Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found on forum.miata.net. All are sitting at Port Hueneme in CA.

Is it just me or does the white one in the last pic look like an anime ghost face?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think they might already be on the streets. Last Saturday 8/6, I saw one going up road J12 towards Lake Nacimiento near Paso Robles, CA. as I was leaving the lake. It was silver. Maybe it was a pre-sale car I don't know. Seems Mazda is in a competition with Pontiac for roadster domination and Pontiac has already won round one: how many heads are turned when you drive down the road. :cool: The one I saw you have to do a double take because it looks so much like previous Miatas. The general public is barely going to notice them.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My opinion is that the Mazda does not keep true to the theme of the original Miata style. My 2000 has great lines, very much like a shortened Jag XKE, lots of british roadster influence. The new Mazda looks too much like they had too many 1/2 off coupons for an aftermarket company so they used them to add fender flares and poor examples of ground effects. The Solstice is hitting the road at just the right time. I've been stopped many times at our local coffee shop and asked about my Miata. The majority of people who really do know cars are disappointed in the new Mazda styling and they aren't afraid to state it. Mazda may have shot themselves in the foot with this one. Sure there may be more horsepower than in the past but it's like asking an ugly girl to the prom, only this time you can't find a large enough bag to hid it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess that this is a personal opinion. The NB looks too generic to me - as if they tried to hard to add "classic" sport car cues and it does not work too well because the wheelbase is too short - while the NC is like a modern interpretation of the NA which I like a lot better.

I am waiting to see both cars in real life to form an opinion. I like the way the Solstice looks - but the new Miata is growing on me by the day.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I hate to comment on a car's styling without seeing it in person, and I am yet to see the NC Miata in person. So I will cautiously make some comments based on those pictures and reserve the right to change my judgment.

From what I have seen, the new Miata simply has gone with a less coke-bottle shape which makes it appear straighter down the flanks with less curvature to the body. Maybe this was in part to increase passenger compartment room, since cokebottle shapes tend to pinch the cabin. Then, to compensate for the straighter flanks, they made the wheel flairs more pronounced to add some more visual flair back in. It does have a strong resemblance to the NA Miata, but it is also obvious that itt akes a lot of elements from the Ibuki (sp) showcar.

I am not sure this styling approach really works. At least it doesn't in pics, it may look better in 3d (most cars do... and the Solstice is definately one of those cars that must be seen in person to really grasp the intracacies of the styling). On the NC Miata, the wheel flares just seem a little forced to me. I think they detract a little from the overal style as they are too pronounced. It is still a good looking car, but they should be a little more subtle.

That said, I am very excited to see one. I have always been a big Miata fan, and would probably own one (an NB) already if the Solstice didn't steal my heart at the 2002 NAIAS, and then GM announcing it would be produced at the 2004 show.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven't seen one of the new miata's in person, yet. However, the pictures make it look a whole lot like my 1999 Miata. I can certainly see some differences, but nothing that makes me go "wow". Since I'm hanging out in this forum you may be able to guess that the sol does make me go "wow". :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
From what I'm reading about the NC, those who have seen it say it looks better in real life than it does in pictures. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
i saw one driving here in pontiac MI they look i think it looks alot like the ibuku or whatever it is called

·
Registered
164 Posts
Drex said:
Is it just me or does the white one in the last pic look like an anime ghost face?
To me, all of them look like they are designed by the folks that brought us Pokemon.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Miata.......A Bar of Soap......Simple Styling......

rloewy said:
I am waiting to see both cars in real life to form an opinion. I like the way the Solstice looks - but the new Miata is growing on me by the day.
I've owned 6 Miata's. I've seen the new one in person. I am HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED with MAZDA. I was really hoping for something that would be different. Unfortunately, It does look like a BAR OF SOAP. Just makes me sick as a fan of this car. I remember the excitement behind the 1990 model. No hype or excitement on this one. After one or two model years, Miata will lose at least 50% of the market share to Pontiac. The new king of the two seat roadster in America will be the Pontiac Solstice! The truth has been spoken, my dollars going to GM.
:yesnod:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts