Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just removed the VDI hinges from sisters car. Going to list them for sale soon. Have new hinges installed but Dave from DDM said he never removes the door stops or straps so they would be attached....but they are not. Doors work the way my sis wants them too but have no limiter to stop them from opening to far and breaking or denting other things.

I know its a simple part but between me and Google, I'm lost. I looked for sky and solstice door parts and came up empty.

Anyone have a parts book to help? Or maybe a couple lying around?

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes...that's it...thanks...its listed as a link...not a stop nor a strap.

What do I know.

Thanks again

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Yes...that's it...thanks...its listed as a link...not a stop nor a strap.
It does LINK the door to the door frame, but then so do the hinges. At times there is no rhyme or reason to what GM calls an item, but I'm not an automotive engineer or parts guy. :dunno:

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
It does LINK the door to the door frame, but then so do the hinges. At times there is no rhyme or reason to what GM calls an item, but I'm not an automotive engineer or parts guy. :dunno:

Good luck!
Gawd. Part naming has been a pain in my a$$ for the 30 years I've been in the automotive supply chain. Here's an example that is very close to home.

I design a rubber liner to go inside of a storage bin in an over head console. It's purpose is to reduce the vibration rattle of loose items such as sunglasses. I generate the 3D model, save the file under it's part number with the name "Liner - Storage Bin" to indicate that it's function is a liner that goes into a storage bin. I generate a 2D drawing with the same part number and exact same description.

Sales takes it to the customer for approval and says to the buyer "Hey, here's that mat part we talked about." Buyer makes a note that we are the supplier of part number X - "Mat" and enters that into his system. I get a purchase order to tool up part number X and it calls it a "Mat".

I issue the order to the tool shop to build part numb X "Liner - Storage Bin" so that the shop knows to build to the exact file that I sent to them. I issue the 2D drawing to our quality assurance drawing so tooling, engineering, and Q.A. are all calling it the same thing.

The quality manager submits his production approval records as part number X "Bin Liner" and a week later gets approval on same. A week later order entry receives an order for parts from the customers buyer. He's looking for 5,000 pieces of part number X - "Mat". Our system calls it a "Liner - Storage Bin". Order entry asks our Q.A. department if we have approval for a Mat, they tell her that it's called a bin liner, they come to me for clarification and I tell them it's a Liner - Storage Bin.

And our production people call it a "Pork Chop" because the profile of the mat looks like the outline of a pork chop.

So whenever these issues come up I just tell everyone "You can call it 'Bleen' or whatever the [email protected]#$ you want. All I care is that the [email protected]#$ part number and !#@$ revision level match."

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Gawd. Part naming has been a pain in my a$$ for the 30 years I've been in the automotive supply chain. Here's an example that is very close to home.

<some parts deleted for brevity . . .>

So whenever these issues come up I just tell everyone "You can call it 'Bleen' or whatever the [email protected]#$ you want. All I care is that the [email protected]#$ part number and !#@$ revision level match."
Wait, they might use it on another vehicle, and then it'll have another partnumber . . . and maybe two or three other names . . .

Sometime you have to wonder how anything gets built. I repped a number of Japanese and Taiwanese companies in the plastic forming/packaging industry for a number of years. Throw a bit of translation issues into the mix and add a 6 - 8 month lead time . . . :devil:

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Try working with the Russians! They drink half a bottle of Vodka at lunch and expect you to do the same! And these are their rocket scientists :willy:

By the afternoon you can not remember your own name let alone why you came to work that day.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Yeah but Rob, some days that works to your advantage.

Like today, for instance.

And Dave? I remember working on some development projects with Mazda and Ford when they first started collaborating way back when. We we asked to bid on a packing of components. So a crew gathered in my R&D department to roll out blueprints (remember those?) because we had the biggest tables there. First one out - the title block called it a Rumbar Rever.

Took a minute but we realized it was the Lumbar Lever for the front seats - that was the actual spelling on the drawing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts