Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I try and be very tolerant of others and their choices, and for the most part I am. However, apparently...this is not one of those times.

WHY, JUST WHY?:lol:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
It's Photoshopped right??? :wtf:

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Need that rear downforce!!

I remember my Fiero....when you hit 80mph, the front would lift, the car would start to dance and the ride would suddenly become as smooth as glass. All because the front end acted like a reverse wing. It was scary.

Reactions: ChopTop

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't know, with that big of a spoiler (wing) and the right angle, you may end up flying!

·
Registered
339 Posts
That spoiler is highly effective. It also help with downforce on Expeditions and, in the little-understood double-spoiler setup, on Fieros. Oh, and in good-natured trolling.

A guy in our Fiero club brought it to a meeting- he was trying to sell it. We had good fun (gently) placing it on most of the cars.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts

I remember my Fiero....when you hit 80mph, the front would lift, the car would start to dance and the ride would suddenly become as smooth as glass. All because the front end acted like a reverse wing. It was scary.
Had my 88 Fiero up to around 130 and it didn't lose 'steering weight'. What it did do was to pile up enough air underneath to make the headlights pop up....

As for the big winged Solstices - all they need to do is add bazooka exhaust tips to complete their masquerade of being Japanese boy racers!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Had my 88 Fiero up to around 130 and it didn't lose 'steering weight'. What it did do was to pile up enough air underneath to make the headlights pop up....
I've had my 87 pegged once, 120+. It was very light on the front end at that speed. The air passes through the radiator and has no good exit from under the hood. The Ford GT/GT-40 style extractor is an effective solution.

·
Registered
256 Posts

As for the big winged Solstices - all they need to do is add bazooka exhaust tips to complete their masquerade of being Japanese boy racers!
Obviously you had the V6. I had an 84 GT with the Iron Duke. I never noticed the front end getting light, but the Iron Duke could only push the car to about 105.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Obviously you had the V6. I had an 84 GT with the Iron Duke. I never noticed the front end getting light, but the Iron Duke could only push the car to about 105.
No telling actual speed, but I had my '85 SE to an indicated speed of about 127, where the front was too light for me. It could have used a spoiler on the front, but then, it wouldn't have gone that fast.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hello, you Fiero guys should have gotten my Tilt front ends that we even still make.

This one is All Electric and went 155mph at the Texas Mile.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Very nice Norm, like everything you do.

I'm sworn by my daughter to keep ours close to stock. I wish you made an OEM-style hood with an extractor!

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts

Were you being chased by Libyans in a VW bus? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tallcraig

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I had an 86 four-banger Fiero automatic and loved that car...I put 70K miles on it and aside from it's appetite for A/C belts (what a PITA to change!), it was pretty much trouble-free...no engine fires or any of that nonsense, and 33 MPG on the highway. I kept the droopy headliner in place with a DEVO pin.

Commuting across the Sunshine Skyway bridge here in Saint Pete, the front end would get crazy-light if a thunderstorm blew through during crossing...textbook involuntary lane changes. At least the wipers kept up with the deluge, so I'd be able to clearly see Tampa bay coming to meet my windshield if I got sucked over the jersey barriers!

Sadly, I got rid of it when the front wheel spindles disintegrated (plastic car, bad engine ground cable--what's the next biggest chunk of solid metal in the car?)...was going to cost over a grand to do the work, and by that time the clear-coat was a peeling mess and the A/C crapped out for good. It was time to move on.

Still miss it, and would have loved to been able to afford an '88 at the time. Or one of the convertible conversions, which were pretty sharp.

Now, I've finally got a real GM convertible! Full circle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts