Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2006 Pontiac Solstice with 70k miles on it. It is a beautiful car that has been maintained very well. The used car dealer offers a 90 day warranty. The problem I am having with my car is the rear end. I have researched and found this is a problem with many people.

Here are my questions..

Currently the rear end clunks really badly and howls like a wolf when cruising at 65-75 mph or even in the mid 30s. Is this fixable? I want to take advantage of the used car dealers warranty they gave me and get it fixed but want to know what is going to need to be done.

I tested the clunking noise and it looks as if the drive shaft turns before the power gets to the rear wheels (like there is slack in the rear end). This seems to be causing the clunking noise.

I have inspected the rear end and do not see any of the seals leaking. The gasket side of the rear end has a black powdery substance that may be a very slow leak?

Any help is appreciated. Like i said i researched but couldnt find a suitable solution for my predicament.

Thanks!!! :lurk:

·
Registered
750 Posts
First thing would be to change out the diff fluid in the rear end. Also make sure you include the limited slip additive with the new fluid. As far as the clunk, make sure you check the bolts that connect the driveline to the differential assembly. There are I think 6 bolts (I should remember, I have had the thing apart so many times) LOL. If everything is tight, then the clunk is normal for the 2006 model. In 2007 they changed the transmission mount and added a torque bar that is used to keep the transmission and rear end in alignment. I actually upgraded my 2006 rear and and transmission just to add that feature. Not a job for the feint at heart. LOL

Good Luck.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
I recently purchased a 2006 Pontiac Solstice with 70k miles on it. It is a beautiful car that has been maintained very well. The used car dealer offers a 90 day warranty. The problem I am having with my car is the rear end. I have researched and found this is a problem with many people.

Here are my questions..

Currently the rear end clunks really badly and howls like a wolf when cruising at 65-75 mph or even in the mid 30s. Is this fixable? I want to take advantage of the used car dealers warranty they gave me and get it fixed but want to know what is going to need to be done.

I tested the clunking noise and it looks as if the drive shaft turns before the power gets to the rear wheels (like there is slack in the rear end). This seems to be causing the clunking noise.

I have inspected the rear end and do not see any of the seals leaking. The gasket side of the rear end has a black powdery substance that may be a very slow leak?

Any help is appreciated. Like i said i researched but couldnt find a suitable solution for my predicament.

Thanks!!! :lurk:
Tony hit most of the points.

The clunk is pretty common on a lot of the 2006 cars. Make sure that there is enough fluid in there, and like Tony suggested, swap the fluid and see how it goes from there.

There is a poly bushing that we sell for the front mount on the diff that some people have found helps with the clunk, some people report that it didn't change the clunk and some people report that it makes it worse, so you can take your chances with that also.

Good luck with it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts