Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was getting my car washed, dreaming of june when i hope to get my solstice, i looked at the cleaning mechanisms through the moonroof window and thought.... :skep: how am i gonna keep the solstice clean? how could i take it through this car wash with that cloth roof??!!!

sorry, but i've never had a convertible. and it seems like a good idea to sweat the details before i buy. :)

ideas/assurances???

·
Premium Member
8,258 Posts
uh...how about hand wash that beauty !!!

I'm not letting any brushes mess up my finish !!! :cuss:

·
Registered
337 Posts
HAND WASH :willy: HAND WASH :willy: PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I will only be hand washing this car, but I do run at times (Winter Months) my cars through laser brushless car washes. They are very common and nothing touches your vehicle and they do do an excellent job.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sol-Stitch-Ay! said:
As I was getting my car washed, dreaming of june when i hope to get my solstice, i looked at the cleaning mechanisms through the moonroof window and thought.... :skep: how am i gonna keep the solstice clean? how could i take it through this car wash with that cloth roof??!!!

sorry, but i've never had a convertible. and it seems like a good idea to sweat the details before i buy. :)

ideas/assurances???
Yeah def handwash the solstice not just because of the convertable because dirt can get on the brushes and good bye nice paintjob,, Around my town they are getting these car washes that are touchless and only uses sparay of high psi water... gets the job down,, i did have a convertable and a full bodykit and i only brought it to those types of touchless car washes..... 2 weeks black with 2 tones fully loaded except xm and onstar

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
umm i'm a city boy...there is no yard, no hose...though its a funny image of cracking open a fire hydrant to wash my solstice with kids running by splashing in the water. :lol: but i guess if the car is made to make it thorugh a pounding rain storm, i shouldnt doubt its ability to make it through a 4 minute long car wash.

i will do a search for those brushless car washes though, thanks.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would be more worried about those wheel guides you have drive through to position yourself properly in the wash bay, they are pretty high for such a low car as the Solstice... I would steer clear of ANY automatic car wash...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
There are a lot of places that have businesses that do handwashes.You might check around and see if there are any in your area.

·
Registered
265 Posts
look around. i've lived in a few big cities (nyc, philadelphia & chicago). they have car washes that are basically stalls with hoses hanging from the ceiling/walls with soap and water. you plug dollars/quarters/tokens into a meter and get time to wash your vehicle. quick. convenient. not necessarily cheap.

taking your sol through one of those high-psi "brushless" washes might be a big mistake. would you want to power wash your car???

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I've talked to a couple people who have done it, it's ok to drive your Solstice through a car wash. You don't have to be as die hard as everyone else about washing and waxing if you really don't care that much about it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I rarely do auto washes. Miata has never seen one in the 14 years I have owned it. Wrangler has never seen one in the seven years I have owned it.

Hand wash is best.

If you are apartment dweller or city slicker, I did this for several years, or live in cold weather, which I did for many years, use the self serve washes. Take along a 5 gallon bucket, your favorite car wash soap, sponge, mitt, a brush for the tires, and towels to dry. First rinse. Wash. Then rinse again. Use only rinse setting, not wash, hot wax, tire cleaner or any of that other crap. Definately don't use the foaming brush as it is usually filthy and will scratch the heck out of your finish. Keep the wand a considerable distance from the car, you don't want to blast the dirt into the paint. Remember you are just rinsing.

It is best to go when they are not busy so you can take your time and alot of places won't allow you to use your own bucket if others are waiting to get into the stall. This is the next best thing to a hand wash if you live in an apartment or it is so cold your driveway would turn into a skating rink. Also drive your car for at least 20 minutes or so with the heat cranked if below freezing so your locks won't freeze.

·
Registered
42 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.