Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
This is a good spot for discussions.

So far:
2020 has been announced for Rapid City, South Dakota.
2021 has been announced for Bellaire, Michigan.
2022 - I have seen something about Beckley, West Virginia.

The current state of affairs: If you or a group has a spot to have a big get together (more than 100 cars or so) and you can finance the up front costs, you can host the national. After all, who is going to tell you you cannot. We have no national governing body, just a bunch of rag tag enthusiasts.

Let her rip.

Discussions are open.

:dthumbs:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Looks like it's time for a West Coast location... maybe for 2022 or 2023 what about Reno? Centered north/south, I80 access east/west, plenty of hotel rooms and great drive opportunities (Lake Tahoe). Does one club have to run it or could it be a group effort between West Coast, Pacific Northwest, Seattle, So. Cal, Vegas, Phoenix and Denver clubs?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looks like it's time for a West Coast location... maybe for 2022 or 2023 what about Reno? Centered north/south, I80 access east/west, plenty of hotel rooms and great drive opportunities (Lake Tahoe). Does one club have to run it or could it be a group effort between West Coast, Pacific Northwest, Seattle, So. Cal, Vegas, Phoenix and Denver clubs?
We've started kicking this one around for Reno which could be a real kick given Virginia City, Lake Tahoe and so on. I'm hoping to be down to SoCal for the San Diego run in the fall to kick around the idea...likely for 2023. I'm going to need some recovery time from 2020! I'm guessing we're all heading to WV for 2022.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
We've started kicking this one around for Reno which could be a real kick given Virginia City, Lake Tahoe and so on. I'm hoping to be down to SoCal for the San Diego run in the fall to kick around the idea...likely for 2023. I'm going to need some recovery time from 2020! I'm guessing we're all heading to WV for 2022.
I'll put some feelers out with the California clubs... Denver and Phoenix should be involved.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Reno/Sparks would be great and I will do what I can on behalf of Tucson. But let's think '23. WV is ready, has a strong club (MI) behind it, and has been test run as a regional event.

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
WickedMike created this neat map of all of the National Event locations:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
By convention, 2022 should be somewhere west. Is anyone out there interested? Now is the time to start talking about it.
I am currently mulling over a 2022 out west, way west. Will advise shortly.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Let me suggest something. I know we have moderators on the forum.... I think our community is big enough and old enough now to maybe have volunteers and a board (if we don't already have a board). I know RTE is a lead member on the forum. Have the board members "geographically" located. Say 1 from each state and then of those, have 5 or so that are "regional" and that discuss what the state leaders bring to them. And this "board" would make decisions together. There are computer programs like "gotomeeting" where the 10 members can discuss plans and items. Maybe even get the vendors involved in this that are still around...like DDM and PAW and Windrestrictor. Maybe this all goes on already. I know that my manager at the body shop was the Porsche club President for MI, and he had monthly meetings with MI, IL, IN, OH, and WI. And bi-yearly meetings with all of the states to discuss meets and activities.
We used to have a governing body - NASSOA - but it fell apart long ago. And effort to revive it around 2012 also died. So we basically have gone with, who is willing to step up and do the work.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Based on in person discussions at NASSAM last week, assume WV is at best a backup plan for 2022.

Reno / Tahoe has logistical and traffic issues with runs (like two lane roads in Tahoe at rush hour), but there are other better options out there...

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
You meant 2022, didn't you? Isn't 2020 (next year) South Dakota? Or did I miss something?
Yep, I made a typo. Fixed it. Thanks John

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
I think your correct liquid! Sirwm stated I did this but I didn’t. You get the credit for publishing this. Nice job!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I think your correct liquid! Sirwm stated I did this but I didn’t. You get the credit for publishing this. Nice job!
WM, has the Michigan Kappa Group ever discussed holding a regional type show? It seems like there are enough MI members to make it happen. I could see a Michigan Regionals draw participants from Ontario, Ohio, Indiana & Illinois.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Dan: I guess we will find out with how the nassam 2021 in MI goes. We could also sponsor something in WV because 30 of us did it last year and have all the cruises and focal points sellected. MKC has short day cruises about every other weekend all summer. This year the weather hasn’t been nice to us, so far. Come join us sometime! Drive those cars!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I attended NASSAM for the first time this year. It was loads of fun. I also saw how the organizers were really doing a lot to make the event a great thing. I would like to volunteer for the upcoming years. I am not sure I can make it to Rapid City due to distance and work, but I would be very eager to help behind the scenes if needed.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Dan: I guess we will find out with how the nassam 2021 in MI goes. We could also sponsor something in WV because 30 of us did it last year and have all the cruises and focal points sellected. MKC has short day cruises about every other weekend all summer. This year the weather hasn’t been nice to us, so far. Come join us sometime! Drive those cars!
Captain Obvious here, the reason I suggested MKC is to keep it local along w/offering different experiences other than going on long cruises. For example visiting the Henry Ford Museum Complex, Belle Island (great place for a car show), Green Field Village, & Renaissance Centre. Throw in an autocross and swap meet and cars for sale area, etc at a host hotel.

BTW, I'm not suggesting a week long event, more like three days. Also not suggesting a regional event anytime soon, just something to discuss and think about to keep it local in in the future. Because I do believe holding a regional in the same place every year would encourage more and more people to attend an event that they know is going to be in the same place every year.

BTW, our great city planning department pulverized our asphalt road last Saturday, and then left. We haven't seen hide or hare of one road crew person all week. Add all the rain we've received and we have ruts, mud puddles and now road dust stirred up by people ignoring the road closed signs. Point being, cars haven't been moved for about two weeks now, but my insurance company is happy to keep reaching their payments.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts