Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After approximately 1 month of searching, the closest sound clip that I have listened to for the GMPP exhaust was the GXP version. Those familiar with this exhaust (clip can be found here:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/exhaust-sound-clip-page-42548/ near the bottom of the list) does the NA version sound anything like this? If not is the GXP version compatible with the NA? This is the best sounding exhaust that I have heard for the Solstice and if the answer to either one of the above questions is "yes" I will be their next customer.

Also, if someone happens to have performance figures for this exhaust (have not come across any on this site or any other site offering this exhaust), posting them on this thread would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Can't answer your question directly, but in general, any given exhaust will sound much louder on and N/A than on a GXP, since there is no turbo to mute the sound.

I've heard first hand a GXP stock exhaust put on an N/A and it sounded REALLY good. Really rorty and snarly.

Definitely a cheap way to go is to find someone who's upgraded their GXP and beg or buy their old system from them. Quite a few turn up on the forums.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
After approximately 1 month of searching, the closest sound clip that I have listened to for the GMPP exhaust was the GXP version. Those familiar with this exhaust (clip can be found here:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/exhaust-sound-clip-page-42548/ near the bottom of the list) does the NA version sound anything like this? If not is the GXP version compatible with the NA? This is the best sounding exhaust that I have heard for the Solstice and if the answer to either one of the above questions is "yes" I will be their next customer.

Also, if someone happens to have performance figures for this exhaust (have not come across any on this site or any other site offering this exhaust), posting them on this thread would be appreciated as well.
EDIT: TS must have faster fingers than me today . . . :dthumbs:

Just a note, any exhaust that will fit a GXP will also bolt right up onto an NA.

If it needs modification to fit onto a GXP, it will need exactly the same modification to fit onto an NA.

However, the same exhaust will not sound the same on both cars. The turbocharger on a GXP acts as a partial muffler to soften the sound before the muffler gets to work on it. Therefore, an exhaust designed for the GXP will be louder on an NA than it is on the GXP.

Just a word of warning.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ozone- just had the gxp stock exhaust installed in my 09 NA coupe, you will like the sound better than your stock exhaust. I see that you have the Solo hi-flow cat, this will also make it sound a bit louder than a stock cat. The only thing I notice is that about 60 mph I have a little bit of a drone sound in fifth gear, maybe because it's the coupe. Also on my 06 NA I have a header, hi flow cat, single cat back exhaust, CAI, its a bit louder than I like. Thinking about changing out the muffler. I see that your located in Bay City, if you want to hear how both cars sound, let me know, I not to far from you (Saginaw).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ozone- just had the gxp stock exhaust installed in my 09 NA coupe, you will like the sound better than your stock exhaust. I see that you have the Solo hi-flow cat, this will also make it sound a bit louder than a stock cat. The only thing I notice is that about 60 mph I have a little bit of a drone sound in fifth gear, maybe because it's the coupe. Also on my 06 NA I have a header, hi flow cat, single cat back exhaust, CAI, its a bit louder than I like. Thinking about changing out the muffler. I see that your located in Bay City, if you want to hear how both cars sound, let me know, I not to far from you (Saginaw).
That would be great! BTW your coupe wouldn't happen to be silver would it? If it is I recall crossing paths a couple times a few years ago with a silver coupe.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I tried to buy a GMPP exhaust for my GXP last summer, and was told that they are out of stock and discontinued. Only the N/A is still available. I went Solo on my GXP, but I still have the stock exhaust. PM me if you are interested. I understand a GXP exhaust sounds better on an NA, and it is a direct bolt on other than swapping the valence panel.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ozone- my NA coupe is ruby red metallic, just bought it last fall. I will give you my phone # on your private post.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
After having the Solo cat-back performance system installed onto our 2.0 GXP (auto) I then had it installed onto our 2.4 (manual). To be frank it was due to all the positive remarks written by folks who had already done it. However, I cannot honestly say I noticed that much of a difference. Sure it's a little louder than the OEM 2.4 single exhaust but not dramatically (at least to my old ears).

So why didn't I just go w/a 2.4 Solo exhaust? To save money and to recycle the barely used 2.0 OEM exhaust. However, if we just owned the one Solstice w/the 2.4, I definitely would have went with Solo.

Looking back the biggest headache was trying to find a used dual valance (@ a reasonable price) because you need the dual exhaust valance for the OEM 2.0 dual exhaust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts