Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted about this on the Facebook page a few months ago but thought we should have it here because this is THE PLACE for everything Solstice.

There is going to be a nightly outdoor movie on the roof in Colorado for 2018. I like the idea of having all car movies. I've been putting a lot of thought into car movie suggestions and came up with a few suggestions. Take 'em or leave 'em, add to them as you wish!

Movies with a Solstice connection:
-Transformers (2007)
-Fast & Furious (2009)
-Hit and Run (2012)
-WarGames (2008)

Oldies:
-Viva Las Vegas (1964) Vegas, race cars, Elvis and Ann Margret, baby!
-Spinout (1966) More Elvis and race cars
-Bullitt (1968) Best car chase ever!
-Diamonds are Forever (1971) Second best car chase ever!

Obscure:
-Highway to Hell (1991) Campy, B-movie, rock & roll soundtrack!
-The Wraith (1986) Charlie Sheen and a demon-possessed concept car from hell.

Others have suggested:
Mad Max
Easy rider
Back to the Future
Gumball Rally
Driving Miss Daisy
Talledega Nights
Cannonball Run
Smokey and the Bandit
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (I've been wanting to see this for a while!)
The Great Race
Christine
LeMans
24 Hour War
Gone in 60 Seconds (Original from the 70's or the remake)

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe once this list is fleshed out we can make it a poll... top five vote-getting movies win!

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's worth noting, the Elvis movies feature lots of convertible sports cars with humps in the back!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Quintin Tarantino Grindhouse/Death Proof, a homage to 60/70s Drive-In theater B exploitation movies, starring Kurt Russel. It also includes a 2nd story, directed by Robert Rodriguez called Planet Terror, again a homage to bad b exploitation movies. Neither film is for the timid or squimish type individual.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
So many car centric movies are mindless (referring to those they appeal to). Could probably keep those types in their seats of you put on 8 hours of non-stop burn-outs.

Go for something that offers some intellectual stimulation. Of the ones listed, Le Mans is excellent (sort of the antithesis to things like Gumball Rally etc.) as is another one that hasn't hit the list that offers very good car footage is Ronin with De Niro. Others that don't bore are The Italian Job (original version), Vanishing Point, Rush, Two Lane Blacktop, and Grand Prix.

If I see any Smokey and the Bandit or Dukes of Hazzard, I'll be back in the room or looking at cars in the parking lot! :wink:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
... another one that hasn't hit the list that offers very good car footage is Ronin with De Niro. Others that don't bore are The Italian Job (original version), Vanishing Point, Rush, Two Lane Blacktop, and Grand Prix.

If I see any Smokey and the Bandit or Dukes of Hazzard, I'll be back in the room or looking at cars in the parking lot! :wink:
This is the kind of input I'm looking for. All good suggestions.

I agree about Dukes of Hazzard but have to support Smokey and the Bandit due to Pontiac content. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
No, why? You have different taste I take it?
Not a big thing but most people share movies they like, which you did, but then you went on to list movies you feel are not worth your time

I personally find smoke and the bandit good clean fun. It has several classic comedy scenes in it.

In the end I think we will ask people to vote and show what they want.

How about Christine? Chitty chitty Bang Bang? Mr Mercedes?

Or Vanishing Point?

Gone in Sixty Seconds?

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about Christine? Chitty chitty Bang Bang? Mr Mercedes?

Or Vanishing Point?

Gone in Sixty Seconds?
All but Mr. Mercedes and Vanishing Point are already on my list above. I'll compile a complete list of all suggestions when voting time comes.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quintin Tarantino Grindhouse/Death Proof, a homage to 60/70s Drive-In theater B exploitation movies, starring Kurt Russel. It also includes a 2nd story, directed by Robert Rodriguez called Planet Terror, again a homage to bad b exploitation movies. Neither film is for the timid or squimish type individual.
I like Tarantino. Will there be kids at these movies? I assume your warning probably means not kid appropriate.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I like Tarantino. Will there be kids at these movies? I assume your warning probably means not kid appropriate.
Rated R (for strong graphic bloody violence and gore, pervasive language, some sexuality, nudity and drug use)

Rotten Tomatoes TOMATOMETER 65% AUDIENCE SCORE 72% liked it

In Death Proof -- director Tarantino's take on such peddle-to-the-metal shockers as White Line Fever -- Kurt Russell stars as an engine-revving psychopath who prefers to take out his beautiful victims at 200 mph. Originally released into theaters on a double bill with Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror under the Grindhouse banner, Death Proof finds a group of ladies out on the town pitted against a mysterious figured named Stuntman Mike (Russell), whose vintage automobile has been partially modified to withstand even the most extreme auto collision. Though the maniacal driver himself always comes out relatively unscathed, the same certainly can't be said for the poor young lass in his passenger seat -- or anyone unfortunate enough to be on the road when the urge to kill strikes for that matter. With a list of potential road-kill candidates that includes Rose McGowan, Jordan Ladd, Rosario Dawson, and Vanessa Ferlito, Death Proof takes viewers on an adrenaline-infused drive that's as sexy as it is shocking. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We need more suggestions. We may divide the movies by genre and put these up for a vote in the new year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts