Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,870 Posts
We in Colorado are now in a similar condition. I have been working from home for two weeks and have at least another two to go. We are mostly enjoying the time without the commute
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
In Michigan we are in day 4 of a 3 week Shelter in Place order. So I understand. I think you are handling the situation correctly as we will hopefully be past this crisis by June. We are looking forward to attending, but I also will understand if it is eventually canceled due to forces out of our control.

Stay Positive, and Stay Healthy!
 
  • Like
Reactions: easyryderca

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Hello folks: People have been asking about the possible cancellation of this event which does seem a reasonable question. Here is our approach...On or about May 1st we have to make final arrangements with the hotel, order t-shirts and a couple of other things. Here in Washington State we are in a "Stay Home, Stay Safe" situation (AKA "Shelter in Place") until the end of April. Until then we are keeping the option open to have the event this year as planned. So, please keep an eye out because we'll likely make a call on May 1st. We have a couple of options we're looking into for postponement, one is to move to later this year and the other is moving to 2022, both of those options have pros and cons we're evaluating. So if we can all hang on until May 1st we'll see where we are at that point and what our options really are with our vendors and hotel. Best regards, Rick and Karen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Hello Friends:

While we have not made a determination with regard to cancelling the event and will not make the decision until the early May, we have received a few cancellations, not relating to the pandemic situation.

In the future if you elect to cancel for whatever reason please email us at [email protected] and let us know what you would like to do with your registration fees. Please consider the following:

1. DDM made a deposit to rent a tent that is not refundable. Karen and I would like to be able to cover that cost of $1,100.
2. We intend to contribute any proceeds to the charity. Their needs don't go away just because our event did.

It is certainly understandable if you would like to get a refund. Keep in mind that the refund will be less any transaction fees.

Please note, we do not intend to fulfill orders for t-shirts, patches and coins by mail. The amount of work to accomplish the packing and shipment of those items exceeds time available.
Your decisions need not be posted publicly, email will work just fine.

Thank you for your support.

Rick and Karen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Hello folks. We're not cancelling yet, but just in case you might pencil in Rapid City for June 26-July 1, 2022. The hotel is allowing us until May 15 this year to cancel, but holding the 2022 dates for us. We couldn't get the week of the solstice in 2022 because the hotel is already booked. Let this be a lesson to planners, book your hotel about 2 1/2 years in advance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,042 Posts
Rick, really appreciate how you are keeping all up to date.

I know one of the guys in Northern California mentioned wanting to be involved, but I haven't heard a single word about it since. Normally my Palm Springs run is the largest in California, I would think I would have heard about it. Nothing mentioned by the SoCal Roadster club. I am trying to verify from Robo if he is involved. He hasn't mentioned it to me, and I see him at least once or twice a month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
I will need to check my records as it has been a while but there is a Northern CA National planned for...I believe...2022. I think that was when it was penciled in because I seem to remember 2020 and 2021 already planned...

All I know is they wanted me to set up the autocross and they wanted me there for something else. Lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
I will need to check my records as it has been a while but there is a Northern CA National planned for...I believe...2022. I think that was when it was penciled in because I seem to remember 2020 and 2021 already planned...

All I know is they wanted me to set up the autocross and they wanted me there for something else. Lol
We have not yet finalized the hotel by contract for 2022 in California. Consequently the idea was made to move California to 2023 or 2024 depending on West Virginia in one of those two years. The 2022 California planning committee would like to see the Rapid City event happen in priority over California.
 

·
AKA SolWhat?
Joined
·
10,558 Posts
I will need to check my records as it has been a while but there is a Northern CA National planned for...I believe...2022. I think that was when it was penciled in because I seem to remember 2020 and 2021 already planned...

All I know is they wanted me to set up the autocross and they wanted me there for something else. Lol
The reason I called you out is that I recall you as the one saying it was being planned for California in 2022.

:dunno:

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
The reason I called you out is that I recall you as the one saying it was being planned for California in 2022.

:dunno:

.
We may have posted our last messages at the same instant so you may not have seen my most recent note...

We have not yet finalized the hotel by contract for 2022 in California. Consequently the idea was made to move California to 2023 or 2024 depending on West Virginia in one of those two years. The 2022 California planning committee would like to see the Rapid City event happen in priority over California.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
619 Posts
Several of us West Coast Kappas have been recon running around the Santa Rosa area over the last year, getting ideas for the 2022 event. But all the heavy planning falls on Mysolst and his committee. I'm still hoping that we can pull off this year's event!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
The reason I called you out is that I recall you as the one saying it was being planned for California in 2022.

:dunno:

.
No worries. I would like to see Cali in 2022 but not my call.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
247 Posts
Just to clarify about NASSAM 2020 and NASSAM 2022... mysolst is the chief organizer for 2020 - South Dakota but is also helping with 2022 - California. I am the chief organizer for 2022 - California (with lots of help from Robert and West Coast Kappa Club), but am helping with 2020 also.

I was the one who first suggested (albeit behind the scenes) that if 2020 gets cancelled due to coronavirus, that 2020 take the 2022 spot and we will defer California a year. Mysolst has put a ton of work into 2020 and it is going to be a great event whether it happens this year or two years from now. California is planned, but flexible because we haven’t signed any contracts yet.

As an aside, the reason 2021 is out is because Michigan Kappa Club is already well into putting together what will also be an outstanding event for next summer.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Hello Folks: Just a note for those who have cancelled or plan to. Please be patient with Karen and me about the timing of refunds. We're trying to do refunds once a week in a batch rather than every day. We have six in the que right now.

We have not postponed the event yet, but we're likely to. Here in Washington state the governor is looking to extend the stay-at-home through much of May which is particularly problematic in trying to hold on to doing something in June.

Also, the states of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming currently don't want us travelling from Washington. Lots of other considerations as well. Tune back in next Monday. Stay safe. Rick and Karen
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,468 Posts
While it is actually a better timeframe weather-wise for an event like this, August or September is a problem for many people due to school schedules.

And there is that whole "Solstice" thing. Why do we care about that again?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Moving this event to the fall of 2020 is problematic in many ways for the organizers. That option was taken off the table early on. Sorry about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
Good Evening:

I just tuned in to the Rapid City Council meeting. They have voted to allow some businesses including restaurants and bars to open beginning shortly with restrictions. For example, restaurants will be limited to ½ capacity, and they’ll try to keep tables six feet apart. I won’t go into further details, suffice it to say that the council is interested is seeing if the community can cautiously go back to work while keeping sickness in check. As one council member noted, they are not throwing the doors open. Currently Rapid City has no one hospitalized due to COVID-19, clearly, they would like to keep it that way.
We’ll continue to monitor the situation in South Dakota including businesses along the routes we’ve planned for the runs. There are some challenges, for example, Wall Drug is currently closed as it the visitors center in the Badlands. We may have to reroute runs in some fashion to make sure we have places for breaks along the way. Some of the restaurants where we’d planned to stop may only be takeout if they elect to open by June at all. If some of the existing restrictions still apply in June, we’ll end up making the runs ad hoc. We won’t have enough run captains for groups of five or six cars, so we may ask you to print maps before leaving home.
We spoke to the hotel today and they could not be more helpful. There was another group scheduled in the hotel at the same time as we’re there, but they have cancelled. Right now, the hotel of 267 rooms has about 10 rooms reserved per night. We’ve begun to explore ways that we would be able to meet restrictions for groups gathering including making the banquet into an outdoor barbeque. They’ve offered to allow us a much larger room for check in and silent auction which would allow us to keep our distance from ourselves. 😊
My point is that if we can gather it won’t be exactly what we had planned. We’re just interested in managing expectations for those of you who choose to join us. We’d hoped to make a decision on or about May 1st, but things are changing quickly around the country so we’ve planned another meeting with the hotel on May 15th to see where we are at that time. The hotel has agreed to help us keep the door open as long as possible which is about June 7th. If we can come, they would love to have us. I’m sure you can imagine that they care about their own health and well-being that we do not wish to jeopardize, but if things continue to look good, they will welcome our business. There is a Camaro gathering in Sturgis while we’re there, maybe we’ll see a few of those cars running around as well, they have yet to cancel their event.
We have had a couple of cancellations from folks who have concerns about their own age and health, we urge all of you to keep your own situation in mind. There is no problem for you to cancel, just let us know.
And let me also add, if we have waivered at all about the possibility of postponing the event it is simply because it is hard to judge what is going on around the nation. I think Washington state has the harshest restrictions in the country, consequently, distancing ourselves (no pun intended) from the cautionary sensibility of our governor has been challenging. There is some likelihood that our stay at home restrictions will be extended to June 1st shortly. So, if my posts have caused anyone confusion you have my sincerest apologies.
Best regards, Rick and Karen
 
81 - 100 of 134 Posts
Top