Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like an honest opinion. found some NACA style ducts that will fit perfectly where the fake duct and pontiac emblem are now located on the fender. Are they tacky? Do they look OK? give me some input please.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
They may be "real" ducts, but installing them in that area makes them just about as fake as the "fake" vent that is already there, since they will not function properly in that location.

The NACA (or submerged) duct is an intake device that works in an area of increasing pressure and smooth airflow. That area of the body is neither and the function you would want there is exhaust in any case. You would also (I presume) be installing them backwards if you are planning to match the arrangement of the existing "vent".

If you don't like the fakery, the "best" solution is to smooth the area over.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I have a set of unpainted Functional fenders from Norm's that I'll one day use. I have a silver "cool" Solstice, I'm no painter, but I understand why matching a metallic paint is very difficult. I've seen quite a few silver Sols out there with Norm's fenders that the paint looked (in my opinion) not matched very well. For this reason, I've SEVERAL times thought about cutting my own hole out and adding some mesh, then cleaning up the cut metal with something to make it look purdy, at least the paint would match!

I personally like what you found. It's not exactly what I'd want on my car, but I don't necessarily think it would look bad on a Sol.

Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do intend to put them in backward so that they would at least look functional as exhausts and, if I decide to do it, will probably paint them to match the car (mean yellow) to make them look less like add-ons. Just don't like the OEM look. What do you guys think? I forgot to mention that they are about 10" by 4". The same height and a little longer than what is there now.

·
Super Moderator
16,236 Posts
As a cosmetic device, they are good. I looked seriously at installing a pair in the hood before I decided to go with Norms GTO hood. John gave an excellent engineering answer and he is of course correct. They will not function as designed in that location. However from your statement they will be decorative and not functional. Go for it

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is hard to 'improve' a pretty flawless, design aesthetic as the Solstice. I have seen many 'add-ons' that just detract, regardless of intention. However if you are going to paint-match them then it would be less obtrusive and just might enhance the car. Less is more. eg: I have no regrets debadging (the lettering) on my Solstice.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, for all your input. I have decided to do nothing for now. I think being locked in the house just made want to do something, even something frivolous. Shaving the existing fake duct away would look better than just exchanging one fake duct for another. I appreciate all your input.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Definitely falls into the tacky category for me, but many people seem to like that look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts