Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One week after opening Registration we are please to announce
that the Corning Raddison has 63/130 rooms booked for our event...THAT'S NEARLY 50% OF OUR ALLOTMENT

do not delay...otherwise you'll be staying down the road in the Super 8 ghetto !!!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,195 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
ATTN ALL KAPPAS

RADISSON has booked 90 of our allotted rooms (comps not included) out of about 125 rooms

IF YOU ARE NOT BOOKED AND REGISTERED I SUGGEST YOU DO IT SOON,

once the Radisson is full we will be forced to send you down the street to suitable substitutes
(not Super 8, I hope)

I guarantee that we will be sold out in 2018 and come springtime a lot of you undecideds are going
to end up away from the action

Act now or be forewarned !

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
The hotel has a 24 hour cancellation policy so if you book now and something happens that you CAN'T go, you can cancel up to 24 hours before the event. Why wouldn't you book now?

·
Registered
227 Posts
just made hotel reservations. Any idea when event schedule will be on web site? Would like to know what is planed. Car show, runs, trip to Watkins Glen?

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
Speaking as a mere participant of this event but one who has hosted one, I would not look for anything detailed prior to the first of the year, and maybe not until February.

What you can count on is runs on the 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, and 15th, and and I expect that, like most previous events, the same ones will be available each day so that you can get in a different one each day if you want to drive that much.

The trip to Watkins Glen Raceway (There is also a Watkins Glen State Park that is a possible run destination.) is not likely to be the 14th or the 15th because weekends are almost always booked well in advance and even the open times are quite busy.

The banquet has been announced for Friday so, if 2017 is any indication, Saturday will be a very light day as many people will be headed home, and others will be in no shape to drive.

A comment on the 24-hour cancellation: Certainly it is good to have available if something comes up at the last minute, but the reservation block is certain to fill up and if you do cancel at the last minute you may keep someone from being able to get a room. The block normally closes 30 days before the start date, so if at all possible you should cancel sooner than that so that someone else can pick up the room.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
John, that is a great comment on the cancelation. I also booked a room for the event hoping that I can make this trip work in June. If not I will defiantly cancel well ahead of the 30 days.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
SAME ISSUE EVERY YEAR

People reserve a room because there is no charge to do so...so it's no money out of their pocket

People DO NOT REGISTER in advance because it is money out of their pocket right now ($150 or more [shirts] )

Even though your money will be refunded if you cancel 30 days before the event

SAME ISSUE....EVERY YEAR

yet without registration payments the Operating Committee (OC) may run out of funds (Watkins Glen ???)
and we want this to be the best event possible.

Kappas...consider Registration as a pledge drive

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
R U N S

unlike previous years Corning will NOT have a "structured" run schedule

There will be several runs to choose from, BUT
all runs will be loaded Garmin-friendly for you to download...,and ALL RUNS WILL BE POSTED SOON !!!

what this means is that you can still sign in to a structured run lead by a designated Road Captain (RC)
or you can download the run into your Garmin and freelance with other friends (making your own RC and Sweep)

this means you can basically leave at your own time (not a pre-assigned time ...like 8am) and return at your own time
Bio breaks and rest areas will be tagged into the run downloads

Therefore there is no RUSH to see what the runs are...and sign up (you can do any run on any day Freelance)

Questions will be answered if there is still confusion !!!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Oh no plans on cancelling here, no way no how. The only way I would bow out is if either I or my wife (Who recently had a stroke) had a health issue of some sort. Really looking forward to seeing everyone in Corning.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
a Kappa owner asks.....

Hi. We’ve registered for NASSAM 2019! But, we need to know if there’s an itinerary of events as we probably can’t stay the entire week. Any info would be great, so we can book the hotel room accordingly. Thanks

THE OC has replied.

Michael Druidz Tew
Our website is constantly adding new information...please be patient

Salvador Blumenkron If anything I would suggest to plan to be able to attend the dinner Gala. Which is usually held on the last night of the event. We are fine tuning the logistics and we will post more info as it becomes available, thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
A Garmin maps question:
Does anyone know if there is a current iPhone app which will use Garmin files to navigate. I ask here because we're planning to go to NASSAM 2019 and want to use the Garmin map files w/o buying a Garmin GPS. I searched here and have found nothing on Garmin w/ iPhone - and Garmin's site used to sell iPhone USA ($50) but it's no longer available - and all the Garmin apps (both at the Garmin site AND at the iPhone App Store) require (pair w/) a Garmin device (GPS or watch).

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
There is, or at least used to be, an app called GPXNavigator that would let you import and follow GPX files.
I don't have an iPhone and do have a Garmin so I have no experience with it but it may be worth looking for.

GPX viewer apps seem fairly plentiful but they will only allow you to look at the map and in some cases see your location on it.
I assume that printed turn-by-turn directions will be available along with the data files at least I hope that they will be.

I do not know how it went in Colorado, but we had a lot of trouble with routing when the files were loaded into Garmins with different software revisions.
Some of our routes got pretty "creative", and the leaders had their work cut out for them.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
S P E C I A L .... A N N O U N C E M E N T **************

of the 130 rooms we have allocated to us....111/130 are already booked

leaving only 19 rooms left before you will have to book at another (farther away) site

DO NOT DELAY....CARPE DIEM !!!

you have been advised/warned 6 months in advance

·
Registered
325 Posts
Make it 18, I just reserved a room & registered.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Any chance that the Radisson will add rooms to the block?

:dunno:

already on it...no answer yet, but we are planning overflow to othere hotels already

21 - 40 of 69 Posts