or just knows what i need to do i could really use the help.
*Thanks! -Shawn

·
Registered
523 Posts
The factory Monsoon stereo system in my Solstice sounds fantastic. It even gives the passenger a free back massage when I crank it.
If you install an aftermarket system I think you might lose the warning chimes, Onstar sound, phone sound etc.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I started writing the response below and just finished when I realized that I think you added separate speakers and tweeters in parallel WITHOUT a crossover? That's really not a good idea. If I'm wrong, continue below...

----------
I doubt it's a case of too much power blowing the tweeter, so forget about the lightbulb :)

First, are you SURE the tweeter is actually blown? (and not that the wiring is disconnected somewhere).

Secondly, if in fact the tweeter is dead, maybe it was just a bad build (infant mortality) and you need a replacement under warranty.

If neither of the above, what usually blows speakers is when the amp itself is overdriven to the point of clipping. That can send a whole bunch of (non-audio) power down the wires and burn out voice coils... so your nice JVC radio may just not be up to providing the power you want.

In summary though, I'd carefully check all the wiring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I didn't add crossovers... And the speaker sounds like popcorn rapidly firing off. Do I install the crossovers just for the tweeters? Would a 8 microfarad non-polarized capacitor work for a crossover? Ps this was my first time installing a full system.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Yeah, you decreased the Ω on the tweets and probably whatever else is on that channel. that's why you should buy a component set so you don't have this problem. I have a set of Alpine tweets and they came with a ceramic resistor and capacitor for each tweet. I'd make sure these are not run parrallel like tomato soup said and add a capacitor to eliminate the bass and midrange and you should be good to go. You should be able to look up the recomended value and get them at radio shack for a couple bucks.

Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts