Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I am talking about the West Coast Kappa Club. I talked to a couple of the members a couple years ago about it, but they were concerned about getting enough people involved. My suggestion was PCH, San Luis Obispo, or north of SFO; they toyed with the idea of Tahoe. But nothing ever came of it. I still think all those areas would be fun.

Boots on the ground is always important to making an event work. However, modern technology makes a lot of it easier to do online. Although roofer and I both made several trips to Arkansas (to look at facilities and verify run routes), we did the overwhelming majority from Kansas City and West Virginia / Oklahoma. Our committee was working on things from Texas, Ontario, Ohio, and New York.

Sooner, are you talking about the central/northern California group. We don't see much from them down here. As for the San Diego group, active for dinners and short drives, but not terribly organized on runs. I really do not think that group could put on a National level event, without a tremendous amount of help from past organizers. The two groups are close to 600 miles apart so it would be hard to work together on this.

Not to mention that Highway 1 north of LA to San Francisco is basically closed, and no opening date is planned for it. So coast events would need to be between San Diego and LA, maybe up to Oxnard. Or north of San Fran. I know as it screwed up our plans for vacation in September. The sad part is they really do not know if they can fix it the last I heard.

We attended the Classic Opel National in Monterey a couple of years ago. Beautiful area and some roads to drive, but dealing with SFran traffic was not fun. Freeways were terrible.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,195 Posts
For the cost of hotels, gas etc to attend a National meet, surely a passport is not a big expense?

Actually, how much is a US passport?
Between $110 to $195 depending on whether it is a new passport, renewal passport, expedited service, etc., and it's a pain in the butt procedure.

Note, that's my opinion, don't know if it is shared by others.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
And that has sort of always been the thinking...no matter where you have it, its going to be a long ways away for some people, so move it around and everyone gets a chance. Someone on the Sky side mentioned Ontario being 2000 miles from south Texas, but there have been several NASSAMs much closer - Kansas City, Nashville, Denver, Austin, Flagstaff, Arkansas, and back to Colorado. As a prime example, there are two great regional clubs in Portland and Seattle, but with the exception of 2015 (and a handful of attendees at 2014 and 2016) those folks are rarely seen at the other NASSAMs - it was nice that they had 2015 in their backyard.

Once of the other nice things about Ontario is that it is the North American meet and has been from day one, but this would be the first NASSAM held outside the US (although not by far LOL).

All that being said, I appreciate John being willing to do it again if need be, just to make sure it keeps going.

I have a passport already. I doubt that will stop most people. What would stop me is the distance.
2,282 miles one way. A week of driving and 2,282 home. Just does not even sound fun. lol. Will not be making that one for sure.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I had to get a new passport last year (because Oklahoma is way behind on RealID act compliance and I was going to need it to get into the federal courthouses). Head shots at FedEx, fill out the form, and mail it in with a copy of your birth certificate and a check. I had passport in hand in less than a month.

Between $110 to $195 depending on whether it is a new passport, renewal passport, expedited service, etc., and it's a pain in the butt procedure.

Note, that's my opinion, don't know if it is shared by others.

:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Smaller towns are easier places to get passports. Lexington isn't particularly big, but Versailles is smaller, and getting mine there (down the road from work) was absolutely painless, pictures and all. Be very careful about who does your pictures, by the way. There are very specific rules about how they have to be taken for a passport, and everyplace that does ID photos is not equal.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I went to the post office and got the pictures, did the express deal and had mine in about a week. 195.00 sounds about right Dave. We were headed to Canada in June, but decided to put it off until September. So wasted some money, but have it done.

I will talk with the Opel guys I met at their National. They did it north of SFran. My run is coming up in October so will be talking with the SoCal group in the next couple of weeks. I could see a West Coast Regional in late April or early May or one in October. Robo and I have talked about it before and have several friends that would help I am sure. Robo's Chase the Sun and my Palm Springs events are by far the most organized of any I have seen here.

I think if we could get the overall numbers up to 500 cars attending Nationwide you could get a sponsor/charity to sign on. 100 to 150 does not indicate much of a National to most that would be investing money and time into it. Getting it seen is what is important to them

Sooner/John did either of you approach the local news about the events in your areas. Would think that it would be a positive story they might want to cover in small town USA

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Sooner/John did either of you approach the local news about the events in your areas. Would think that it would be a positive story they might want to cover in small town USA
I did, through several markets, focusing on something unique to that area - Springdale talking about the event generally and the local sponsors; Little Rock focusing on our charitable work and AAROC (which is in Little Rock); Tulsa and Oklahoma City focusing on Oklahomans who have been involved in NASSAM. Unfortunately, no one picked it up. But part of that was my fault because I went primarily through the e-mail contacts on the media outlet websites rather than calling people in the media (media was way down my priority list). The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette did send a photographer out the day we presented the initial $20,000 check to AAROC to do an out-and-about pictorial item, but there was no story that went with it.

However, I know newspapers have turned out to cover NASSAM in other years.

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
The passport book fee is $110 + $25 execution + postage for a typical total of under $150. Expediting is $60 extra. Renewals do not require the $25 execution fee but you have to pay extra postage if you want the old one back. You can get a book and a card (good for domestic uses only) for another $30.

I think that building up Regionals wherever possible is an excellent approach, and I encourage it everywhere.

How concerned do we really have to be about charities and sponsors?

The charity was easy for us as it was local, well respected, and fit into our event theme. They didn't care how many people we had coming, and were pleased with the contribution that we gave them. I don't have much interest in trying to support any of the major charities as they tend to be bloated top-heavy organizations that spend too much of our money on themselves.

What is the goal of having an event sponsor? Ours was to be able to give the charity more money. The other reasons I can think of would be to reduce or eliminate the registration fee, and to pay the organizers.

We did not approach the media. We didn't have a general-admission event, so I didn't see much point. The best local advertising seems to be to get several cars together someplace public and wait to get noticed. We had several of drive-ups at the NASSAM, and one last weekend when we had five cars at the local drive-in having a late lunch.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
John is correct about charities and sponsors. You can find a good local charity to work with, without too much trouble. The vendor relationship is symbiotic - attendees provide a market, vendors provide some supporting capital and another reason for attendees to show up. While we have a couple of very loyal vendors (DDM and Windrestrictor sit at the top of the list), there are other vendors who have shown up occasionally. And there are Canadian vendors - Westers and Solo were both sponsors in Arkansas. And local vendors are fantastic to work with.

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
If they sell product they will show up.

It's a cost benefit thing
When we have 150 cars showing up at a National there are not a lot of sales opportunities. Have 500 show up and the venders will make time

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
If they sell product they will show up.

It's a cost benefit thing
When we have 150 cars showing up at a National there are not a lot of sales opportunities. Have 500 show up and the venders will make time
Time has rarely been an issue for vendors. As you said, the bigger concern has been the cost-benefit of going - what does the vendor have to contribute, what expenses does the vendor have to take on, what opportunities are they having to pass on at the shop while they are away, etc. VERSUS revenue opportunities at the event, marketing exposure, etc.

The traditional concern about vendors at a Canadian event has been taxes / tariffs / whatever for taking tools and product across the border. However, if I remember correctly, I believe I talked to one of the vendors about the possibility of going to Canada 3-4 years ago and those concerns seemed to be less than they had been in the past.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Why not schedule a meeting while the 2018 Rally is on & invite all those attending about hosting future national rallies. Just a thought.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, a few of us had a talk during our annual Niagara Falls run, and concluded there were too many obstacles to hosting a Nationals in this area north of the border.

Good luck to any other group that is able to step up.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
several people mentioned here have been invited to a 2019 exploratory Group on FB

John Reidel is one of them.

not trying to pre-empt or step on anyone's toes...trying to make something happen in upstate NY

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
I am all for an event in upstate New York. The Finger Lakes and Watkins Glen would be a great location, but if you do your exploration on FB you'll be doing it without me.

I do urge you to explore quickly. Even with last year's experience I do not want to do another fast-track plan.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
John!!! You don't need to know when someone's pimple popped or look at ten million pet videos. You are never going to have any friends with this attitude. lol

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
John!!! You don't need to know when someone's pimple popped or look at ten million pet videos. You are never going to have any friends with this attitude. lol
I know, and I feel terrible about it. Actually this "exploration" is almost enough for me to sign up, but I can't quite get there yet.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I know, and I feel terrible about it. Actually this "exploration" is almost enough for me to sign up, but I can't quite get there yet.
Do what I did. I have a FB page as Rusty, primarily for my automotive interests, and another page under my real name, for family interests. That way my car friends aren't bored by all the pictures of my family, and my family isn't bored by all the pictures of my car. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I have one, just don't like messing with it in the slightest. Continuous friend requests and notifications. The last time I looked I had something like 300 notifications. I look at it about one every two months.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts