Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, not so much a convention as a bunch of people getting together and gawking over each other's cars. Anyway I would like to try and organize something for a weekend in mid-spring like this. In the way of location, I was thinking of the following:

Atlantic City
Wildwood
Cape May
Long Beach Island

Some of you guys give me a hand in figuring out where to do it!

If I start making plans now, we will definately pull it off.

Keep in mind things have to be made such as RSVP, Hotel reservations, an Itinerary, etc....

This could be like bike week, jus call it Sol week instead!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have been to the last 4 New Jersey HOG Rally's in Wildwood. Wildwood gets my vote. As long as my schedule permits, I'll be there! Wildwood over Memorial Day weekend is fun to. Not to crowded yet and rental prices are still low before the summer rates kick in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My plan is to try my best to coordinate a weekend where the most people can attend. I want to do it in late Spring though because I would like to have it before you can't move down the shore. We've got some time to work with here, let's see what we can do.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My vote is for LBI or Cape May.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I have to second Wildwood, and Memorial Day Weekend would be a good weekend to do it! My psuedo-family has a small yacht down there that would do me quite nicely for sleeping arrangements. Plus, knowing A LOT of cops that know cops down there, we might be able to get a permit to park on the beach for a while for a really awesome photo opportunity!

·
Registered
846 Posts
How about a parade on the Board Walk? The Solstice may not handle the Sand to well.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
LBI is nice, but there aren't a lot of large size hotels or motels down there. ildwood or Cape May would probably be better for a group gathering. I'm not much into gambling, so AC would be the bottom of my list.

But anywhere at the shore would be great for a Solstice gathering!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wildwood

Wildwood is the most economical. Biker weekend in Wildwood is the weekend after Labor Day, so the Spring is open. LBI isn't close to anything. Ocean City has no bars. Atlantic City is overwhelming. Hotel rooms in Cape May run $150 off-season, so it's very expensive. Avalon and Stone Harbor are boring. I vote for Wildwood. However, a bunch of the hotels are being knocked down and replaced by condominiums. Need to book early. And, how is this going to effect the Watkins Glen get together?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the date of the Watkin's Glen get together? If this conflicts with that, I have no problem changing the date, as this is all preliminary right now. I'm just trying to plan early.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
jerzkid said:
What's the date of the Watkin's Glen get together? If this conflicts with that, I have no problem changing the date, as this is all preliminary right now. I'm just trying to plan early.
Watkin's Glen is April 30th. So if we stick to something around Memorial Day, I think we should be okay. Watkin's Glen is more of a racetrack oriented event, and a NJ Shore event would probably be more of a leisurely cruising type of event, so I don't think they would be repetitous.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dengel said:
Watkin's Glen is more of a racetrack oriented event, and a NJ Shore event would probably be more of a leisurely cruising type of event, so I don't think they would be repetitous.

:agree: Watkin's Glen will be a "look how fast I can go" with limited outside audience. I will be there on two conditions. If I have my car by then and If I can get off work. The NJ shore is more aimed at "look at my car and drool" That's why I chose such a high profile weekend to do it. It is just a really good time to get a bunch of cars together and show them off to the unfortunate public that doesn't know.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Okay, the Jersey Shore is fine.

jerzkid said:
:agree: Watkin's Glen will be a "look how fast I can go" with limited outside audience. I will be there on two conditions. If I have my car by then and If I can get off work. The NJ shore is more aimed at "look at my car and drool" That's why I chose such a high profile weekend to do it. It is just a really good time to get a bunch of cars together and show them off to the unfortunate public that doesn't know.
:confused: Are there going to be any organized events like a poker run or a gimmick rallye?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
jerzkid said:
Just to avoid confusion or disappointment, the Watkins Glen track is a paced lap event. Usually you can easily get enough speed up to have fun, but it's not like an open track session where you can tear around the circuit at will.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Jersey shore get together is in the very most premature stages right now. It is simply an idea. This is my first time trying to organize something like this and I know I need to do it in advance. I only want it to be Friday through Monday, with everyone arriving mid-day Friday, and departing mid day Monday, after maybe a breakfast or brunch. If there is anyone who would like to help me in trying to bring this together, please email me at

[email protected]

Please do not use the email I have posted in my profile, as pertinent information may get lost in that account, there's a lot of traffic on that one.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Jerz, check out Crimson Avenger's post about their West Coast meet this weekend. It looks like a well organized event, and could give us some ideas. http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115938&postcount=1

I'm all for not re-inventing the wheel and am always willing to "seek knowledge" from others whenever I can. (hey, I work for the government, "cut and paste" is an important job skill.)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a lot! That is really well organized. Looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to Wildwood one day and scout out possible things to do. I like how they covered everythng individually (money wise), I was beginning to get confused as to how I would pull that off. If theres anyone that would like to help me please PM or email me!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Memorial Day?

Memorial Day may not be the best weekend to have the event to get maximum participation. Many people have other events like parades, memorial services, picnics, etc. to go to annually. Additionally, the traffic to the Jersey shore on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend is horrible! You may want to think about doing it the weekend before memorial day. Also, hotels in North Wildwood are very reasonable. I went to an event last summer where our group booked the entire hotel. We had a great time. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Once again, any ideas anyone has will help greatly! Keep in mind as of right now EVERYTHING is tenative. I have confirmed nothing as of yet, with the exception that the general majority agrees on Wildwood. If you have any ideas to contribute, simply send me an email and I will throw them into the woodwork.

·
2,574 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Just to avoid confusion or disappointment, the Watkins Glen track is a paced lap event. Usually you can easily get enough speed up to have fun, but it's not like an open track session where you can tear around the circuit at will.

We talked about Watkins Glen in an earlier and there seemed to be support for doing something there including the paced lap event, is that no longer true? I'm still very interested in that. Also there has benn discussion of doing something in the east around late June also for the summer solstice. Could be we need to focus on a couple and be done with it. Not trying to be difficult but the Dragon's Tail has also been mentioned with some folks interested. May need a poll soon. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts