Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah so this weekend I visted autozone. I purchased a 2.5" ninety, and 18" long 2.5" straight, and 4 2.5" u-bolts. I spent about 35 dollars. Once I got home I used a sawzaw and some pliers to cut the muffler out completely. I then replaced it with the parts from above, and wow....I'm in love.

This little motor sounds similar to those angry SRT-4's minus the turbo noise. hahaha. Yes, its loud, but that's what I wanted. I also noticed the motor is running about 6 degrees cooler now. It stays at about 194. As far as power gains? I'm not sure, but driving the car is SO much more thrilling now. It makes some righteous gurgling/backfire coming off the throttle and between shifts. Best $35 dollars ever spent. I'll try to get some pics and some video on this thread later for you guys.

For general knowledge, I run premium 93 octane and currently have no other performance mods. However, in a couple of days a CAI is being installed. I'll reset the ECM once I put that bad boy on.:cool:

·
Registered
204 Posts
wow dude, your my hero, lol.... I have been going back and forth on this and I think I just may do this like you did. Please throw up a video soon. I have been thinking of getting the solo exhaust but I am afraid it just won't be loud enough. Sometimes, I think this car is just to quiet. hmmmm.

How is it with the top up? Could you put the stock exhaust back on in you wanted to?

Also, will this mod hurt the engine in any way, will you loose any power?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
wow dude, your my hero, lol.... I have been going back and forth on this and I think I just may do this like you did. Please throw up a video soon. I have been thinking of getting the solo exhaust but I am afraid it just won't be loud enough. Sometimes, I think this car is just to quiet. hmmmm.

How is it with the top up? Could you put the stock exhaust back on in you wanted to?
I do have a video on my facebook! /JaredRobertMorgan if you have one. I forgot that I also bought 1 2.5" coupler. You'll need that too. And yes, That was my fear....I didnt wanna spend 600 for an exhaust that wasnt even aggressive sounding. With the top up you can hear the car well, but there is no resonating obnoxious "drone." Also, when maintaing RPMS to cruise its surprisngly quiet!! I'm beyond satisfied, personally. And to answer your last question I can absolutely put the stock muffler back. Just gotta go out and buy one more 2.5" exhaust coupler and reuse the one I already have as well as the four u-bolts. :thumbs:

And to answer your added question on hurting the engine, I did not notice any real gain or loss of power. It's really hard to say without a dyno test. It could be a placebo effect, but I felt like my throttle response was better. haha.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Damn Bro, you hang out with arnold schwarzenegger???!!!
Got on wifes facebook to take a listen. Sounds awesome! Wish you would have rev'ed it more.
I think i'm gona do this today!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn Bro, you hang out with arnold schwarzenegger???!!!
Got on wifes facebook to take a listen. Sounds awesome! Wish you would have rev'ed it more.
I think i'm gona do this today!
hahahaha! I do like me some fitness! :lol: I plan on making another video with more revs and some drive by's. I just havent had the time, but that clip definitely gives you the general idea of what you're in for.:cool:

·
Registered
204 Posts
For sure... thanks for the inspiration. I have to do this. I have been wanting to turn this thing into a beast, now is the time!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay so here's some pictures for you guys. This is before I strapped it all in place. I just had it mocked up with some twisted copper wire (ex-electrician rigging. LOL)....

This is the bad boy I removed. I couldn't believe how big it was. haha

This is the 90 bolted in and the straight (you will have to shorten the straight if you buy an 18" like I did.)

Here is where I coupled the straight piece with the OEM 90/Exhaust tip.

Hope this is helpful! Like I said, go back and strap it somehow to the original exhaust hangers. I strung the tin straps through the rubber insulators. Oh, and guys make sure to TIGHTEN those U-bolts. Dont want this stuff coming apart. Or, If you have the know-how...get that stuff welded. lol.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
If you really want to make it bark get rid of the stock cat and go with a high performance version plus you will pick up some horsepower.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I wonder what problems there might be in deleting the cat...?
That I'm aware of, it won't hurt anything. However, first it's illegal. ;) And you will get an awful raw gas smell from no cat.

I have no mufflers on mine, but I have a GXP. So the turbo quiets the exhaust quite a bit. I also get a lot of burbling and popping off the gas... I even get what would be similar to a backfire between gears if I'm on it really hard.... Your car can be made to do this by changing certain perameters in your tune.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
For sure... thanks for the inspiration. I have to do this. I have been wanting to turn this thing into a beast, now is the time!
The only way you're going to turn a 2.4L NA into a beast is with a power-adder.... A S/C or a turbo.... Otherwise your power gains will be minimum (3-7hp per mod)....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only way you're going to turn a 2.4L NA into a beast is with a power-adder.... A S/C or a turbo.... Otherwise your power gains will be minimum (3-7hp per mod)....
That's the impression I was under. I remember reading that the 2.4 is basically optimized from the factory and forced induction is the only option to get massive gains.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Nice work dude. if you get time you ought to post a sound clip. My NA sounded much better than my GXP but I wasn't ready (couldn't afford) to go Solo so I too did the next best thing.
At first I opened up the stock muffler to see if I could get it to flow better and thought about installing a T inside but there wasn't enough room so I closed it back up and cut a 2x3in U flap out of the bottom and it made a huge difference.
For anyone wanting to make theirs a little louder without taking it to the level you did, a 4in cutoff wheel, flathead screwdriver and pliers will get you there in about 90 seconds.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts