Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,949 Posts
For 2017 we had a facebook presence along with a webpage and the forums. We had exactly zero facebook signups that didn't go somewhere else first.

What we did get from facebook was a lot of noise, mainly people who wanted to join the group but had no means or intention of attending the meet.

·
Super Moderator
15,964 Posts
Interesting

Not our experience. But I suspect that both the forums and FB is maturing and undergoing changes.

Clearly FB is a great way to reach out to a lot of people in real time and create a dialog. But all the info there is non-persistent, here today, gone tomorrow. The forums are a great source though after a few years the data gets harder to dig out here too.

Our principal NASSAM 2018 thread here had 310 replies, the majority of which were information posted by our team. FB had ~9,000 replies in basically the same period.

The FB page has ~400 members
This forum currently shows 22 active members.

I LOVE this forum. I put up with the Sky forum. I use kappa performance. I don't love FB but it does serve a useful purpose.

·
Super Moderator
5,949 Posts
Data breaches, for one.

On a purely car-related vein, I think it is a bad idea to encourage, enable, or assist in the movement of conversation away from these forums that are acknowledged as the only searchable repository of car information. Keeping the communication here makes it more likely that the forums will continue, and makes it less likely that information that could be valuable later will be posted on a volatile media.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Being somewhat luke warm on FB, I do really like being able to identify people by name. FB does that and often has their photo. With those two pieces of information, I can identify and remember people. The forum does not do either, especially the real name.

Another deficiency of the forum is the individual communication. I DO NOT care for the PM communication of the forum. I have learned email/folders/all email aspects that provide one source history of all communications of any kind. Attempting to see if a second system would provide all of those benefits is just too much duplication and repetition. No thank you. Some forum members may recall being asked to share an email address, but chose not to and that's OK. That has lessened communication, if not eliminated it. And sharing your email address only means you will hear if the issue involves you,.....no crap list stuff will ever come your way. (I think I got off the subject, LOL)

I met many nice people at NASSAM2018, but things were happening so fast without taking notes the information of WHO was pretty much lost. Although once being on FB, with security issues of late, I had closed my FB account. Can't remember the details of how it happened, but yesterday pursuing forum posts, I ended up getting onto FB and viewing NASSAM2018 photos and experiences of Grant and Helen going back to Calgary. Without FB, I wouldn't know their names and hometown today. The point: I can remember them now.

I rest my case. (that's for you Sooner, Chris Brinkley, :lol:)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think we have talked about Face Book enough. Can we get back to information about the 2019 event Hope more information will be given soon such as hotel and costs

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I think we have talked about Face Book enough. Can we get back to information about the 2019 event Hope more information will be given soon such as hotel and costs
The hotel will be the Radisson in Corning, costs are still being worked on, as is almost everything related to the meeting. The web site isn't ready to go yet, etc., etc.

Whenever anything gets finalized, it'll get posted here or in another thread under the National Events header.

So check back here every so often, I won't be the only one posting, everyone working on NASSAM 2019 is a member of this forum, and has been involved in other past NASSAMs.

:dthumbs:

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Solstice?

NASSAM 2019 will be located in Corning, New York, in the Finger Lakes region, June 11 - 15, 2019
What part of Solstice did the organizers not understand?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Request to moderators

Can you make a permanent post at the top of this topic that contains the date, location, hotel, registration info, etc.?

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
go to the official thread for that information

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
41 - 60 of 65 Posts