Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that NASSAM 2017 is over it is time to put serious thought and action into 2019. I will speak from recent experience and say that one year is not enough time to effectively plan this event, so now is the time for a decision to be made.

There are rumors about interest in Georgia and in the Adirondacks. Are those serious considerations, and is anyone else interested in hosting 2019?

Let me stir the pot a little with this: I am putting preliminary plans in motion to repeat in Lexington, so if someone doesn't step up you're going to be stuck with us again!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,200 Posts
Now that NASSAM 2017 is over it is time to put serious thought and action into 2019. I will speak from recent experience and say that one year is not enough time to effectively plan this event, so now is the time for a decision to be made.

There are rumors about interest in Georgia and in the Adirondacks. Are those serious considerations, and is anyone else interested in hosting 2019?

Let me stir the pot a little with this: I am putting preliminary plans in motion to repeat in Lexington, so if someone doesn't step up you're going to be stuck with us again!
I left my comments in your post on SkyRoadster. I agree.

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
You and everyone who contributed did a great job! The runs were great. There is certainly much more to see and enjoy in KY. The dinner was super, the BBQ was good and the hotel arrangements were good. It was pretty relaxed for the attendees and everyone seemed to be enjoying their time. I appreciate that you stepped up and would look forward to returning to KY. I'll PM you with thoughts for another KY NASSAM. Thanks for all of your efforts!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I'm there! Let me know when registration opens.
Great job in 2017, BTW.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Hiawassee, Georgia...nice little town and access to mountain driving and sights to see in surrounding towns. Near Brasstown Bald, highest point in Georgia. On Lake chatuge.

Street Rodders, motorcycle groups, etc use this location frequently. I hope to attend an MG GOF event in Dillard, about 40 miles from Hiawassee, in September.

If I had my way, I would relocate to Hiawassee in a heartbeat, but Momma says no...

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts

Thank you to you and your team for 2017. I could only be there for two nights as we are moving ( in the middle of it as I type this). Great. Event and great job!:thumbs::thumbs:

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I thought it would be cool if it rotated on a three year cycle... west coast, central US, east coast, repeat. East was this year, central is next, seems west should be 2019.

·
Administrator
9,154 Posts
I thought it would be cool if it rotated on a three year cycle... west coast, central US, east coast, repeat. East was this year, central is next, seems west should be 2019.
That was the goal a few years ago but now it ends up wherever those who are willing to undertake the organization.

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MomsSol said it, the event is hosted by someone willing, and that person's (or group of persons') location determines where it will be. It has generally gone more-or-less East-to-West, but that isn't a rule.

Were you volunteering?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I seem to remember from previous threads that there were too many issues for vendors with the border, but I would have liked to see something in Canada.

·
Administrator
9,154 Posts
I seem to remember from previous threads that there were too many issues for vendors with the border, but I would have liked to see something in Canada.
IIRC it has to do with getting tools and products into Canada.
I too would have liked for Canada to host a national meet .... that's why the meet was named North America Solstice Sky Meet (since changed to NASSAM)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Eh! Canada! Just food for thought .. what a bout Niagara Falls, Canada / Buffalo, NY option .. Can you imagine 100 cars hit the boarder for a quick trip along the Niagara River?

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Suggestions for locations are nice, but are fairly worthless unless they come from someone actually interested in organizing the event there.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Maybe if we poke sticks at the members from California, Nevada and Oregon long enough, one of them will step forward and volunteer!

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Hiawassee, Georgia...nice little town and access to mountain driving and sights to see in surrounding towns. Near Brasstown Bald, highest point in Georgia. On Lake chatuge.

Street Rodders, motorcycle groups, etc use this location frequently. I hope to attend an MG GOF event in Dillard, about 40 miles from Hiawassee, in September.

If I had my way, I would relocate to Hiawassee in a heartbeat, but Momma says no...
Q1....Hotels to handle 150+ cars???????????
Q2....who maps the runs?
Q3....banquet facilities and catering to handle 250+ people
Q4...do your roads go thru towns or just stay in the wilds
Q5...Bio-break locations

People always push their location until it's time to step up. You should hear the requests...Idaho (who has cars there for mapping)
Vermont (in the tourist season? gimme a break !!!) THE UP (see Idaho...remember tourists)...or W Va (great roads...one town)

A national event (we did 2010..203 cars) needs to be located CLOSE TO (but not in) a large city...have a series of hotels avbl
as well as tourist attractions close by and needs MANY people to organize. We had people coming from 3 hrs away just to map and RC...!!
John Shurr drove 300 miles from Seattle to help in Portland...and Sooner drove long stretches to do Ozarks. same with Glenn Nicodemus...Solli and Dengel .....and many more

This is not a rant...but an admonishment to people who love "their little niche of America"

Don't suggest if you are not prepared to VOLUNTEER countless hours of YOUR OWN TIME

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
DENVER IS 2018...that's WEST

1 - 20 of 104 Posts