Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking for a cat back exhaust system but I am unsure what would carry on best for a turbo build(my next planned build) I am currently looking at the solo single that is on the DDM Works website. cant anyone give me some info on what would carry over well?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
man I hate this time difference where I am to the states im never on when active useres are on lol

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I would ask DDM their opinion but you can't go wrong with Solo. They have fantastic customer support and build an amazing system.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet thanks Sly I will have to send them an e-mail.
my friends were saying to go with a 3in exhaust but most of what I am finding is 2.5in. I understand their why they say 3in for the lower back pressure for the turbo. my real question I guess is does the .5in really make that big of a difference?

·
Registered
263 Posts
it will when you are turboed, but you could lose a lot of your low end with your current n/a set up

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
sweet thanks Sly I will have to send them an e-mail.
my friends were saying to go with a 3in exhaust but most of what I am finding is 2.5in. I understand their why they say 3in for the lower back pressure for the turbo. my real question I guess is does the .5in really make that big of a difference?
The 3" system is going to be best for higher horsepower turbo setups, but on the car naturally aspirated it is going to be loud for most people's taste. What power level are you looking at being at with the turbo system on the car? If you are looking at staying around 250hp at the wheels the 2.5" system will work fine, but if you are looking at making 350hp at the wheels, the 3" system is going to be what you are looking for.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 3" system is going to be best for higher horsepower turbo setups, but on the car naturally aspirated it is going to be loud for most people's taste. What power level are you looking at being at with the turbo system on the car? If you are looking at staying around 250hp at the wheels the 2.5" system will work fine, but if you are looking at making 350hp at the wheels, the 3" system is going to be what you are looking for.

Hope that helps,
Dave
I am looking for the 300 range as of now

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
I am looking for the 300 range as of now
If you are talking 300ish at the wheels I would be looking at a 3" system. You could run a 2.5" system and it will be quieter, but the 3.0" system will give you better performance at that power level.

So you just need to decide if you can put up with the sound from the 3.0" system until you get the turbo, or just wait and do them both at the same time.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
If you are talking 300ish at the wheels I would be looking at a 3" system. You could run a 2.5" system and it will be quieter, but the 3.0" system will give you better performance at that power level.

So you just need to decide if you can put up with the sound from the 3.0" system until you get the turbo, or just wait and do them both at the same time.
Dave, would there be any benefit for me to change the pipes on my stage II? I am currently using stock pipes back to a Flowmaster 40 series. Thanks!

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Dave, would there be any benefit for me to change the pipes on my stage II? I am currently using stock pipes back to a Flowmaster 40 series. Thanks!
Are you on stock exhaust manifold? Even on the long tube headers and a Stage 3 supercharger there is not going to be a large power increase with the 3" exhaust, although there will be a noticeable increase in sound.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

well the sound wont be a problem seeing how I am not able to drive my car for another 45 weeks seeing how I am stationed over seas.

the one issue I am having is that I cant seem to be able to find the 3" system.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
anyword yet Dave?
I did have a chance to talk with [email protected] about doing the custom exhaust and he said it is not something they could do based on the jigs that they have for the 2.4L without doing it custom on the car.

The Magnaflow, Borla, Billy Boat and stainless works are all 2.5" also.

We have our own system that is 2.75", but with our jigs we can not do 3" either.

Still seeing if we can come up with a single 3" somewhere for you.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did have a chance to talk with [email protected] about doing the custom exhaust and he said it is not something they could do based on the jigs that they have for the 2.4L without doing it custom on the car.

The Magnaflow, Borla, Billy Boat and stainless works are all 2.5" also.

We have our own system that is 2.75", but with our jigs we can not do 3" either.

Still seeing if we can come up with a single 3" somewhere for you.
well that slows things down a little. I well keep looking myself, but it looks like I may just have to bite the bullet and get a dual out system

1 - 20 of 24 Posts