Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I am one of the web developers for the 2015 event, and we received a cease and desist letter from the North American Society for Sport Management instructing us to stop using their trademarked "NASSM" abbreviation in association with our events.

I researched their trademark and spoke to their attorney, and I reached out to the organizers of both the 2015 and 2016 events. After some discussion, we have offered to put a "not affiliated with" disclaimer on the 2015 websites and social media pages, and then ask future organizers to NOT use these initials on any events in 2016 and beyond.

The organizers of the 2016 event have a good grasp of the legal issues and will be sharing more details regarding re-naming their event after they have a chance to talk to the attorney themselves, so expect something in the next few days/weeks.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
That's crazy there are 10 registered organizations that currently use ADA as their trademark abbreviation ie, American Dental Association, American Diabetes Association, Americans with Disability Act. They all coexist peacefully and the world has not come to an end. These sport management dweebs need to not take themselves so serious and chill.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Yeah if the community had the money they could likely tell the managers and their lawyers to pound salt. Just don't use the abbreviation on the site in 2016.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts