Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine has an NA that we can't figure what is wrong. His car suddenly started running rough. He has a DDM supercharger on it so we disconnected it, made no difference. We cleaned the mass air flow sensor and searched for any disconnects. Don't know what we did but it started running great, but next morning was back to bucking. This all started suddenly after he was at a car show, with hood up for hours, (in Florida!). We replaced the mass air flow sensor, no change. Car is located in The Villages, FL and would be nice if we could fine a knowledgeable local, to limp the car to. I doubt we could make it to Ocala or Orlando. Any Fl members on here with a local shop that's good. Dealerships will not touch the car because of all the mods. We may have to tow or transport the car to DDM in order to get it running. I just think it may be something easy or electrical issue created by heat and sun that a good mechanic could analyze and repair. Help us. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There appears to be a gas filter atop engine because of supercharger. We couldn't figure how to get it apart, in case it could be plugged! Does a plugged CAT act like that? Anyone have other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your right Dan: unfortunately I can't give that information out right now. The car has been in a storage location since last year and it was October when we tried getting it running I've forgotten what codes it sent. This weekend the mass air was replaced but made no difference so was left in the storage bin. I can't check it again until after Thursday. Someone said maybe Bill Hahn would look at it since he is up by Ocala, not certain it could be driven there. That's assuming he would work on a DDM modified car??

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Have you talked to Dave at DDM? It is their system and he knows it (and the Kappa in general) as well or better than anyone else.

He is going to want to know the codes, but my opinion is that you are wasting time trying to find a solution without them anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John: I agree and Dave has had contact many time over the past three years. Dave will check it out but so far my friend hasn't arranged to have it transported to him. This was the first automatic that Dave put a supercharger onto and has never shifted properly. Dave has perfected his installs in the last ten years and I'm sure will fix that problem if he gets the car. I'm just thinking the current rough running problem is not related to DDM and would be great to figure out so that car could be driven up to Dave. Will agree my friend is procrastinating. Car only driven one time in past three years, from MI. To FL. It ran very well to get here until the car show, when hood was up for hours. Heat!!!! ???

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
My thinking is that if you have the codes, and can describe the behavior, Dave can likely tell you where to look for a problem over the phone. Actually, with the codes you may be able to work it out on your own.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We did have the codes back in Oct but I can't remember what they were. We did follow up on those codes at the time. It has sat in the storage bin since then. I'll try to get codes again this Thursday when my friend is back.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
There appears to be a gas filter atop engine because of supercharger. We couldn't figure how to get it apart, in case it could be plugged! Does a plugged CAT act like that? Anyone have other suggestions?
A plugged CAT generally doesn't cause issues until the back pressure builds. At idle my 2.4 was fine. It was during acceleration, especially when you hit the power band, it started hiccupping.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Next question would be is can letting a modern car sit for long periods of time affect the BCM or ECM systems? I've always heard that letting a car sit for longs periods allows contaminants in gasoline to settle to the bottom of the gas tank and possible cause fuel pump issues. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Possible Dan: Car sat for two years in MI. Couple of us went to his house and started it. He then drove it to FL with no issues. Suddenly is stated running bad and has been in storage for over a year now. We did put sea foam in it and did as stated above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts