Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, welcome to the NASSAM 2020 thread.

As was announced at the 2018 NASSAM banquet, those who brought you NASSAM 2015 (Pacific Northwest Roadsters - PNWR) with some help from Ohio, Arkansas, Minnesota and the wonderful province of British Columbia are happy to bring you the 2020 version of NASSAM, this time hosted in Rapid City, South Dakota.

This thread in no way is an intent to take focus and planning effort from the 2019 event (some of us are working on that one too), but rather to simply let the community know that there is a 2020 event planned for June 21-26, 2020. As this constitutes a long drive for just about everyone, so we thought we'd get the word out and perhaps folks could plan a once in a lifetime trip to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer National Park, Devils Tower and my personal favorite, the Badlands of South Dakota.

Best regards from PNWR and our cast of thousands.

Hope to see you in 2020.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hello, welcome to the NASSAM 2020 thread.

As was announced at the 2018 NASSAM banquet, those who brought you NASSAM 2015 (Pacific Northwest Roadsters - PNWR) with some help from Ohio, Arkansas, Minnesota and the wonderful province of British Columbia are happy to bring you the 2020 version of NASSAM, this time hosted in Rapid City, South Dakota.

This thread in no way is an intent to take focus and planning effort from the 2019 event (some of us are working on that one too), but rather to simply let the community know that there is a 2020 event planned for June 21-26, 2020. As this constitutes a long drive for just about everyone, so we thought we'd get the word out and perhaps folks could plan a once in a lifetime trip to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer National Park, Devils Tower and my personal favorite, the Badlands of South Dakota.

Best regards from PNWR and our cast of thousands.

Hope to see you in 2020.
Thank you for the heads up. I was hoping the 2020 NASSAM would be in Canton, Ohio to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the highest attended NASSM or NASSAM ever. Why isn't there a poll on the Kappa forums (including Facebook) to see where everyone that wants to go to a nationals can cast a vote?? Living in Northeast, Ohio, I have a choice of driving 4.42 hours to Corning, NY in 2019 or 18.47 hours to Rapid City, SD in 2020. For various reasons, my wife and I were unable to attend the prior NASSAM's that were closer to us. I hope that everyone who attends the 2020 NASSAM has a great time. God willing, my wife and I will be in Corning, NY for the 2019 NASSAM.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
wow - excellent - the parties continue !!!

:party::party::party:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Why isn't there a poll on the Kappa forums (including Facebook) to see where everyone that wants to go to a nationals can cast a vote?

I think the simple answer to your question is that the folks who volunteer to host the event (and do all of the work) are given the choice of location. Pacific Northwest Roadsters hosted our first event close to home in Portland, Oregon knowing that we would not attract too many people from 3,000 miles away. Thus, for 2020 I was hoping to split the difference in mileage driven. And I might point out, if this were put to a vote each year...I'd speculate it would never occur west of the Mississippi River.

·
Super Moderator
15,966 Posts
It is put to a vote effectively and we have not had more than one location be in serious competition. Several times an individual or small group will volunteer and withdraw. Plus, the vast majority of attendees don’t regularly come to the forums anymore. They share on FB so any kind of voting would have to be implemented outside the Forums’s

·
Super Moderator
15,966 Posts
Thank you for the heads up. I was hoping the 2020 NASSAM would be in Canton, Ohio to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the highest attended NASSM or NASSAM ever. Why isn't there a poll on the Kappa forums (including Facebook) to see where everyone that wants to go to a nationals can cast a vote?? Living in Northeast, Ohio, I have a choice of driving 4.42 hours to Corning, NY in 2019 or 18.47 hours to Rapid City, SD in 2020. For various reasons, my wife and I were unable to attend the prior NASSAM's that were closer to us. I hope that everyone who attends the 2020 NASSAM has a great time. God willing, my wife and I will be in Corning, NY for the 2019 NASSAM.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think the simple answer to your question is that the folks who volunteer to host the event (and do all of the work) are given the choice of location. Pacific Northwest Roadsters hosted our first event close to home in Portland, Oregon knowing that we would not attract too many people from 3,000 miles away. Thus, for 2020 I was hoping to split the difference in mileage driven. And I might point out, if this were put to a vote each year...I'd speculate it would never occur west of the Mississippi River.
You know what, you are probably right. But that would mean that you would have to actually take a vote and see where the majority of people would want to have a NASSAM and based on the last couple of Nationals, that is not going to happen. I wish you all the best and am sure you will do a great job of hosting in 2020.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you want an event in Canton, pull together a group and make the offer. 2021 is open >:)
I was going to but I heard there were four people talking about hosting the 2021 NASSAM in Anchorage, Alaska so it is probably too late LOL.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I think Rapid City is a great choice for scenery but a bad choice for someone from East Tennessee that would have to travel about 1500 miles to get there. Just like Colorado this year and Corning next year. Both great locations just maybe not if you live in the Southeast. I'll probably wait until it comes back to Kentucky or some place closer. If I were retired I would love to travel to some of these other places. Here's to hoping NASSAM is still going on in about 15 years when I can travel to some of these further places :cheers:

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I like the Idea of NASSAMs being distributed all around the contiguous United States. The Ozarks and KY were doable for thr Eastern seaboard (north and south). Black Hawk was very centrally located. It drew cars from both coasts, Canada, and points north and south- Corning N.Y. is clearly East Coast, and Rapid City is again centraly located. Spreading the locations around gives ALL owners a shot at attending a NASSAM. If a particular area feels overlooked, form a planning group, reserve your date, and host a future NASSAM. I think this is a great system, and it is completely controlled by the owners most interested and motivated. Rather than complaining, get to work and make a NASSAM happen in your area. Colorado did it.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Glad to hear its Rapid City & were doing it in June not Aug. Done Sturgis on the bike about 6 times over the last 30yrs . Nice to do it in the Solstice with a lot less traffic. Willing to help out if needed .

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A request to the moderators, would it be proper to make this into a "sticky" so folks can find it? And I'd guess the same for 2019 though I don't speak for that team.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I think Rapid City is a great choice for scenery but a bad choice for someone from East Tennessee that would have to travel about 1500 miles to get there. Just like Colorado this year and Corning next year. Both great locations just maybe not if you live in the Southeast. I'll probably wait until it comes back to Kentucky or some place closer. If I were retired I would love to travel to some of these other places. Here's to hoping NASSAM is still going on in about 15 years when I can travel to some of these further places :cheers:
FWIW - it was in Kentucky in 2017, Arkansas in 2016, North Carolina in 2012, and Ohio in 2010.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts