Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock '06 Solstice muffler/exhaust system. I do not like the fact that it is so quiet! Would like to get a muffler that purrs a bit. I have "cherry bombs" on one of my MG's and that is really too friggin loud! Looking for something that has a nice rumble to it but will not make the neighbors or surrounding traffic upset. Any recommendations? Nearest auto stores to me are Advance and O'reillys. All I really want is the muffler. I can do all the welding mods needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I want something a little more throaty but not obnoxious. Also cat backs don't really add more power so I'm really only looking at the muffler.

Pretty much the only thing I've come up with is a Magnaflow muffler.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I wonder what a Corvair turbo muffler (short with 2 1/2" dia inlet) would sound like? I bet Walker still list them. Remember the Corvair Spyders? Just wonder with that roof if you will get any drone? My NA coupe has an anti drone resonator on the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I want something a little more throaty but not obnoxious. Also cat backs don't really add more power so I'm really only looking at the muffler.

Pretty much the only thing I've come up with is a Magnaflow muffler.
So speaking of this( a little hi jack, sorry)I have an opportunity to pick up this:

Dual exhaust for 2006 - 2009 Pontiac solstice - Winnipeg Other Parts, Accessories For Sale - Kijiji Winnipeg Canada.

This would be for my GXP so basically I would get it for the muffler and dual tips,what do you all think this would be worth? I low balled him(I kinda of feel bad and I will not repeat the price I threw out) but of course he didn't bite.

Bert

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
I won a Solo Performance exhaust system at NASSM in Austin two years ago and I love it. On a trip down to San Antonio from Des Moines a couple of weeks ago, Grandpa's Solstice developed a whistle. A neighbor who runs a muffler shop discovered a few hairline stress cracks in the Solo header. I called and talked to Jeff at Solo for about 45 seconds. He said they had experienced a few similar failures and had updated the design. He said he would like to send me the updated version at no charge. I agreed. I'm on the road again in Virginia, but my new header is waiting for me at home.

I call that standing behind your product -- even one that you gave away. You won't go wrong with Solo Performance.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I won a Solo Performance exhaust system at NASSM in Austin two years ago and I love it. On a trip down to San Antonio from Des Moines a couple of weeks ago, Grandpa's Solstice developed a whistle. A neighbor who runs a muffler shop discovered a few hairline stress cracks in the Solo header. I called and talked to Jeff at Solo for about 45 seconds. He said they had experienced a few similar failures and had updated the design. He said he would like to send me the updated version at no charge. I agreed. I'm on the road again in Virginia, but my new header is waiting for me at home.

I call that standing behind your product -- even one that you gave away. You won't go wrong with Solo Performance.
You can't buy good publicity like you just gave Solo. That's a great story. :yesnod:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a stock 06 also. I purchased the axle back kit from solo performance. I have to say it sounds amazing! Very throaty but not obnoxiously loud.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
I've got a Magnaflow catback system on mine and love it it is the same one that the Pontiac dealers sold as an option on our cars .If you shop around parts stores Ebay etc. you can find some deals the plus was that it was easy to install.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I might have missed it, but is yours a GXP or NA? A HF Cat (Solo, of course) will increase the noise a bit without making it sound like a flatulating ricer.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
I might have missed it, but is yours a GXP or NA? A HF Cat (Solo, of course) will increase the noise a bit without making it sound like a flatulating ricer.
If it's an 06 (original post), it's an NA... GXP didn't come til 07

1 - 14 of 14 Posts