Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the high-flow cat from Solo, and recently installed their cat-back exhaust. Unfortunately, the position of the O2 sensor bung makes it point at the frame, so I can't use one of the long extenders. I tried a shorter extender, about 1.25" long, but the code still sets. Is there another solution to keep the CEL off? My car is due for inspection by the end of this month, and I'm running out of options.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Contact Solo for help. Doesn't sound like something's sitting right cause the O2 sensor shouldn't hit the frame.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently, they have the email addresses on their web site set to put everything into a spam bucket, and don't see emails. Only other way I've reached them is here.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I assume you are trying to contact Jeff with the email on his website. That should work but if it does not you could contact Steve Mariano at "goingsolo2[at]hotmail.com". He generally does the Sky stuff as well as other cars but he should be able to assist you.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the problem

When I took out the Solo cat to put the stock cat back in, I found it was half melted away. The Solo cat had been in for two years, no problems. Since the code set in the middle of the second autocross with the high-flow exhaust installed, I can only surmise that the combination of 'shorty' headers, high-flow exhaust, and sustained WOT was too much for it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
...and apparently the two comments which followed yours above were not to a moderators liking...

...what you missed was someone else commenting on a similar experience and me asking for other alternatives for hi flow cats...

See if this gets axed as well.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Guess that was my comment. lol. The absolute BEST fix is to have the ECU re-programed and turn off the 2nd O2 sensor. That's what I did and have had no problems since then. Past the state inspection with no problems. I bought the GMRoadster ECU re-tune. It works great for aftermarket cats with exhausts.

Otherwise you may want to look at a MagnaFlow High Flow Cat. I've seen some on ebay. Should be better then stock.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess that was my comment. lol. The absolute BEST fix is to have the ECU re-programed and turn off the 2nd O2 sensor. That's what I did and have had no problems since then. Past the state inspection with no problems. I bought the GMRoadster ECU re-tune. It works great for aftermarket cats with exhausts.

Otherwise you may want to look at a MagnaFlow High Flow Cat. I've seen some on ebay. Should be better then stock.
I'm going to get a tune from Werks; my previously tuned ECM failed, probably from the mouse damage to the wiring. So, another ECM and off I go.

If the MagnaFlow is no more robust than that from Solo, I'm not going to bother.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts