Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the day at the NAIAS and got to see both the Solstice and the Sky. If you've never been for industry preview, you've missed an interesting experience. Teams of engineers/designers climbing over the competition's vehicles with clipboards, tape measures, and digital cameras. They're turning knobs, opening and shutting doors, playing with vents. etc. Guys lying on the floor taking photos of the vehicles from below. No detail of a vehicle goes unexamined.

Meanwhile back to the Solstice. Only significant news I got was that summer delivery is now definite -- may have been posted before. No on was allowed to get close to the car (black as you've probably seen--not a great color in my opinion). The demo person said that he had definite orders not to open the trunk or do anything with the top. There was really no information available outside of the definite summer release.

The Sky was also hands off. The Saturn guys mentioned a supercharged or turbocharged version sometime (a year or so) after the intro.

After seeing both vehicles, I'm undecided. Both look great. I'll post photos tomorrow (Friday) morning. I was going to get them up tonight, but Northwest was an hour late getting me back home, and I've got to crash.

Okie_Sol

·
Registered
183 Posts
BTW, last night I had a dream I opened the trunk and pulled the top out. Looked good in the dream. And no sadly I'm not kidding.:smile I wasn't going to mention it but it's kinda funny and weird at the same time. :sleep

·
Registered
533 Posts
mceb said:
Things are getting into the weird zone with the secret top and trunk. Going to have to let us see it soon :jester
Makes you wonder how good or bad it might be. In any case, the top is bound to be better than the old roadsters with side curtains and plastic rear windows.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I was thinking about this a little more. We are very sensistive about the top because we haven't seen it work yet (or the trunk). I'm sure we will get info from GM once the final specs are released (brochures, web sites) as well as car magazine reviews which will be extensive.

As far a car shows go a manual top is probably not something you want to feature and demostrate on any car anyway. I'm not sure there are many other manual top cars to compare to but just from a marketing prospective, you show off your positives. If it was a power top you'd have the rep push the button every 10 minutes at a show to get people to go oooooohhh and ahhhhh but a manual top has no flash.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It mainly gets me kind of worried about the top. If Summer delivery is definite, that means it goes into production within the next couple of months. If the top isn't done by then, that means we're going to have to wait till it is. Look at all the people who can't get Cobalt SS's because they're all having to be reworked for some reason.

Either that or GM just doesn't want to show it yet for some reason. Maybe they've invented transparent cloth so it's really like haivng a giant window. :D

Or we could all just be really impatient too. :D It just sucks because everyone gets to see the G6 roof go up and down all day long.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Maybe they have orders not to show the top because they're going to do something special during the Public days at the show???

·
Premium Member
10,364 Posts
Let's hope so, but I think like any good marketing people they are reading our post about how we dislike the small trunk, and a lot of people will then not buy etc. So I think there are a few engineers trying to figure out a solution to this problem. Boy I hope I am wrong and it is more of a new design invention....

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
I was thinking about this a little more. We are very sensistive about the top because we haven't seen it work yet (or the trunk). I'm sure we will get info from GM once the final specs are released (brochures, web sites) as well as car magazine reviews which will be extensive.

As far a car shows go a manual top is probably not something you want to feature and demostrate on any car anyway. I'm not sure there are many other manual top cars to compare to but just from a marketing prospective, you show off your positives. If it was a power top you'd have the rep push the button every 10 minutes at a show to get people to go oooooohhh and ahhhhh but a manual top has no flash.
:agree

If we don't find out soon, ours heads are going to collectively POP!!!

I had posted a similar thought in another thread, that is:
a manual top and small trunk are the VERY LAST THING you would promote on a car. Look at any comparable car's ads or brochures (vette/miata), they never boast "look at that small trunk" or "the trunk hides away nicely after only 2 minutes". This is the last thing they want the general public thinking about, that's why they show it top down, get's you dreamin'!!!!!!!! They'll never promote the top or trunk, the car mags will likely be our first look, that or our first dealer visit.

Well, never is a strong word, but you get my point!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
There is no way there are design changes going on this late in production... simply can't be done to increase the trunk space or make changes to the top or way it operates. GM wouldn't do something like that this late in the game on a current platform and model, let alone on the 1st car of a new platform... too much risk to take on something big.

I'm sure it has something to do with "promote" the positive. The reps this week wouldn't answer any questions on the trunk or the roof, no matter how many times it was asked or how many different people were asked. I'm not holding out hope for anything different when I go back on Wednesday during the public showing either... but at least I'll get more time to look at the car then.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Pics from NAIAS

Not the best, but seeing as we had to make it around to every car in one day, I didn't get the luxury of standing around taking the best shots... plus I had to limit shots on every car as we only had so much memory for the camera. Industry preview days are work... all those people all over every car taking pictures and measurements... crazy site.

I tried to keep them as high of resolution as possible, but there is a limit to uploading on here. If you look at pic 489 you can barely see the little "arms" on the a pilar, and in 491 the angle shot they seem to disappear. To me this is a reduction from what we have seen in the past, however I never saw the "previous" arms in person before to compare to first hand. There's been a lot of talk about this, and I don't think it's distracting at all, and looks much better than previous pictures I've seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
mceb said:
Mike; GM has determined to make the top an issue as a result of their policy of not showing or allowing the Sky / Solstice to be seen only in a top down configuration. I have to believe they have painted a bullseye on these cars for the automotive media when they get their hands on it. This single issue has made me uneasy about the platform. If there is a problem, maybe they will work it out, but it needs to be soon. The press would feast on a convertible with a difficult top.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If there was really a problem with the top, I doubt they would have moved up their intro date from fall to the beginning of June. Why not play it safe?

My guess is that they are trying to avoid negative marketing.

Lets look at what we think we know.

The top will not be a 5 second unlatch and flip down. Most likely, it will require manually opening the AFBTRS's (or whatever Solsticeman's acronym is for the buttresses), folding them in, opening the clamshell trunk, collapsing the top into it, and closing the trunk.

Thats a lot of work for a roadster when you can just toss the top back without leaving the car in the competition's roadsters. Once the automotive press gets a hold of the information, they will beat GM over the head with it. I can see it now, poor design, under-engineering, typical GM cost cutting, etc etc. They are not kind to GM.

So, if this is the procedure, I can see why GM would want to put off any potential bad press as long as possible. Hence the reason we haven't seen it yet!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fformula88 said:
If there was really a problem with the top, I doubt they would have moved up their intro date from fall to the beginning of June. Why not play it safe?

My guess is that they are trying to avoid negative marketing.

Lets look at what we think we know.

The top will not be a 5 second unlatch and flip down. Most likely, it will require manually opening the AFBTRS's (or whatever Solsticeman's acronym is for the buttresses), folding them in, opening the clamshell trunk, collapsing the top into it, and closing the trunk.

Thats a lot of work for a roadster when you can just toss the top back without leaving the car in the competition's roadsters. Once the automotive press gets a hold of the information, they will beat GM over the head with it. I can see it now, poor design, under-engineering, typical GM cost cutting, etc etc. They are not kind to GM.

So, if this is the procedure, I can see why GM would want to put off any potential bad press as long as possible. Hence the reason we haven't seen it yet!
Amen. You hit the nail on the head. I suspect GM will take a beating on this. Too bad because the rest of the car is great! But and bulky top and impractical storage space are in fact two big strikes against the car.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Kbene said:
Amen. You hit the nail on the head. I suspect GM will take a beating on this. Too bad because the rest of the car is great! But and bulky top and impractical storage space are in fact two big strikes against the car.
They are two big strikes against it, and the press will definately beat them over the head. It certainly will turn off some potential buyers. GM must know this too, and still figures they will find enough buyers. I hope they are right, as I want to see this platform succeed.

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Add to that bad press the hassle to get into the trunk with the top up, they WILL get hamered by the press. And I really don't suspect there are any surpirses in the first year that will resolve this. Maybe we're looking at another Fiero in that by the time they address these problems, it will be too late.

Think about it, a good percentage of this forum is already taking aim at these flaws, and we're the enthusiasts, not going to be pretty! We had hoped for positive resolutions to the problems when they were speculative issues, but it's not looking good. I understand those of you that are still holding out hope, but...........

Fortunately for some on this forum, this is a good thing, the car won't be tht popular, making it even more unique, a popular thing for the enthusiast on this forum. But it won't feel good when it takes a beating in the car mags :rolleyes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts