Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
This is great. Count me and the wife in.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Northern Sol i bet you can't believe its that close to home ha. Must be a good group coming down from Ontario i bet.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one may be doable for me, too.

It's the closest to Ontario of any of them so far, maybe, but I haven't looked at a map yet.

:yay:

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
We drove past Corning last week in the Roadster on our way back from Washington DC. It is a great location. I am sure lots of Ontarians will attend. Wife is thrilled as we will add Lake Placid to the trip so she can figure skate.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's over an 11 hour drive for me. At 78 years old, that's a bit much. Oh well, maybe 2021 if there is one and I'm still around.

·
Registered
419 Posts
34hr 4min 2,304mi - 4608mi rt or 7.68 days of travel @ 600 mi/day - Corning, NY
13hr 27min 813 mi - 1626mi rt or 2.71 days of travel @ 600 mi/day - Black Hawk, CO

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Mine is another 5 hours on both them each way.

Will make Black Hawk for sure, hell it is Colorado, any excuse will do. New York is just to far, but would love to go.

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
That's over an 11 hour drive for me. At 78 years old, that's a bit much. Oh well, maybe 2021 if there is one and I'm still around.
We have several attendees at Denver this year who are flying in and renting a car. A lot of the activity happens at the hotel with all the events going on day and evening. And there are always lots of empty seats on cars that you can do a ride along. Give it some serious thought.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Count me in! We were in that area with the US Camaro club 20 years ago and had a great time. Have talked about going back since. Should be fun!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
2600 miles 41.3 hrs for me one way. If i can go i can visit my old mates in the U.P. in Mich. & visit my sister in Whitby Ontario.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Only about 1.5 hr drive we will be there for sure

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
(also posted on Skyroadster)

As Dave O'Connor will testify.....

the demographics for Kappa ownership is not evenly split at the Mississippi river.

There are clusters at most major cities

Without starting a firestorm......the larger urban areas are on the west Coast...the Eastern Seaboard
and the Great Lakes. Surprisingly the eastern Gulf states do not appear to have a large contingent.

When I took upon the quest for 2019 I wanted to make sure we included the Canadians too.
I looked at Lake George first, but it is overwhelming crowded and expensive in the summer.

Corning/Binghamton had a lot to offer.

Demographically speaking most KO's (Kappa owners) will drive one long day to get the a National Event.
Based on that we concluded that Eastern Canada (Ont Quebec and the Maritimes ) would be well represented,
as would New England. In spite of MM we also believed we would attract people from the Carolinas, VA, MD, PA, OHIO
Mich. NY NJ KY etc,. Based on that we had to choose a hotel that would support 150 KO's and btw the reason we moved
the date up a week is because a glaziers convention had already booked our week ahead of us in FEB 2018 !!! for June 2019

People who whine that Wisc. or the UP would be great fail to realize 2 things 1) finding hotels and convention centers
able to handle 150 cars is difficult at best...2) summer vacation travel raises costs and huge traffic jams create
KO route headaches. Hotels in vacation spots jack up prices exponentially and we needed to keep the nightly rate BELOW $150.00

I've heard people say ...what about Idaho, Montana Santa Fe or Vermont. Well the big thing is...the roads may be great but
who are the local KO's to organize it.....Right...there aren't any

Before you go criticizing the location ask yourself this.....Have I ever volunteered as an organizer? What support have I personally given to a NASSAM? It takes a HUGE amount of work to make this a success. Fully 75% of our Operating Committee are people
who have already run a NASSAM.....yes ...seasoned veterans who know what it takes and what you have to give. It is hard to recruit new talent. People love to attend, but few will step up.

Be happy there is a 2019 and a 2020....let's see who steps up for 2021 !!!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Very interested. The Finger Lakes part of our New England road trip was prolly my favorite area. 23 hrs is very doable. Thanks for stringing this together y'all.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
[SNIP]
I've heard people say ...what about Idaho, Montana Santa Fe or Vermont. Well the big thing is...the roads may be great but
who are the local KO's to organize it.....Right...there aren't any
[SNIP]
I'd love to have one here in Taos or Santa Fe, but as you say.... I'm pretty much down here all by myself.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts