Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a FAQ on the Solstice up on MYGMLink.com. Thought maybe I'd grab it for a sticky thread over here :)

See they have an auto trans question but auto isn't out yet :willy:

Why does the sound of my engine change when I turn on the Defrost?

When you select the floor/defog or defrost mode, the system runs the air conditioning compressor unless the outside temperature is near or below freezing. This helps to remove moisture from the vehicle, and also, helps to keep the windows clear. You may notice a slight change in engine performance when the air conditioning compressor turns on. This is normal. The system is designed to make adjustments to help with fuel economy while still maintaining the selected temperature.

Sometimes my Automatic Headlamp System makes the lights operate like it's dark outside, even during the day. Why would it do that?

Your vehicle is equipped with a light sensor on top of the instrument panel. Be sure the light sensor is not covered or the Automatic Headlamp System will be ON whenever the ignition is ON.

Why won't cruise control work at low speeds?

Cruise control is designed for use at moderate to fast road speeds and does not work at speeds below 25 mph (40 km/h). With cruise control, you can maintain a speed of about 25 mph (40 km/h) or more without keeping your foot on the accelerator. This can really help on long trips.

What's the Express-Down feature and how does it work?

The driver's window has an express-down feature which allows the window to be lowered fully without pressing and holding the switch. Press the front of the switch to the first position, and the window sill open a small amount. Press the switch down fully and the window will go all the way down. To stop the window while it is lowering, pull the front of the switch up.

How do I use the XM Satellite Radio Service?

XM is a satellite radio service that is based in the 48 contiguous United States and in Canada (if available). XM offers over 100 coast-to-coast channels including music, news, sports, talk, traffic/weather, and children's programming. XM provides digital quality audio and text information that includes song title and artist name. A service fee is required in order to receive the XM service. For more information, contact XM at www.xmradio.com or call 1-800-852-XMXM (9696).

Is it true that the engine coolant in my Solstice does not have to be changed for 150,000 miles (240 000 km)?

It's true. The cooling system in your vehicle is filled with DEX-COOL engine coolant. The coolant is designed to remain in your vehicle for 5 years or 150,000 miles (240 000 km), whichever occurs first, if you add only DEX-COOL extended life coolant.

Can I record my own CD and play it in my Solstice CD player?

Yes, if your AM/FM stereo with CD has MP3 playing capability, a CD-R or CD-RW containing MP3 audio tracks will play automatically when inserted into the CD player. An MP3 symbol will be displayed. Please note if you do record your own CD, do not a paper label which may jam in the CD player. Label your CD using a permanent marker instead.

Why does the radio display occasionally get temporarily dim during daytime driving

The Automatic Headlamp System may temporarily switch the headlamp and interior light systems, including the radio display, to the nighttime mode. This occurs when passing through darker conditions, such as a bridge or overpass, or inside a parking garage. A light sensor is located on top of the instrument panel. To ensure proper system operation, be sure the light sensor is not covered.

When should the oil be changed?

The system will show you when to change the oil. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset.

My child restraint seat is equipped with a top strap (top tether) . Where should this be attached?

There is no top strap anchor in your vehicle. Do not secure a child seat in your vehicle if a national or local law requires that the top strap be anchored, or if the instructions that come with the child restraint say that the top strap must be anchored.

What should I do if my remote keyless entry transmitter does not work, or I have to stand closer to the vehicle?

At times you may notice a decrease in range. This is normal for any remote keyless entry system. Take a few steps to the left or right, hold the transmitter higher, and try again. Battery replacement or resynchronization may be necessary. See your Owner's Manual for more information.

Where is my spare tire?

Your Solstice does not have a spare tire, but is equipped with a tire inflator kit instead. The tire inflator kit includes an air coompressor, a tire sealant canister, an accessory plug and an air pressure gauge, and is located at the back of the trunk on the driver's side. Refer to the tire inflator kit instructions for complete operating information.

Why do certain features on my vehicle continue to work up to 10 minutes after the ignition key is turned to OFF?

Your vehicle is equipped with a Retained Accessory Power (RAP) feature which will allow the radio and power windows to continue to work up to 10 minutes after the ignition is turned OFF and no doors have been opened.

Can I tow a trailer with my Solstice?

Your vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer.

Why is it sometimes difficult to shift out of PARK (P) when I am parked on a hill?

This is called "torque lock." To prevent torque lock, set the parking brake and then shift into PARK (P) properly before you leave the driver's seat. When you are ready to drive, move the shift lever out of PARK (P) before you release the parking brake. Check your Owner's Manual for more information.

I have children. Is there any device that can help prevent children from getting trapped in the trunk of my Solstice?

Yes, to help prevent a child from becoming trapped in your trunk, your Solstice is equipped with a glow-in-the-dark trunk release handle located in the trunk on the driver's side. This handle will glow following exposure to light. Pull the release handle and push the trunk lid open from the inside to open the trunk.

The interior lamps in my Solstice don't shut off immediately. Instead they stay on for a while and then fade. Is this normal?

Yes, that's the Entry/Exit Lighting feature on your Solstice. For exiting the vehicle at night, the interior lamps will illuminate for up to 20 seconds when you remove the key from the ignition. After 20 seconds have elapsed, the interior lamps will go out.

The lamps inside your vehicle will go on when you open any door. These lamps will fade out after about 20 seconds after all of the doors have been closed or when the ignition is turned to ON. These lamps will also go on when you press the trunk release, unlock symbol button or the horn symbol on the keyless entry system transmitter.

My remote keyless entry key fob was lost/stolen. What should I do?

Each remote keyless entry transmitter is uniquely coded to prevent another transmitter from unlocking your vehicle. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can be purchased through your dealer. Remember to bring any remaining transmitters with you when you go to your dealer so they can also be recoded to match the new transmitter. Once your dealer has coded the new transmitter, the lost transmitter cannot unlock the vehicle. Each vehicle can have a maximum of four transmitters matched to it.

Can I replace the battery in my keyless entry transmitter myself?

Yes you can. Your keyless entry system transmitter uses a type CR2032 battery, or equivalent type. There is a procedure in your Owner's Manual that describes the replacement of the battery.

What should I know about the PASS-Key III+ theft-deterrent system?

PASS-Key III+ is a passive theft-deterrent system. This means you do not have to do anything special to arm or disarm the system. It works when you insert or remove the key from the ignition.

When the PASS-Key III+ system senses that someone is using the wrong key, it prevents the vehicle from starting. Anyone using a trial-and-error method to start the vehicle will be discouraged because of the high number of electrical key codes.

How should I care for my convertible top?

The convertible top should be cleaned often. However, high pressure car washes may cause water to enter the vehicle. After washing and thoroughly rising the vehicle, let the top dry in direct sunlight. Using a chamois or cloth to dry the top may leave lint. Never store the top when it is wet or if there are already objects in the storage area. Also, do not operate the rear defogger when the top is stored.

What services are offered by OnStar?

OnStar offers a variety of safety and security services. These include:

* Advanced Automatic Collision Notification
* Automatic Notification of Air Bag Deployment
* Emergency Services
* Stolen Vehicle Tracking
* Roadside Assistance
* Remote Diagnostics
* Accident Assist
* Remote Door Unlock/Vehicle Alert
* Online Concierge

See your Owner's Manual for descriptions of these services.

Where can I find information about usingOnStar?

A complete OnStar user's guide and the terms and conditions of the OnStar Subscription Service Agreement are included in the vehicle's glove box literature. For more information, visit www.onstar.com or www.onstar.ca. Contact OnStar at 1-888-4-ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827), or press the OnStar button to speak to an OnStar advisor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Why do I hear a momentary motor or clicking noise when I start my engine and begin to drive away?

Your vehicle may have anti-lock brakes. ABS is an advanced electronic braking system that will prevent a braking skid. You may hear a momentary motor or clicking noise when you start your engine and begin to drive away. This is your anti-lock braking system checking itself and is normal.

How does THEFTLOCK discourage theft of my radio?

With THEFTLOCK activated, your radio will not operate if stolen. See your Owner's Manual for more information about activating THEFTLOCK.

How do I determine my vehicle's maintenance needs?

Maintenance intervals, checks, inspections and recommended fluids and lubricants as prescribed in your Vehicle's Owner's Manual are necessary to keep your vehicle in good working condition. Any damage caused by failure to follow recommended maintenance may not be covered by warranty.

When I have to add air to my tires, what should I use as reference for the recommended pressure?

Don't use the specification on the tire sidewall – that's for maximum loading. The Tire-Loading information label contains the necessary information and is attached to the vehicle's center pillar, below the driver's door latch. Please see your Owner's Manual for more information.

How often should I check the tire pressure?

Check the air pressure in your Solstice tires once a month or more.

My audio system seems to get louder and softer depending on how fast I am traveling. Is it working correctly?

Your system has a feature called Speed Compensated Volume (SCV). With SCV, your audio system adjusts automatically to make up for road and wind noise as you speed up or slow down while you drive. That way, the volume level should sound about the same as you drive. Refer to your Owner's Manual for information on setting the sound levels on this feature as well as for turning it on and off.

How often do I care for the CD player that is part of my audio system?

The use of a CD lens cleaner is not advised, due to the risk of contaminating the lens of the CD optics with lubricants.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.